The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#229733 - 08/12/11 06:16 AM Re: Prepper, Survivalist or Worse. [Re: ]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
This is one of those things the DOJ and FBI send out as a "feel good memo" to satisfy certain elements within the agency and justice department. It means nothing. There's a lot of stuff other agencies tell us to "report" to the authorities like people who litter.

Any businessman worth his salt, in this case an "Army Navy Store" isn't going to turn in his clientele.

I not sure you can compare littering to the possibility of erroneously being placed on a watch list with very real consequences.

#229738 - 08/12/11 11:40 AM Re: Prepper, Survivalist or Worse. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Whew ... that was close. Thank goodness I only own "day" flashlights. crazy

I love it when terms are coined that mean absolutely nothing. LOL

#229741 - 08/12/11 02:13 PM Re: Prepper, Survivalist or Worse. [Re: 7point82]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Whew ... that was close. Thank goodness I only own "day" flashlights.

It seems to be a pretty bizarre list considering ex mil surplus kit tends to be pretty poor, even mil spec IR flashlights can be easily outperformed for about $12 from DealExtreme.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/high-powere...ghts-8-4v-12625

and the digital NV monocular (approaching Gen 2 performance) I have was purchased from a local discount supermarket. Same with the 8x56 Binos for £50 (Superb low light performance and in many ways preferable in terms of tactical performance over NV, but does not appear on the FBI list)

http://www.alloutdoor.co.uk/binoculars/b...-binoculars.htm

I can understand the bulk MREs being on the list whistle (why would anyone want to eat them long term) but I don't understand the match case entry on the list nor the rifle bipod (potential sniper??)

Aside from the political viewpoint of the differences between the 'prepared', the 'prepper', the 'survivalist', the 'terrorist or insurgent' what kit level marks the various transition levels from one label to the next.

i.e. does a bug out bag transition you from 'the prepper' into the 'the survivalist' mindset for example.

An SAS survival tin PSK may in some circles tag you 'hardcore' for example.

The psychology of this is actually quite interesting as to what kit you own is appropriate to you but seems strange to other more normal members of society

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/12/11 02:31 PM)

#229744 - 08/12/11 02:27 PM Re: Prepper, Survivalist or Worse. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians

#229746 - 08/12/11 02:44 PM Re: Prepper, Survivalist or Worse. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Another instance of guilt before innocence. I'll chalk this up to the same feeling with pharmacists who require me to sign a federal form when buying a package of Sudafed when I have a held cold.

Because, ya know, about 90% of Americans get a head cold, but only about 1% percent are meth addicts. So punish the 90%. Don't acknowledge that you also need gallons of brake fluid and battery acid for a single batch of meth. And a heck of a lot less than 90% of us are buying those ingredients.

#229748 - 08/12/11 02:59 PM Re: Prepper, Survivalist or Worse. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Wow. So some genius think that surplus stores are going to demand a valid ID and maintain a record of sale on file for every MRE, flashlight and waterproof match container they sell???

Terrorists must be THICK at every REI, Backwoods, etc.

I ran a quick search and found no reference for "night flashlight". It could easily be "night vision flashlight" but you would think even the most moronic of proof readers would have caught that goof up either way.

#229750 - 08/12/11 03:04 PM Re: Prepper, Survivalist or Worse. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Maybe this was some FBI Summer Intern's project?

#229758 - 08/12/11 04:19 PM Re: Prepper, Survivalist or Worse. [Re: ireckon]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I think I've figured out the match case entry by the FBI. If you purchase a match case* then there is a highly likely chance that you already have everything else in terms of kit stashed away i.e. 'Match case' equates 'Terrorist or Insurgent'. grin

*Note - This conclusion is reached after exhaustive BOB Youtube research... laugh

Quote:
It seems to me like their list should be fairly useless and filled with too many false positives to be of any value.

I don't think that purchasing any of the items in bulk from the listed kit is a trigger to initiate an FBI investigation but just to add data to generate a record on the FBI database to data mine in the future. Although saying that, the keyword 'Tripwire' is mentioned at the bottom of the document when calling the local FBI office (threat fusion centre??) to report suspicious purchasing activity.

But again criteria labels and tags on the FBI database can lead to some severe consequences as in the Ruby Ridge debacle.

Edit - it appears that the reporting of suspicious purchasing activity is sent to a Joint Reserve Intelligence Centre JRIC, which is a Dept of Defense (DoD) organisation with some centres being managed by U.S. Army's Training and Doctrine Command, Intelligence Support Activity (TRISA)

So not even a civil criminal organisation data gathering operation (FBI) but an internal military security and intelligence gathering organisation. NORTHCOM perhaps??

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/12/11 04:55 PM)

#229761 - 08/12/11 04:31 PM Re: Prepper, Survivalist or Worse. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Dear FBI,

Congratulations, you managed to stumble your way into creating a list that reaches a new level of uselessness. This list will provide you too many false positives to be of any value whatsoever for fighting terrorism. Many people hoard that stuff for hobby, and not merely for survival purposes.

Let me guess, it was an out-of-touch old geezer who made that watch list without browsing various Internet forums at a minimum. I'll feel much better if you admit this list is the result of a summer internship program that went awry.

Instead of following any useless leads from that list, I recommend you spend the money to come up with better ideas. Maybe start a task force to make mass media LESS about entertainment (e.g., no more treating every "man with gun" as if he's a raging maniac psychopath mass murderer). If that's not your responsibility, then try something else, anything else than a project that results in garbage like this list. Better yet, reduce your budget and give some money back to the taxpayers. I know a lot of people, include myself, who could put the money to use in a much more productive way.

Sincerely,
ireckon

#229762 - 08/12/11 04:31 PM Re: Prepper, Survivalist or Worse. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
I have long held the view that it is well to be cautious and to keep a low profile when purchasing certain perfectly legal supplies.

AFAIK it is perfectly legal to buy large qauntities of MREs tinned foods, batteries, water purification tablets etc.
I would however prefer to keep a low profile in such matters.
Apart from the risk that the government might think that I am a terrorist, Is it wise to be known as a "hoarder" in the event that TSHTF in the near term.

If there should be sudden release of toxic gas, do you really want to be known as the person with 10 gas masks ? Suppose that the release WAS by terrorists, people might conclude that you were involved and therefore took measures to protect yourself.

If some disaster resulted in large scale food shortages, do you really want to be on a database as having purchased loads of MREs ? no matter how lawful that purchase was.

There are many ways in which stocks may be purchased without attracting attention.
Pay cash, never charge or credit.
Visit different stores, where you are not known.
For mail order, have deliveries made to your work address.
Consider use of a prepaid payment card not linked to your bank account.
Ebay is pleasingly anonyomous, anyone can register under an assumed name and pay via paypal and a prepaid card, deliveries NOT to your home.
Dont attract attention in local stores, but always buy a little extra.To buy 36 tins of tuna might be commented on or remembered, no one will take the slightest notice of you buying 2 tins a week.
It would be a bit odd to buy 24 blankets and 48 sheets at once from a retail store and might be remembered. So dont ! go to a wholesale outlet, pay cash and ask for a receipt made out the "beach view hotel" or some such.

There are many activities that are perfectly legal, but still better not advertised.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by rafowell
05/26/24 09:10 PM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.