Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#22963 - 01/05/04 09:02 AM Making a smaller fresnel
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anyone know if one of those plastic credit card sized fresnel magnifying lenses can be cut to a smaller size and still start a fire? I mean by cutting away portions not including the center of the fresnel rings. I don't have one right now and if I did have one I'd rather know the answer from someone who's already tried it than distroying one.

Thanks
Wayneburg

#22964 - 01/05/04 09:41 AM Re: Making a smaller fresnel
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I've been told you need the center in order to use it to make a fire, however I haven't tried it with or without yet.

Edited by Paul810 (01/05/04 09:43 AM)

#22965 - 01/05/04 03:57 PM Re: Making a smaller fresnel
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland

#22966 - 01/05/04 03:57 PM Re: Making a smaller fresnel
Anonymous
Unregistered

This was discussed at length on the forum here - and the general consensus was that you had to use the center of the lens to start a fire.

#22967 - 01/05/04 08:10 PM Re: Making a smaller fresnel
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
There's no reason you need the centre of the lens to start a fire. I once had a Fresnel lens that broke with repeated handling - I took the small piece that broke off and was able to focus the sun's rays with it. (However, it was much too small to be able to start a fire.)

You can easily verify this (I haven't, btw, but I'm confident it would work) by covering most of the lens with a sheet of cardboard, or putting it in a manila envelope so only part of the lens protruded.

The main reason people think you can't start a fire with a "cut-down" fresnel lens is probably one of the following three:

1. They've never tried it.

2. They're using a fragment that is too small. You need fairly bright sunlight to start a fire with a credit-card size lens, especially one that's been knocking around in your wallet and isn't as sharp as when you bought it.

3. They fail to realise that the focal point doesn't move. If you take an 8.5 x 11 sheet and cut it into 4 pieces, each of the pieces should be able to start a fire in decent sunlight, but the focal point in each case will be exactly where it was before - i.e. it will be at the centre of the original sheet, which puts it at the corner of the cut-down sheet. For example, if you cut a credit-card size piece from the corner of an 8.5 x 11 fresnel sheet, the focal point (i.e. the point of light that the smoke comes out of) will be offset by about 6 inches from where you would normally expect it to be. But it will focus light, and it should be enough to start a fire if your fragment is big enough.

The only advantage I can see to this is that you could carry four credit-card sized pieces that could be fitted together to make a bigger lens. Each piece individually could start a fire in bright sunlight, even if you lost the other three. Otoh, if you have three of the four pieces, and you taped them together, you would probably be able to start a fire more quickly or in slightly worse conditions (e.g. winter, or later in the day, when the sun isn't as strong.)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 277 Guests and 120 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.