The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#229378 - 08/07/11 06:16 PM Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Price and uncomfortable conversations are definitely issues, Frisket, especially when it comes to other people's kids. We simply need to give a wide berth to some things. wink

You're probably also right that the floral design might cause distress for some of the boys. Using one as an example might get their imaginations going though, and help them find their own solution.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#229390 - 08/07/11 07:49 PM Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot [Re: bacpacjac]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
If your boys are too 'delicate' to deal with flowery containers, the Say It with Vases site (not much info) shows solid color vases, too.

And another site had leopard print. I guess you have to shop around.

Sue

#229393 - 08/07/11 08:32 PM Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Sue!

#229405 - 08/08/11 02:42 AM Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot [Re: bacpacjac]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

I have some condoms in my kits, but I've been scratching my head trying to figure out something for my DS and my Cub Scouts' survival kits. A condom opens a great big can of worms that I'm not ready for, especially as a Scout leader. Just imagine the reaction I'd get from parents!

What is they say? Necessity is the mother of invention? I settled on ziplock bags until I saw this thread. I WILL check these vases out. Thanks again for the tip!

I have an oven bag for collapsible water storage. These are quite robust, you can drop them without bursting; rest them on the ground as long as they are not overfilled; since they are basically a plastic bag, they can be used for other purposed too; and they are cheap.

I favour the large size and find that it will comfortable hold 1 to 2 litres of water.

Just to clarify, these are the clear plastic bags which you can buy to roast a chicken etc in, in the oven.

#229407 - 08/08/11 04:21 AM Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot [Re: Aussie]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Those large size oven bags are the hot ticket,they fold down quite small,actually small enough to fit into a Doug Ritter PSK! You can mark them with a sharpie-2 3/4" from the bottom up,That measurement comes out to 1-Liter for MP-1 tab use for purification & These bags can handle boiling water,as well! Survival Resources also has some very good bags to choose from,as well as tried/tested info regarding the large size turkey bags.It's where I obtained my info above.I have No affiliation with above mentioned products,other than being a Well satisfied customer!

#229414 - 08/08/11 08:00 AM Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot [Re: Frisket]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'm a big fan of these and these, both from Survival Resources (by John McCann). The former are very robust and pack down into an extremely small space. The latter are very, very durable and can be used for fairly long term use.

The only gripe I have is that there's a "handling" charge over and above the shipping cost. That's a crappy way to conduct business, IMO, especially if you only sell online. It's like McDonalds charging you to put your "to go" order into a bag. Still, they sell good quality product and the service is good, so I don't like it but I deal with it.

#229417 - 08/08/11 10:12 AM Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks guys. I'll check them out!

#229422 - 08/08/11 11:57 AM Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot [Re: Frisket]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Great idea.

Thank you for finding and pointing out another option.

Pete

#229445 - 08/08/11 05:51 PM Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot [Re: Frisket]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

My 2¢

We preppers don't find all what we want exactly as we want it in a survival situation. Even the hundreds of sharp edges ( knives, khukris ..etc. ) in the market , which are considered as item #1 foe survivalists/preppers, aren't enough to cover everyone's needs as they would like.

So, when someone finds an item that can serve some purpose, my own humble opinion is , after thanking him/her, is to think it over and over and perhaps extract evn more uses from such an item, that is foldable, small, cheap, and certainly useable.

I can think of a few uses for this collapsable vase.

* Moral booster for little daughters in a fightening situation
We always read about "sense of normalsy" in a survival situation. Its one of the purpose of fire, or candy, cards , coffe/tea ..etc. in a PSK. Having a colorful vase is not a bad idea in such a situation, especially a soft collapsable one.

* Can be used for things other than water. How about collecting berries or even storing candy for little ones ?

* Remember that a condom is used for several other uses than carrying water ??? It can be used to cap a rifle barrel to prevent debris from getting in without obstructing a quick shot at a deer or bird. This "vase" can be used to cover several things. I don't know the size, but if it was the right size, it maybe used as glove/mitten when you dip your hand in questonable waters, especially in floods and polluted waters.

A prepper should have an open mind and should use energy of the mind trying to expand what has been proposed ,,,

Again, its just my 2 ¢

#229494 - 08/09/11 06:56 AM Re: Interesting Find at Office Depot [Re: Frisket]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Not sure if these are the same type, but I have some very similar to these that were bought at a county fair a long time ago that look almost identical. You can mold the shape with hot water, kinda like kydex. You put hot water in, shape it however you want, then pour in cold water and it locks the shape in place. I dunno if that makes it any more useful, but you can't do that with a condom.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 538 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.