Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#229506 - 08/09/11 04:27 PM Re: Efficacy of Unsealed Chlorine Dioxide Tablets [Re: NuggetHoarder]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
NuggetHoarder,

A pool test kit will give you better information. The MIOX strips only test at one level. They are designed to be a go/no go answer only. The pool kit will tell you the level of chlorine.

Make sure you use distilled water for your test. In some places (here as an example) there is more chlorine in the tap water than required for a home pool.

You might also do a test sooner than 5 months. Try opening one, putting it in a capsule and testing it in a week. It may save you carrying it around for a longer time.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#229509 - 08/09/11 05:22 PM Re: Efficacy of Unsealed Chlorine Dioxide Tablets [Re: JerryFountain]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
The MIOX strips only test at one level. They are designed to be a go/no go answer only.

Ah, I've been wondering about this since the start of this thread. I just couldn't find any info about what the MIOX test strips are doing or how the results are interpreted.

MIOX depend on chlorine for disinfection while chlorine dioxide apparently does not. I was thinking that if the MIOX test strip is calibrated rather high, even fresh MP1 tablets may not generate enough free chlorine to register at all on the test strip, making it impossible to detect any difference between unopened and opened MP1 tablets.

#229511 - 08/09/11 06:00 PM Re: Efficacy of Unsealed Chlorine Dioxide Tablets [Re: NuggetHoarder]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
OK, so the MIOX strips are out. How about something like this...

http://www.indigo.com/test-strips/gph-test-strips/residual-chlorine-test-strips.html

#229580 - 08/10/11 02:02 AM Re: Efficacy of Unsealed Chlorine Dioxide Tablets [Re: NuggetHoarder]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
MIOX uses a mixture of several oxidants including (it is assumed) both straight chlorine and chlorine dioxide. Since it will kill Crypto, and straight chlorine does not, it must have more (chlorine dioxide will kill Crypto). The exact mixture is not divulged by the manufacturer, and I have not looked at it in the lab.

The MIOX test strips are set for a specific concentration of "something" as a go/no go guage. This is a standard method for insuring enough of a chemical agent like this. If there is some left, then it is not being destroyed by oxidizing living organisms. What level was set and the specific chemical they are testing is not known to me. I just spent some time with the results of their testing and decided this was an acceptable tool for me. It is not my only water purification method, but in some instances it works well.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#229583 - 08/10/11 02:24 AM Re: Efficacy of Unsealed Chlorine Dioxide Tablets [Re: Teslinhiker]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Originally Posted By: Arney
I have not been able to find any definitive instruction from Katadyn about NOT re-packaging the tablets, but chlorine dioxide is highly reactive and I don't think they would be individually packaged in these really sturdy foil pouches if the manufacturer didn't want to keep them isolated from oxygen, moisture, sunlight, etc.

I emailed Katadyn Products for an up to date official answer on this and I will post their response here.

I still have not had a reply from Katadyn so I emailed them again tonight.

John Lubbock

#229597 - 08/10/11 01:57 PM Re: Efficacy of Unsealed Chlorine Dioxide Tablets [Re: NuggetHoarder]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Or leave them sealed and vacuum pack them into a tiny packet - perhaps 1"x1" and carry that. Waterproof and effective!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 273 Guests and 58 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 06:24 PM
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.