Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#229008 - 08/03/11 01:09 AM Re: Good Basic Advice for Anyone Traveling [Re: Bingley]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Originally Posted By: JBMat
3. Do not travel to places where rape, torture, mutilation by machete, mob mentality and death for being there are deemed normal everyday events. (Note, this includes parts of DC, LA, Chicago and NJ)

[...] But I have come across people who were actually afraid to go to not just the especially bad areas of these locations, but these locations themselves. (As many of you know, DC, LA, Chicago, etc. can be quite safe and comfortable.)

You guys are giving me an inferiority complex. I live in NJ. Sure, I don't go prancing naked around Newark or Camden, but there's a lot of places in between that are nice and safe.

Edited by Mark_M (08/03/11 01:10 AM)

#229009 - 08/03/11 01:22 AM Re: Good Basic Advice for Anyone Traveling [Re: Mark_M]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Mark_M
You guys are giving me an inferiority complex. I live in NJ. Sure, I don't go prancing naked around Newark or Camden, but there's a lot of places in between that are nice and safe.

What, you mean to tell me The Sopranos doesn't depict the life of the average Jersey resident?

Bada Bing

#229013 - 08/03/11 02:12 AM Re: Good Basic Advice for Anyone Traveling [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Frisket Offline
Addict

That Acronym For Survival is just silly sounding I much prefer the Stop Acronym.

#229025 - 08/03/11 04:07 AM Re: Good Basic Advice for Anyone Traveling [Re: Bingley]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Street skills are learnable Not teachable,However there are Two crash courses,Joe Smalltown or Backwoods Bob could take that would Definitely put them in the "Know"!Starting with #1-Get yourself put in Jail for awhile(a week will suffice)You will be tutored by the highest authorities regarding survival on the streets,& When you gradiate(day of release)You will know a Happiness/Relief you've never felt before,& Most of all,you will have attained much knowledge of the streets,including the many variable speech patterns that are a Must have when confronting the other friends or family members of your cell mates.-note(this schooling is not available in Arizona,just ask Sheriff Joe Arpayo)Stick with the Big Cities!#2 Find yourself a Nice shopping cart & decorate it with plastic bags,then live out of it for a month or two,note-(Run over dog poop with your cart,it will keep the predators at bay) & Just observe life All around you,when you've had enough,you will come to the conclusion of knowing the streets,rather well for a Pilgrim!Best of All, These 2 crash courses wont cost you a dime,only time!:)

#229029 - 08/03/11 07:04 AM Re: Good Basic Advice for Anyone Traveling [Re: Richlacal]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Richlacal
Street skills are learnable Not teachable... Get yourself put in Jail for awhile(a week will suffice)You will be tutored by the highest authorities regarding survival on the streets...

You contradicted yourself. The older gangster in prison, the taxicab driver, the bum on the corner, they're all teachers of urban survival skills. Traditional learning facilities don't have a monopoly on being able to teach.

#229030 - 08/03/11 07:08 AM Re: Good Basic Advice for Anyone Traveling [Re: Richlacal]
LED Offline
Veteran

I've found this to be pretty universal whether in the woods or the city. In a dicey situation it helps to look calm even when you're panicking inside. Its even more important if others in your group are freaking out.

#229047 - 08/03/11 04:26 PM Re: Good Basic Advice for Anyone Traveling [Re: ireckon]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
ireckon,you say Contradiction? stop & think for a moment,the old gangster in prison, 1. the old gangster in prison means you are in prison,A Totally different ballgame all together,you won't be seeing the streets anytime soon,prison vs.jail,two very different animals!,2.-Taxicab driver,If you can even understand him through his accent,he won't have very much to offer you as,most street people can't afford to ride in his cab,he doesn't stick around the mean streets long enough to gain survival knowledge,if anything he only knows where,Not to be!,3.The bum on the corner,he is on the corner because he is bumming money for a fix or alcohol,otherwise he doesn't want the attention of Mr.Policeman,most bums do not like Jail! All the 3 you've mentioned will cost you some money,possibly your Manhood/Life,You won't get any useable info as you won't be trusted,you don't speak street!Spend $1.25 on Bus fare & ride the bus allday long,If the driver is interested in your devulged research,he may allow you to ride allday long,& he might even throw you some tips/advice,as well,The city buses/subway trains are Xlnt sources of info,If you go about it correctly!Git Ohhnnn,Dog!

#229062 - 08/03/11 07:31 PM Re: Good Basic Advice for Anyone Traveling [Re: Doug_Ritter]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Settle down, Rich. You got yourself caught inside an impossible vortex. You made the statement above that urban survival skills cannot be taught. I am simply saying that's an incorrect statement and explained why. You're entitled to disagree. You'd be incorrect though. By the way, it's OK to admit you misspoke.

#229066 - 08/03/11 08:07 PM Re: Good Basic Advice for Anyone Traveling [Re: Doug_Ritter]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Rich, a request. Type like a normal person and not a haxxor.

Your posts are hard to read with the random caps, lack of spacing and incorrect/random punctuation. I seldom read any of your posts for this reason.

Thanks

#229092 - 08/04/11 12:38 AM Re: Good Basic Advice for Anyone Traveling [Re: JBMat]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Well, let's bring our discussion a little closer to the original post. My nature vs. city question could perhaps be broadened to US vs. some other country. Is it possible to acquire the street smarts for surviving in, say, Mogadishu? If so, how?

Here's another question. Are bad guys all the same across culture, or are the bad guy clues culturally dependent? In other words, when it comes down to surviving a hostile human environment, will your instinct for detecting predators be enough, or are predators from different cultures so different that you'll need a specific predator-o-meter for each place?

Let's take a poll: who has been mugged in two different countries? Do all muggers give off the same vibe?

Da Bing

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.