Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#229 - 02/27/01 07:18 PM Multi Function Blade (SP8) by Ontario Knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have recently purchase the Ontario Knives SP8 survival knife/machete. I am very please with the quality and multiple uses of this fixed blade. I know its not something you would wear traditionally on your belt, but strapped to my back pack it is growing in usefulness more and more. It functions in between a hand axe and a short machete. The heavy blade is excellent for chopping and splitting, proven when making a shelter recently on an outing. During that same outing improvised snow shoes were built and the blade was effortless in cleanly splinting green branches to act as cross bars for weight distribution. The synthetic handle is also great for a non-slip and non-cold conducting surface. I intend to update as I put this blade through its trials. And input from other purchasers whether pro or con is greatly appreciated.<br><br>A quote for thought: "the best equipment in the world can be taken from you, the knowledge within the mind can not......" <br><br>

#230 - 02/27/01 08:23 PM Re: Multi Function Blade (SP8) by Ontario Knives
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The larger blades are finally matching the egos that created them! I've used machetes/large knifes in rainforests and in the snow to build igloos.My only wish is for an "anvil" to be incorporated on the spine for hammering .I shattered an Ontario AF survival knife doing just that while attending arctic survival school.<br><br>

#231 - 02/28/01 03:28 PM Re: Multi Function Blade (SP8) by Ontario Knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

When hammering with the knife you shattered did you use the contact method and a piece of wood to drive the knife through the wood. And just curious did the company stand behind its product?<br><br>

#232 - 02/28/01 06:42 PM Re: Multi Function Blade (SP8) by Ontario Knives
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I used a piece of wood .The temperatures were sub-zero which may have contributed to metal brittleness.See Doug's comments on sawback teeth weakening the blade.The only person that stood behind ANYTHING was my instructor.He cursed the knife ,me, the Coast Guard and procured another one . That worried me(no supply clerks in a crashed c-130) so I began my search for a better knife. <br><br>

#233 - 02/28/01 07:13 PM Re: Multi Function Blade (SP8) by Ontario Knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for your input. Hopefully the increased thickness of the blade will improve strength. And as of yet myself and a friend who cleared a small lot of sapling this winter, haven't had any problems. And hope we won't keep you updated.<br><br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 639 Guests and 133 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.