Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#229037 - 08/03/11 12:33 PM Re: Lanyards [Re: NuggetHoarder]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Quote:
I also have a lanyard that I cut and then stitched back together with thread and the breaking strength is around 50 lbs.

I could be wrong, but 50 lbs of concentrated force on your neck sounds like the potential for a significant injury to be likely.

Pete

#229067 - 08/03/11 08:11 PM Re: Lanyards [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
For the neck lanyard, I prefer a breakaway although several of the items I carry are on a pretty strong breakaway.

My main compass (at work) is a Brunton Pocket Transit (large and heavy). It rides in a pouch on my left hip. When I am in the woods for fun, it is usually an old Silva in my pack or around my neck as conditions dictate.

I use lots of neck lanyards, one (through the collar of my shirt (button down)) for my hand lense (magnifying glass) - which goes between the first and second buttons in my shirt, one for my binoculars (Leitz 8x20) - goes between the second and third buttons, the third for my camera (in the right pocket) and (depending on terrain and conditions) my compass or altimeter (left pocket). Different colors, materials and destinations keeps them apart and functional. I don't like things dangling on my chest. For those who must ask, the space between the third and forth buttons is for my field book, while I am doing something else - not for general carry. wink

Like Hikermor I seldom use a compass for navigation in the Rockies or Sierras (I do use my altimeter there, on a lanyard around my neck), but lots of terrain (Great Plains, arctic tundra, glacial ice, flat woodland, etc.) and weather (blizzard, white out, fog, etc.) requires the almost continuous use of the compass. Canoeing in places like the Boundry Waters requires one to use it frequently (although I often tie it to the canoe in this situation - with the lanyard). All these situations make the lanyard - around the neck or tied to something handy - a very useful tool.

The neck is a good place in my opinion, but it must work for you. Many of my tools are on lanyards attached to their pouch or pocket as well (usually tied inside). This keeps the item attached but keeps the lanyard out of the way when not in use.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#229071 - 08/03/11 09:16 PM Re: Lanyards [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Someone above suggested a leather cord for a neck lanyard. That seems like a good option. The rationale is that a relatively thin leather cord is not strong enough to strangle. Are there any downfalls?

Otherwise, can someone provide a link to a good breakaway neck lanyard? Or how do I make one?

#229072 - 08/03/11 09:28 PM Re: Lanyards [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

I just realized something. How does the strangulation issue come into play if I'm carrying around my neck my camera, my man bag or my rifle? None of these items have breakaway straps!

#229087 - 08/04/11 12:00 AM Re: Lanyards [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
All of our younger/Beaver Scouts are required to wear a neck lanyard with whistle when we're hiking or camping. New break-away lanyards are a little out of our budget so we found a simple solution: We solved the problem by either using a length of rope, or a regular layard that has been cut, and tying a slip knot in the end. They are secure enough to hold the "not a toy!" whistle but will come loose if tugged.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#229091 - 08/04/11 12:25 AM Re: Lanyards [Re: ireckon]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: ireckon
I just realized something. How does the strangulation issue come into play if I'm carrying around my neck my camera, my man bag or my rifle? None of these items have breakaway straps!

I somewhat agree. I carry a 1+ lb camera + lens on a strap around my neck all the time and I would not think of putting a break away strap on it for fear of losing the camera if the breakaway failed at an inopportune time.

In general, out of an urban environment and in a wilderness setting I would think that it would take a nasty fall or slip, then something strong enough to hook the non-breakaway lanyard or strap onto, then at the same time, incapacitate your hands completely so that you could not reach the knife attached to your belt to cut yourself loose from the lanyard. Realistically I cannot envision all these occurring at one time nor did a quick Google search show any results where a person is out hiking and was strangled by a lanyard.

John Lubbock

#229093 - 08/04/11 01:26 AM Re: Lanyards [Re: ireckon]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: ireckon

You won't strangle if your arm is in the loop, but you could get hung up.

#229198 - 08/05/11 01:47 AM Re: Lanyards [Re: ireckon]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
I've done a whipping for a kids lanyard. tested the number of passes to get desired hold.

#229199 - 08/05/11 01:47 AM Re: Lanyards [Re: ireckon]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
of course they don't, thats the insanity of this paranoia

#229249 - 08/05/11 03:56 PM Re: Lanyards [Re: kevingg]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: kevingg
I've done a whipping for a kids lanyard. tested the number of passes to get desired hold...

I somewhat like that idea of the whipping. On another part of the rope, I would cut the rope and tie a bend (e.g., Butterfly Bend, Fisherman Bend or whatever). The bend would make the lanyard readily adjustable and allow easy changing of items.

A downfall is that if the whipping breaks out in the field (not too unlikely), then you'll have to tie a bend to join the rope. That defeats the purpose.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 538 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.