Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#226295 - 06/21/11 10:55 AM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: MostlyHarmless]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

The trouble with SPOT is that it is both a tracking device that is used on a regular basis (= eats batteries each time you go somewhere, and rechargeable makes sense) as well as an emergency device (= lithium primaries makes sense).

It is hard to fullfil both roles at the same time... <snip>

I think in the case of a potentially life saving device, you simply have to ignore some predispositions as to what is the best use for primaries and the best use for rechargables and just bite the bullet and put a couple of extra sets of lithiums in a small Otter Box and keep them with you. With a 10 year shelf life, you are not likely to go wrong.

#226297 - 06/21/11 11:07 AM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: celler]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: celler
... put a couple of extra sets of lithiums in a small Otter Box and keep them with you

My point exactly... smile

#226298 - 06/21/11 11:16 AM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Most of us carry multiple knives, fire-making tools, batteries for lights, etc. I don't understand the big deal about carrying extra set of lithiums, especially for a potentially life-saving device. Maybe I'm naive, but wouldn't using it as intended be the best practice?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#226300 - 06/21/11 11:46 AM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

The trouble with SPOT is that it is both a tracking device that is used on a regular basis (= eats batteries each time you go somewhere, and rechargeable makes sense) as well as an emergency device (= lithium primaries makes sense).

It is hard to fullfil both roles at the same time.

Just for clarification, SPOT's tracking function is an optional service for which you must pay extra AND you must switch on that function if you choose to use it. Off the shelf and with the baseline service plan, there is no tracking functionality.

I think it may be possible, however, for an uninformed user to not buy the tracking service but try to turn on the tracking function. This may cause the unit to burn battery power transmitting tracking info despite the fact that the system isn't processing that info.

#226301 - 06/21/11 11:52 AM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

http://www.kirotv.com/video/27941366/index.html

Deciding a solo trip into a snowstorm was a good idea.

Poor navigation. (blaming his map)

Lost his tent inner.

Decided building a fire each evening was to much effort to dry out his insulation gear and provide warmth, comfort and the ability to signal to a airborne FLIR up to 20+ miles away.

No spare emergency fresh Lithium Cells from a sealed packet. (NiMhs etc don't work to well in the cold)

Still alive for the debrief, so SPOT must have been doing something useful. smile

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (06/21/11 12:02 PM)

#226302 - 06/21/11 12:48 PM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Most of us carry multiple knives, fire-making tools, batteries for lights, etc. I don't understand the big deal about carrying extra set of lithiums, especially for a potentially lifr-saving device. Maybe I'm naive, but wouldn't using it as intended be the best practice?

It makes sense to achieve compatibility among all your battery powered gadgets, which these days would include at least flashlights and probably a GPS. I feed AAAs to my lights and GPS, so a SPOT would fit right in. Lithiums are a no brainer for significant, extended use - they are dependable, lighter, worker better in the cold, and do not leak. With their terrific energy density, they are actually cheaper in use than all but the cheapest alkalines.

#226303 - 06/21/11 01:00 PM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: hikermor]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Lithiums are a no brainer for significant, extended use - they are dependable, lighter, worker better in the cold, and do not leak. With their terrific energy density, they are actually cheaper in use than all but the cheapest alkalines.

Yep, plus their shelf life is excellent. If you keep an eye out there are coupon deals on Energizer lithiums every so often.

I use only lithiums in the field. Sure wish the SPOT-2 used AAs instead of AAAs since my GPS and headlamp use AAs. Oh well, an extra set of lithium AAAs is not a burden.

#226304 - 06/21/11 01:09 PM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: MostlyHarmless]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Why do I hate to use primaries? Because if you use them "a little" for two or three times in a row you loose track of how much juice there is left. Is it 70%, 50% or 25%? Unless you throw away a lot of half depleted batteries (a waste!) you never know how much time you have left before you have to change batteries.

I always carry spare batteries.

When I'm using primaries in essential gear, I use a pulse-load battery tester (I like this one http://www.batteryjunction.com/zts-mbt.html) before heading out.

#226308 - 06/21/11 01:53 PM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

For those with experience using the SPOT: I am in the market and would like to hear your reviews of devices. I have little to no experience with them, but I do have a need in the short and long term. I have looked at reviews on line, but I think reviews from people here would be more credible.

#226322 - 06/21/11 05:01 PM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: chaosmagnet]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
<snip>When I'm using primaries in essential gear, I use a pulse-load battery tester (I like this one http://www.batteryjunction.com/zts-mbt.html) before heading out.

I have three different versions of this battery tester. Highly accurate and much recommended.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 553 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.