Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#228019 - 07/18/11 05:43 PM Re: How Much Gas Do I Have Left? [Re: jzmtl]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Jim, I envy you with your cheap coleman fuel price, I think that's cheaper than what I pay for kerosene!

Careful using gasoline in stove though, if it has ethanol in it that stuff eats plastic like no tomorrow, almost killed my Brunton vapor with it.
Kerosene is generally more expensive here in urban Los Angeles than Coleman fuel. In a rural area, I suspect the reverse to be true. Alcohol for a stove is also more expensive than Coleman fuel here.

I don't normally use automotive gasoline in any of my stoves, although I might in an emergency. Good point about ethanol though. The seals and such in a stove could definitely be eaten alive by the gasoline-ethanol combo commonly sold here in the US. Coleman fuel, in the amounts I burn it, is very affordable. Yes, it's at least double the price of automotive gasoline per gallon, but one gallon of Coleman fuel will generally last me a year. I'm not going to go risking a $75 to $150 stove to try to save less than $9/annum.

HJ

#228020 - 07/18/11 05:49 PM Re: How Much Gas Do I Have Left? [Re: Paul810]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Paul810
Naptha is actually one of the low-octane components of gasoline. That's why you generally don't want to use naphtha/lighter fluid/coleman stove fuel (which are all naptha based) in your vehicle, as it will lower the octane and potentially cause detonation. IIRC, fuel for camp stoves is around 50 RON (the octane scale), whereas gasoline for automobiles is typical in the 80's+.

With that said, there are other differences between the products, that can effect interchangeability. I'm not a chemist, so I can't tell you which are safe to use. The question that I answered was simply, where would one find a source of naphtha?

IIRC, Blast works as a chemist in the petro-chemical industry. He would probably be able to confirm whether or not one could safely use painter's naphtha in a liquid fuel camp stove.
Paul,

I haven't used Naptha myself, but in the UK, people I have talked to commonly use "panel wipe" (naptha) as a stove fuel. It's reputed to have a little less power than Coleman fuel but is supposed to work well.

I've also talked to people who have used "environmental" gasoline (gasoline without anti-knock additives). The brand name I've heard is Aspen 4T. I'm not aware of Aspen being available in the US. Supposedly "environmental" works even better than panel wipe. "Environmental" gasoline is targeted toward being used in things like lawnmowers and such.

From Optimusstoves.com:
Quote:
Gasoline/petrol stoves

If your stove is a gasoline stove, use white gasoline, Coleman Fuel, heptanes and similar as a first choice. In some countries ‘unleaded environmental gasoline is available and can be used as a second choice. Unleaded environmental gasoline is not the same as unleaded car gasoline. Environmental unleaded gasoline is a fuel designed for garden machines (i.e. lawn mowers) with four-stroke engines. It does not contain benzene and many of the other health hazardous additives that are put into car gasoline. Unleaded car gasoline contains a lot of additives that are needed for smooth engine operation etc, but these additives are extremely health hazardous and they are not burnt off properly when used in a stove. Instead, they escape as hazardous fuel vapour and exhaust fumes. Therefore, never use car gasoline of any kind for your stove!

HJ

#228021 - 07/18/11 06:00 PM Re: How Much Gas Do I Have Left? [Re: JerryFountain]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
I float the canister in a large measuring cup and use the amount of water displaced (final volume - initial volume) to determine the weight. That tells me (from the intial weight on the bottom of the canister) how much I have used. If you do not have a measuring cup that large you can use your technique, put the canister in a pot, fill with a measured amount of water to the top, subtract that from the capacity of the pot & have your weight. Another way would be to put the canister in the pot and fill it with water, take the canister out then measure the amount of water required to fill the pot again. There are, I'm sure, other methods of using displacement to weigh anything that floats, just remember that the weight of water displaced is equal to the weight of the object.
Ah, I get it. Nice. With your technique, you can make much better estimate of how much fuel you have left.

When you get home, do you weigh the canister again? Are your water based estimates pretty close to your scale-based weights? I imagine they'd be pretty close.

The one advantage of my technique is that you can get a rough estimate at a glance, much like the fuel gauge on a car, without having to do any calculations, but your technique is quite a bit more precise.

HJ

#228024 - 07/18/11 06:37 PM Re: How Much Gas Do I Have Left? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Kerosene is generally more expensive here in urban Los Angeles than Coleman fuel. In a rural area, I suspect the reverse to be true. Alcohol for a stove is also more expensive than Coleman fuel here.

HJ

Sounds like I need to move to where you live.

Methanol runs about $12/gallon, coleman fuel $19/gallon, kerosene $14. I wonder if it's because I live in an urban area, they figure they can charge whatever they want and the clueless/choiceless urbanites will pay for it.

#228030 - 07/18/11 08:00 PM Re: How Much Gas Do I Have Left? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Yipes! Are those US or Imperial gallons? If those are US gallons, you're paying at least twice as much as I do for Coleman fuel.

Shoot, about an hour away from you, there's a Walmart Super Center in Plattsburgh, NY. You ought to call them and see what they sell Coleman fuel for. Then all you need is an excuse to head south to make the drive worthwhile. wink

HJ

#228032 - 07/18/11 08:12 PM Re: How Much Gas Do I Have Left? [Re: jzmtl]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: jzmtl

HJ

Sounds like I need to move to where you live.

Methanol runs about $12/gallon, coleman fuel $19/gallon, kerosene $14. I wonder if it's because I live in an urban area, they figure they can charge whatever they want and the clueless/choiceless urbanites will pay for it.

Those prices are about the going rate here also. In a few weeks though, stores start putting kerosene and Coleman fuel on sale to get rid of summer stock and usually there is substantial price drop, especially for the Coleman fuel.

John Lubbock

#228034 - 07/18/11 08:44 PM Re: How Much Gas Do I Have Left? [Re: Teslinhiker]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

Those prices are about the going rate here also. In a few weeks though, stores start putting kerosene and Coleman fuel on sale to get rid of summer stock and usually there is substantial price drop, especially for the Coleman fuel.

I'll have to keep an eye out, but I don't ever recall seeing them on sale.

Yipes! Are those US or Imperial gallons? If those are US gallons, you're paying at least twice as much as I do for Coleman fuel.

Shoot, about an hour away from you, there's a Walmart Super Center in Plattsburgh, NY. You ought to call them and see what they sell Coleman fuel for. Then all you need is an excuse to head south to make the drive worthwhile. wink

HJ

Those are US gallons, heh, maybe I'll have to stop by plattsburgh someday, though I don't know what the customs guys will say when I head back with trunk full of liquid fuel lol.

#228035 - 07/18/11 09:05 PM Re: How Much Gas Do I Have Left? [Re: jzmtl]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Just don't stick a lot of wiring and timers back there too. wink

Of course if you had a bunch of camping gear in your trunk and that nice shiny can of brand new Coleman fuel just happened to have been decanted into old beat up fuel bottles stored next to your battered, well-used camp stove, why no one would be the wiser, now would they?

HJ

#229279 - 08/05/11 08:42 PM Re: How Much Gas Do I Have Left? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Thanks for the brilliant tip about floating canisters to gauge the amount of gas left with precision. So far, I've only done the hand shaking test (subjectively judging the weight of a partly filled canister versus a full one, and getting a feel of how much liquid gas there is sloshing around in there). Looking forward to trying out your method.

I have the same objections to gas canisters as I have to primary batteries: They seem to be either full (in which case I am reluctant to break the seal and use them), or almost all empty (leaving me in the dark/cold after 5 minutes or so).

If I carry a full canister I can resort to only carry one. If I insist on using up my half-filled canister I have to bring two, because I can't really trust the half empty to work. As a result, there is a collection of half-filled canisters in my shed...

#229470 - 08/08/11 11:21 PM Re: How Much Gas Do I Have Left? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
If I carry a full canister I can resort to only carry one. If I insist on using up my half-filled canister I have to bring two, because I can't really trust the half empty to work. As a result, there is a collection of half-filled canisters in my shed...
This is a common problem (half filled canisters laying about).

Several uses for half filled canisters:
1. Take 'em day hiking where you don't need a full canister and make tea or soup for lunch.
2. Use 'em with a micro lantern. Lanterns typically burn gas at a much lower rate than a stove, so that half full canister may last a good long time.
3. Take 'em car camping where weight isn't so critical. You can throw a hole bunch of half full canisters into your kitchen duffel (or box or whatever) and burn 'em until all used up.
4. Invest in a refiller (at your own risk, not a standard or approved practice) so you can top off your canisters.

HJ

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (marantz, Ren), 291 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.