* Tums
* Benadryl
* Aspirin
* Oral Rehydration Salts

#227704 - 07/12/11 02:40 PM Re: Essential OTC meds [Re: MDinana]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Yeah, sure, you may decrease some of the damage of a heart attack...

You say that like it's a small thing. Saving heart tissue with $0.02 worth of an OTC drug that also is great for everyday aches and pains, and is essentially weightless? Sounds like a good deal to me.

#227705 - 07/12/11 02:52 PM Re: Essential OTC meds [Re: NightHiker]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Instead of carrying acetaminophen and aspirin seperately I carry Excedrin Migraine - acetaminophen, aspirin and caffeine all in one convenient tablet.

That combo of ingredients in Excedrin is apparently great for headaches and migraines (and probably other sites of pain). Unfortunately, I get a painful stomach ache whenever I take any aspirin, so I learned long ago that Excedrin is not for me. Pity. So I carry both acetominophen and ibuprophen tablets in one of those little lip balm-sized travel cases with me most of the time.

And in situations where aspirin use would be discouraged, like with a sick child with a fever, a combination medication like Excedrin lacks the flexibility of separate medications. But, as with most things in life, there's always a trade off somewhere in any choice.

#227706 - 07/12/11 02:58 PM Re: Essential OTC meds [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Yeah, sure, you may decrease some of the damage of a heart attack...

You say that like it's a small thing. Saving heart tissue with $0.02 worth of an OTC drug that also is great for everyday aches and pains, and is essentially weightless? Sounds like a good deal to me.

I agree, but if you check out lots of these med threads, there seems to be the perception (perhaps just by me?) that everyone thinks a little aspirin is the same as a cath lab. It's not. (disclaimer: I'm kind of in a pissy mood these last few days, so there's a good chance I'm just projecting it)

Enough of my soap box, I'll actually contribute something useful.

Someone mentioned rice water and charcoal for diarrhea. I can't comment on the charcoal, but we use something called Cera-lyte in our aid station for diarrhea. It's rice based, tastes horrible, but helps "plug up" and rehydrate.

Additionally, the US Army has put out a memo that a 20oz Gatorade G2 w/ 1/2 gram of salt mixed in is a good field-expedient version of the latest WHO oral rehydration solution. I'm not 100% positive, but I think the typical "fast food" salt packets are either 0.5 or 1 gram of salt. Might be worth snatching a handful if you're doing some long-term outdoor activities. It would be REALLY nice if G2 came as a powdered solution.

Edited by MDinana (07/12/11 02:59 PM)

#227708 - 07/12/11 03:14 PM Re: Essential OTC meds [Re: djlmwh]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: djlmwh
NUUN Active Hydration Tablets (or powdered sports drink mix) are a great way to help with hydration, but I suppose maybe they don't count as "medication" exactly.

I also would consider some sort of electrolyte/rehydration powder one of those in-between things. Although not a drug, rehydration is one of the most effective things you can do for any number of situations that may afflict someone out on the trail. Even simple things, from a headache due to a bit of dehydration, to a sunburn, to low blood sugar, to a bout of diarrhea, etc. could benefit from effective rehydration (which is not necessarily synonymous with "electrolyte replacement," but few of us truly need that vs needing rehydration)

#227709 - 07/12/11 03:28 PM Re: Essential OTC meds [Re: Crowe]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Aspirin
Motrin
Alcohol wipes in case I even look at poison oak
Hand sanitizer (see above)

It's a day hike, I'm not summiting Everest or going on safari.

#227711 - 07/12/11 03:51 PM Re: Essential OTC meds [Re: Crowe]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
My EDC has immodium, pepto chews, tylenol, benadryl, generic cold pills for sinus issues and Pepcid. I call it my 'Urban FAK". Tested after hundreds of rich meals and trips to Vegas. Generally though, I'm handing these out rather than taking myself. I've never taken heartburn med but given out dozens to friends.

I don't actually carry any ointments due to size but I'll consider it after this post.

I don't carry ibuprofen basically because I can't take it realize after typing above that I'm doubling up on the acetaminophen w/ the Tylenol and cold pills. So I'll probably take out the Tylenol and add some Advil.

#227714 - 07/12/11 04:35 PM Re: Essential OTC meds [Re: Crowe]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
MDinana...I purchased G02 powder... 1oz, (30g) packet to be mixed with 16.9fl oz water from Sweetbays, a local Florida food chain

mixed a couple of my own home brew Oral Rehydration Salt packets and used the vacuum food sealer (no vacuum) to package

#227715 - 07/12/11 04:44 PM Re: Essential OTC meds [Re: LesSnyder]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Good to know! I'll keep an eye out next time I go shopping.

#227716 - 07/12/11 06:02 PM Re: Essential OTC meds [Re: Crowe]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
MDinana... Sorry, I misread your post.... the packet is G02 not G2 (regular not the low carb)

did a little testing of some of the formulations on the net..the concentrations are pretty close to the Gatorade formulas....you can come up with a DIY version using

sugarless Kool Aid
Mortons lite salt (potassium and sodium chloride)
sugar

most of the recipes are for a 2qt solution...what I use is less than the amounts of solutes in the posted recipes, and "real lemon" concentrate

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
3 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, chaosmagnet, Eugene), 486 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.