Topic Options
#227971 - 07/17/11 05:11 PM Re: Older XGK stove parts [Re: Hikin_Jim]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Jim,

Thanks for your thoughts as always.

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

I'd still be tempted to run kerosene using the jet for diesel, but that's me.

If it were me, and I were going into an area where I'd be in a real fix if my stove weren't working, I'd bring both pumps. The pump is definitely the Achilles heel of MSR liquid fueled stoves. A spare pump, particularly if you're traveling by vehicle or something where weight isn't quite as critical, is peace of mind, as is an expedition service kit. I don't always travel with two pumps and a full service kit, particularly for backpacking, but if all the weight isn't on your back, why not carry the "insurance?"

Can you imagine lugging something as big and as heavy as a 111 up the side of a mountain. It's that good. There were mountaineers who were willing to lug the beast up the face of a peak simply because the 111 was such a good stove.

HJ

I have only run kerosene once, on Spitzbergen, in my old XGK. I almost always use AvGas or Jet Fuel, taken from the aircraft that brought me into an area, if I don't have white gas. The biggest advantage is that I can put it back in their tanks when I leave and not have to worry about how to dispose of it in a hotel or airport when I return home (usually by air).

I have regularly carried an enhanced service kit and a spare pump when I was not backpacking. Of course when I was backpacking, I mostly carried my 123! smile Even in mountaineering, the pump is critical and I carried a spare.

Not only can I imagine packing a 111, I have done it several times. That is how I ended up with an XGK, I loved the 111 for cooking and melting snow, but not for carrying. frown In the 60's I borrowed several stoves for use in the mountains. I had a 111b on my purchase list when I saw an XGK. It was great for the mountains, super for fly in camps, and OK for canoeing (no simmer and I do LOVE my pancakes and banock when canoeing). The 123 was for day trips and backpacking where fuel was easy to get (at home). Sometimes I took both canoeing if the portage length was not too great and I expected to be able to get white gas.

Thanks again,

Jerry

Edited by JerryFountain (07/17/11 05:13 PM)

#228004 - 07/18/11 04:27 AM Re: Older XGK stove parts [Re: JerryFountain]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
Jim,

Thanks for your thoughts as always.

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

I'd still be tempted to run kerosene using the jet for diesel, but that's me.

If it were me, and I were going into an area where I'd be in a real fix if my stove weren't working, I'd bring both pumps. The pump is definitely the Achilles heel of MSR liquid fueled stoves. A spare pump, particularly if you're traveling by vehicle or something where weight isn't quite as critical, is peace of mind, as is an expedition service kit. I don't always travel with two pumps and a full service kit, particularly for backpacking, but if all the weight isn't on your back, why not carry the "insurance?"

Can you imagine lugging something as big and as heavy as a 111 up the side of a mountain. It's that good. There were mountaineers who were willing to lug the beast up the face of a peak simply because the 111 was such a good stove.

HJ

I have only run kerosene once, on Spitzbergen, in my old XGK. I almost always use AvGas or Jet Fuel, taken from the aircraft that brought me into an area, if I don't have white gas. The biggest advantage is that I can put it back in their tanks when I leave and not have to worry about how to dispose of it in a hotel or airport when I return home (usually by air).

I have regularly carried an enhanced service kit and a spare pump when I was not backpacking. Of course when I was backpacking, I mostly carried my 123! smile Even in mountaineering, the pump is critical and I carried a spare.

Not only can I imagine packing a 111, I have done it several times. That is how I ended up with an XGK, I loved the 111 for cooking and melting snow, but not for carrying. frown In the 60's I borrowed several stoves for use in the mountains. I had a 111b on my purchase list when I saw an XGK. It was great for the mountains, super for fly in camps, and OK for canoeing (no simmer and I do LOVE my pancakes and banock when canoeing). The 123 was for day trips and backpacking where fuel was easy to get (at home). Sometimes I took both canoeing if the portage length was not too great and I expected to be able to get white gas.

Thanks again,

Jerry
Jerry,

How did your XGK run on AvGas (which I believe contains lead)? I assume it ran reasonably well, but did you have to clean the jet a lot?

Sounds like the XGK was perfect for what you were doing -- flying in -- where you could pull straight from the tanks. I wouldn't want to try that on a 111 and certainly not on a 111B.

The XGK, particularly older models (pre shaker jet, but especially those with the surge damper) could actually be made to almost simmer. You had to really reduce the pressure in the tank and then fiddle with it a lot. I've been able to do it, although it's not like using a stove designed to simmer where it's a snap.

I still love my 123 for short trips. I've heard complaints about the 123 not simmering well. Not sure what those complaints are about although perhaps they're from 123R owners. I don't have a lot of experience with the R model, but I have heard complaints about it. I've even heard of guys taking the cleaning needle out of the R version and saying that it actually worked better without the needle.

XGK, 111, or 123, I hope you get out soon,

HJ

#228011 - 07/18/11 01:35 PM Re: Older XGK stove parts [Re: Hikin_Jim]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
[/quote]Jerry,

How did your XGK run on AvGas (which I believe contains lead)? I assume it ran reasonably well, but did you have to clean the jet a lot?

Sounds like the XGK was perfect for what you were doing -- flying in -- where you could pull straight from the tanks. I wouldn't want to try that on a 111 and certainly not on a 111B.

The XGK, particularly older models (pre shaker jet, but especially those with the surge damper) could actually be made to almost simmer. You had to really reduce the pressure in the tank and then fiddle with it a lot. I've been able to do it, although it's not like using a stove designed to simmer where it's a snap.
[/quote]

Jim,

The XGK ran very well on AvGas, but certainly needed cleaning more frequently. The old 80 Octane required a basic cleaning every couple of days (probably did not need it that often, but I did it regularly to avoid problems). The 100 Octane Low Lead that basically replaced the 80 was much cleaner, usually I got by a week without problems. The lead means that you HAVE to use it outside and avoid the fumes, but I don't like using any stove (especially a gasoline one) inside a tent anyway. It was (and still is) perfect for what I do. The 111 of any sort would not even be in the running! I did use my 123 a few times (before I got my XGK) but finding fuel where I arrived by commercial air was often a pain and disposing of the extra usually was a gift to the pilot or someone locally. It often required giving them the bottle too.

Simmering on my old XGK was possible, just not easy. I expect the new/old one will be similar. I don't know about the EX yet, I have tried it only a couple of times. I also got a scorch plate from the Outback Oven and it helps a lot. It will never be my favorite stove for cooking pancakes and eggs.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#228023 - 07/18/11 06:11 PM Re: Older XGK stove parts [Re: JerryFountain]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Thanks for sharing your experience with AvGas. Sounds about like what I would expect.

Originally Posted By: JerryFountain

Simmering on my old XGK was possible, just not easy. I expect the new/old one will be similar. I don't know about the EX yet, I have tried it only a couple of times. I also got a scorch plate from the Outback Oven and it helps a lot. It will never be my favorite stove for cooking pancakes and eggs.

Yeah, the XGK isn't exactly the gourmet cook's stove, is it? It's a great rough and ready stove for trips into rough areas, but to me it's hardly a basecamp stove for fixing "real" food. I think I'd grab a Dragonfly for something like that.

Nice thing about the XGK though is that it "takes a licking and keeps on ticking" as they say.

The XGK EX has a reputation for not being able to simmer as well as older versions of the XGK, particularly pre-shaker jet version of the older XGK's. Try it some time and let us know how it goes. That simmer plate that you have from your outback oven will definitely help.

HJ

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 614 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.