The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#226930 - 06/29/11 10:46 PM Re: Rank order possible scenarios [Re: Susan]
algo19 Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: Susan

Algo19: if you live in a large metro area, what will you be hunting and fishing for there? Pitbulls?

Sue, I will be supplementing my rations with protein. There are numerous neighborhood lakes within a 5 min. walk. these lakes have plenty of brim/crappie, catfish and bass. Also, there are plenty of birds, squirrels, chipmunks, and rabbits in my backyard and neighborhood. I live in the suburbs not a concrete jungle.

Edited by algo19 (06/29/11 10:55 PM)

#226937 - 06/30/11 01:16 AM Re: Rank order possible scenarios [Re: algo19]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Like many others, I've always got short-term crisis and longer-term crisis in mind when prepping.

On the ST front:

1. Weather-related issues top the list. Heat, wind, rain and snow are the nasty trio, as much for the power-grid failures as for the damage they cause.

2. We live beside a major national highway and rail line. Chemical spills are a regular occurrence along these routes and the days until it's our turn are numbered.

3. An in-house emergency (fire or flood) is also a possibility so a quick evac is also a priority.

On the LT front:

1. The economy is on the top priority list. We live on a tight budget and prices are constantly going up. "Eat today at yesterday's prices and conserve as much as you can" is our motto around here and informs our purchases, habits and usage as much as anything else. (BTW - a year or two ago I would have put this as number 2 or even 3.)

2. We live in the danger zone of one nuclear power plant and I work right beside another that's dangerously close to home as well.

3. We are close to a rapidly changing flood plain so that's creeping up the list as well.

That's my top six!

Additionally, I also have those immediate, (hopefully) shorter term issues like a personal injury, car accident, vehicle breakdown, etc. These are much more likely scenarios. Very often prevention means success, but Murphy is always watching somewhere, so better to be prepared!

Edited by bacpacjac (07/01/11 01:52 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#226944 - 06/30/11 02:56 AM Re: Rank order possible scenarios [Re: algo19]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
I am not sure you should prepare for a specific events. Where I live -- in the desert Southwest -- the weather here is mild in the winter and other weather hazards are essentially non-existent. Earthquake risk is low and flooding where I live is highly unlikely.

Surviving in the extreme heat of summer without tap water for a few days was the most threatening disaster I felt I might face (after the rarely discussed house fire). Then a record cold snap came in February and changed my perspective. Every power generating plant in the city was knocked out from the extreme cold. All of the electricity for a city of 600,000 was being provided by the local utility's fractional ownership of a nuclear power plant hundreds of miles away. The utility had to start rationing electricity with rolling blackouts.

This caused pipes to freeze and break in many houses that had been without power for only a few hours. The electric utility also inadvertently cut power to some water utility facilities and the city's water supply was compromised. If your house still had water, we were under a boil-order for 3+ days.

I assure you that nobody in this city had prepared for losing their electricity and water due to extreme cold.

Another local example is that earlier this month, the utility's supply lines from the same nuclear power plant were threatened by forest fires -- something that hadn't occurred to the utility's emergency planners since there are not any forests around here.

So to me, preparing for certain types of events is helpful to the extent it helps with general preparedness, but many natural events become disasters because something nobody has ever considered possible happens.

#226955 - 06/30/11 07:47 AM Re: Rank order possible scenarios [Re: algo19]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: algo19

Algo19: if you live in a large metro area, what will you be hunting and fishing for there? Pitbulls?

Sue, I will be supplementing my rations with protein. There are numerous neighborhood lakes within a 5 min. walk. these lakes have plenty of brim/crappie, catfish and bass. Also, there are plenty of birds, squirrels, chipmunks, and rabbits in my backyard and neighborhood. I live in the suburbs not a concrete jungle.

I doubt "plenty" will last more than a week or 2 when every hungry citizen with a gun decides it's open season in your town.

#226956 - 06/30/11 08:39 AM Re: Rank order possible scenarios [Re: MDinana]
algo19 Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Originally Posted By: algo19

I doubt "plenty" will last more than a week or 2 when every hungry citizen with a gun decides it's open season in your town.

well, by that time, i will either have made it to my BOL or be dead, if all else fails, pitbulls may be on the menu grin

#227014 - 07/01/11 07:24 AM Re: Rank order possible scenarios [Re: NightHiker]
LED Offline
Veteran

I would think the easiest way to store protein is to buy cans of high quality whey protein isolate or egg protein. 25 grams of protein per serving is close to half the daily requirement for adults. And while you're at it pick up some fish oil supplements, superfood/wheatgrass powder, chia seeds, flax seeds, multivitamins, etc. We're lucky high quality supplements are cheap enough to stock up on. That might not always be the case.

#227051 - 07/01/11 06:44 PM Re: Rank order possible scenarios [Re: algo19]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
The worst -

No power. Think on it. Virtually everything runs on power, be it the grocery store (fridges, cash registers), the gas station (the pumps), your house... the list is endless. No power means no commerce, no transportation of goods on a major scale, no water, no heat, no lights, no a/c... need I go on?

Everything after this is gravy.

#227111 - 07/02/11 06:30 PM Re: Rank order possible scenarios [Re: algo19]
Basecamp Offline

Loc: PNW
Edited...misread question...

Edited by Basecamp (07/02/11 09:48 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 549 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.