Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#226596 - 06/24/11 05:26 PM Re: Plane crash caused by drunken passengers [Re: Teslinhiker]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA

Quote:
There is no 100% proof of what actually occurred

There usually isn't unless there's a running video camera. But I would say the investigators provided a pretty sound estimate.

From the report:
"The pilot's broken right wrist and the bent V brace suggest that the pilot was bracing or trying to resist a force imposed from behind. The broken ankles of the passenger behind the pilot are consistent with that person bracing with both feet, or pushing forward with both feet, at the time of impact. It is possible the passenger seated behind the pilot kicked the pilot's seatback forward and held it there, pushing the pilot into the instrument panel and the controls forward thereby inducing a dive."

Drunks are drunks. They're stupid beyond all comprehension. They killed almost 11,000 people in cars last year, and I doubt that they suspend their idiocies while in the air.

Art's suggestion that drunks "be hog tied, or stuffed in a sack, and carried as cargo. Perhaps lashed to one of the floats" certainly works for me. And in cars, buses, and trains, too.

Sue

#226604 - 06/24/11 07:07 PM Re: Plane crash caused by drunken passengers [Re: ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Drunks don't just kill in planes or in cars. Most of the fatalities I have dealt with over the years (SAR) have involved alcohol and falls from height, or drowning. I am lucky; I was a founding member of a group known as the Roma Ramblers (so named from the Roma Zinfandel we consumed when we had attained the summit) and I did my share of stupid things. Now I am basically a teetotaler.

#226607 - 06/24/11 08:23 PM Re: Plane crash caused by drunken passengers [Re: dougwalkabout]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
"I'm sorry guys, you are too drunk to fly"

The airlines refuse to board drunk passengers. This pilot should have refused to fly. Hindsight is 20/20, but even on a 6 min flight, stuff can happen.

#226608 - 06/24/11 08:51 PM Re: Plane crash caused by drunken passengers [Re: Susan]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Susan

Quote:
There is no 100% proof of what actually occurred

There usually isn't unless there's a running video camera. But I would say the investigators provided a pretty sound estimate.

No, I agree. The investigation team did a thorough job . The point I meant to make is that no one will never know exactly what caused the crash in the absence of any technology that small aircraft do not carry and that could of aided the investigation.

John Lubbock

#226610 - 06/24/11 09:04 PM Re: Plane crash caused by drunken passengers [Re: Teslinhiker]
mpb
Unregistered

From Yahoo News, June 24th, pm

*article snipped*

Posting complete articles is in violation of USA copyright laws. To avoid getting the Equipped to Survive Foundation sued please just post a link to the article along with a 1-2 sentence synopsis.

Thank you kindly.
-Blast

Edited by Blast (06/24/11 09:55 PM)

#226624 - 06/25/11 03:12 AM Re: Plane crash caused by drunken passengers [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
It's fair to say that the conclusions from the TSB are based on circumstantial evidence. But AFAIK the TSB tends to be thorough and methodical, and doesn't serve any political agenda. So it's probably pretty good circumstantial evidence -- which I grant isn't the same as positive proof.

Here are a few more articles worth reading (some from a while ago) for anyone who is interested:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nati...article2073129/
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nati...article1587446/
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/06/24/bc-tofino-plane-crash-drunk.html

I know that float planes are essentially sky taxis around the West Coast islands. (And as I recall, it's pretty impressive when those big props wind up.) Probably not a big margin in the business, and it's probably not that easy to turn down a fare. These guys are good fliers, but aren't making the big money; and there's no airport security establishment to screen passengers. It's the classic cabbie's dilemma, except at 500 ft. you can't hit the brakes and pull over. Very sad that this pilot lost his life over a 6.5 minute fare.

P.S., Apologies, Mods, I quoted too much in the OP.

#226628 - 06/25/11 04:51 AM Re: Plane crash caused by drunken passengers [Re: dougwalkabout]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
It's fair to say that the conclusions from the TSB are based on circumstantial evidence. But AFAIK the TSB tends to be thorough and methodical, and doesn't serve any political agenda. So it's probably pretty good circumstantial evidence -- which I grant isn't the same as positive proof.
[...]
Probably not a big margin in the business, and it's probably not that easy to turn down a fare. These guys are good fliers, but aren't making the big money; and there's no airport security establishment to screen passengers. It's the classic cabbie's dilemma, except at 500 ft. you can't hit the brakes and pull over. Very sad that this pilot lost his life over a 6.5 minute fare.

I tend to agree that the TSB tries pretty hard to avoid any overt bias. But, alas we live in a post-factual world where every factual statement is going to cast shadows that will discomfort someone's existing bias and all sides will fight back to discredit any uncomfortable conclusions and draw their own. Which will, entirely coincidentally, align quite nicely with their preferred POV and interests.

I also think you make a good point showing that he likelihood is that he bush pilots may not have a whole lot of financial and business leeway to work with. While, as I understand it, a pilot has the legal right to refuse a passenger making that call might sink such a lot margin business. Pilots likely have to work hard to keep the clients happy and maintain a reputation for being cooperative. Which means that financial viability, the ability to keep flying, is balanced against safety.

Perhaps what is needed is a law which allows a bush pilot to proactively restrain a client without risking assault, kidnapping, or other charges.

#226629 - 06/25/11 07:57 AM Re: Plane crash caused by drunken passengers [Re: Art_in_FL]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
Perhaps what is needed is a law which allows a bush pilot to proactively restrain a client without risking assault, kidnapping, or other charges.

Some military planes have (or used to have) 'bomb bays', where the bombs lay in the belly of the bomber. To drop the bomb, the door the bomb rested on was opened and the bomb dropped out.

Maybe 'drunk bays' would be appropriate. Hasta la vista, baby!

Sue

#226644 - 06/25/11 09:22 PM Re: Plane crash caused by drunken passengers [Re: dougwalkabout]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I just finished rereading "Bush Flying, The Romance of the North" by Robert S. Grant. If half of what's in that book is accurate, then inebrieted passemgers are a common problem. The solution is to take them to high elevation and let them pass out.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 408 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.