The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#226463 - 06/22/11 10:52 PM Re: Helping our homes to help us [Re: Chisel]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
At least in CA, check with your local buiding department before doing handrail, ramp, and other home projects as their are some legalities that can come up at time of refinance or sale.

Those comfy deep cushioned recliners, chairs, couches, etcetera are often very difficult and painful to get out of later in life or when injured. Think twice when making new acquisitions and consider putting assist rails or appliances within reach of such furniture.

Many homes seem to collect too much furniture, which then become a maze of obstacles for anyone of less than normal physical ability, or who also need to maneuver a walker, chair, crutches, a cane, etcetera. Rent or borrow such appliances and try to get around your house for a few hours! It may be time to donate a few things to open up the lanes of travel.

Power cords, area rugs, step down or step up areas, large sills between rooms or between interior and exterior, stairs, etcetera easily become trip-and-fall hazards for persons whose senses or abilities become compromised. Level what you can and consider ramps with handrails, even inside the home.

Go into your kitchen and bathroom to try to do what you normally do with one hand. Based on that experience, consider what would be helpful to reposition or install.

Edited by dweste (06/22/11 10:53 PM)

#226468 - 06/22/11 11:40 PM Re: Helping our homes to help us [Re: bws48]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: bws48
The other side of the physical assistance the various devices and modifications for the person needing them is the psychological benefit of still being able to perform the activity by themselves, even if needing a device: e.g. putting on socks by themselves with an assist tool is still putting on their own socks. The alternative is of having someone else put the socks on them. This can be psychologically painful because now you, an adult, are being reduced to the state of a helpless infant.

Keeping people able to say "I can do it by myself!" is tremendously important.

Absolutely right BWS! Nothing like having to get someone else to wipe your butt or cut your meat for you to bring on a wave of humility.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#226481 - 06/23/11 08:06 AM Re: Helping our homes to help us [Re: dweste]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
The other side of the physical assistance the various devices and modifications for the person needing them is the psychological benefit of still being able to perform the activity by themselves, even if needing a device: e.g. putting on socks by themselves with an assist tool is still putting on their own socks. The alternative is of having someone else put the socks on them. This can be psychologically painful because now you, an adult, are being reduced to the state of a helpless infant.

Exactly

Last year I suffered a bad backache, and one time I was trying to wear socks, managed to put one on, then pain was too much and I asked my younger son to put on the second. I can't explain the feeling then. My eyes were teary.

Now I really appreciate being able to put on my own socks unassisted.

Medical problems that hit us time to time are good eye openers for us in preparing our homes and surroundings in a better , more realistic ways.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.