Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#226089 - 06/17/11 03:58 AM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: bacpacjac]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I'm a little suspicious of automatic devices.

I've seen people try to swim with a life jacket on in ideal conditions. Even tried it a few times. Given a little wind and a little current that life jacket makes you pretty much unable to do more than go along with the flow. Even a short swim against these forces is exhausting.

There are also those rare cases when life jacket inflating on its own might be a catastrophe. I've not researched all the available literature but clearly remember several non-fiction accounts of people on yachts experiencing trouble when the boat turned turtle and they had to swim down and out to reach free air. In one case the sailor wasted valuable time and energy trying to swim out with an inflated life jacket on and was forced to resurface in the overturned hull and remove the jacket. In another case the jacket inflated after they cleared the hatchway and it got tangled. The sailor lived because he was able to remove it.

Yes, I know, this is right up there with people not wearing a seat belt so they don't get trapped in a burning car. A rare situation that sounds more plausible than it really is.

Except I'm not advocating not wearing a life jacket. Fact being that the vast majority of the time it is going to do you more good than harm. What I'm asking for is a life jacket that has a mechanism for disabling the automatic inflation, an oral inflation tube, and some way of deflating a jacket quickly.

#226096 - 06/17/11 10:54 AM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
When flying in a Gov't chartered helicopter, we were required to don a PFD that was to be triggered manually, once you were clear of the cabin. In addition to the trigger, there was an oral inflation tube. There was no "automatic" inflation device and the uninflated vest was definitely low profile.

#226101 - 06/17/11 01:30 PM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: dweste
I cannot afford more than one PFD. I suspect that many are in a similar "boat." Assuming at least for the purpose of argument this is true, which one PFD would Jerry recommend?

I'm in that boat too Dweste! I'm still undecided about them for my family but I can't afford an inflatable one right now anyway. (I picked up a new standard one for myself this morning. Nothing fancy. Fluid Deluxe PFD only mine's yellow. $59.99 CDN regular, on sale for $25.00, vs $179 for the cheapest inflatable they had. I attached a yellow Fox 40 Sharx whistle.)

DS uses this Mustang one. He may need to upgrade soon. He just hit 50 pounds but he's a thin little guy so the next size up is still a little too loose for him.

I am interested in inflatables though, and am going to try to convince my fishing group to get them.

Edited by bacpacjac (06/17/11 06:06 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#226104 - 06/17/11 01:39 PM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I'm sure automatic inflation systems have their place, but I'll always go with a manual system. I've been through Naval Aviation swim qualifications as part of my job requirement. First they wear you out demonstrating swimming skills including breast stroke, treading water and drown proofing in full flight gear (including survival vest), and then you get to use the oral inflation tube (when you're already out of breath) to inflate the vest (the first vest they give you has a depleted CO2 cartridge) -- just a little air in the vest gives you positive buoyancy. I'm familiar with manual inflation systems and feel comfortable with that system.

I've only ever worn a manual system. To the best of my knowledge, in Naval aviation the auto systems are only worn by pilots in ejection seat aircraft; they will be free of the aircraft and don't need to worry about being inside a tube when the system auto inflates. They may also be unconscious when they hit the water so an auto-inflation system is recommended. I don't sit on an ejection seat, I would be in a blue-water ditching situation so manual is the only way to go for me.

The vest I'm looking at right now is a Switlik Modular Aircrew Vest. The Switlik Helicopter Crew Vest was my choice until Swtlik came out with the modular version. I've worn the Helicopter Crew Vest and found that after a bit I forgot it was there.
(Note: DR's Essentials™ Overwate Aviator Survival Vest is based on the two Switlik vests mentioned.)

For a river application I'd go with a non-inflatable. There's just too much junk (trees, rocks et al) in a river that could deflate an air bladder.

My recommendation after you make your choice of vests/suspenders, auto/manual is to get in a swimming pool and use it. It's useless if you don't put it on right or for some reason can't get it inflated. Personally, I'd do like the Navy does in that swim qual and force yourself to inflate manually with the oral inflation tube. Doing that for the first time in rough water could be a life altering experience. If you're breathing hard it's not easy in calm water.

Personal opinion.

BTW, flotation vests or suspenders are not a substitute for learning how to swim.

$.02

#226107 - 06/17/11 02:06 PM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: dweste]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Originally Posted By: dweste
Jerry, if you could only choose 1 PFD for your children or loved ones, which would it be and why?

dweste,

I understand your question, and the answer will vary. For this discussion I will stick to canoeing on lakes and rivers with no, even minor, white water and not large lakes, especially with power boaters. For my new grandson, when he arrives, he will wear (all the time) a specialty child vest designed to keep small children upright in the water. For my nephew at 15 it would normally be a good Type II vest (he is now on the 3rd new size in 3 years) but soon as he stops growing so fast, it will be a Type V vest designed for canoeing. For my daughter (a superior swimmer) I bought a high quality self inflating suspender type like mine. Although the risk of malfunction is there, I try to by quality equipment so I don't worry too much about it. The Type V vest and the inflatables would have at least 22 lb bouyancy (like a type I) and be able to right an unconscious wearer right side up. All vests are tried in the pool to insure they work for the person I have purchased them for. I would not use the inflatables in below freezing temps (kayaking Alaska or Iceland). The biggest reason for the inflatable's is that they can be worn all the time, even in Florida heat and do not interfer with paddeling.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#226110 - 06/17/11 02:26 PM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: Russ]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
This is my PFD for swiftwater rescue operations:

Force 6 Rescue Instructor PFD

It offers a high amount of floatation, good impact protection, storage space and adjustments. However, it is not cheap, runs around $200-240, but in my case it essential for life safety.

Pete

#226114 - 06/17/11 02:42 PM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: paramedicpete]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
This is my PFD for swiftwater rescue operations:

Force 6 Rescue Instructor PFD

It offers a high amount of floatation, good impact protection, storage space and adjustments. However, it is not cheap, runs around $200-240, but in my case it essential for life safety.

Pete

That's a nice vest Pete! I'd be more inclined to go for one of those than an inflatable with my wallet gets a little thicker. It just screams "Safety!"

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#226120 - 06/17/11 03:40 PM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: paramedicpete]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
This is my PFD for swiftwater rescue operations: Force 6 Rescue Instructor PFD Pete

Nice! Do you know about the paddling comfort of any of their models?

#226122 - 06/17/11 03:48 PM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: paramedicpete]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Pete -- How is the Force 6 - Instructor for swimming. Can you move freely in it while also taking advantage of the flotation?

The Force 6 - Instructor would not work for my aviation requirement, but for rivers where I don't want an inflatable, this or the Rescuer might be the ticket.

Is the D ring on your vest for lifting or just tying on?

#226130 - 06/17/11 05:17 PM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: Russ]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Force 6 products are specialty products designed for swifwater rescue. Here is the web page for their PFDs:
Force 6 PFDs

While self-rescue (paddling if engine goes down) in an inflatable boat is a potential event that must be taken into consideration, it is not primary function and therefore the PFDs are not designed with paddling comfort in mind.

The PFD allows for both defensive and offensive swimming, but like most PFDs, it does limit you slightly.

The tether/leash or blow-out strap is for live bait rescues where the rescuer is attached to a line, enters the water and makes contact with the victim. The blow-out feature allows the rescue to disengage the line if the force of the water is over powering the floatation. Think of a person at the end of a completed played out line. As the water flows over the person, the water pressure will tend to force the person down under the water, the blow-out feature allows the rescuer to separate from the line, thus allowing them to freely float down stream to either self-rescue or to be rescued from boat or shore.

If you look at this video around 1:13 and 2:52, 4:53, you will see how a tethered swimmer is being forced down under water. The blow-out strap/tether allows him/her to free themselves from the line and travel downstream.

Swiftwater Rescue Techniques

For suspension, a separate harness worn under the PFD would be necessary.
For example: CMC SRT Harness

Pete

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 285 Guests and 61 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.