The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#225440 - 06/08/11 01:10 AM 8 Year Old's PSK
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
My almost 8 year old DS just swam up to Cub Scouts last week and is now a "Tenderpad". He's built a few before before but now wants to carry a PSK on outtings just like the older Cubs. We quickly thew together a little fanny pack kit for him for Cuboree last weekend, knowing we wouldn't ever be far from the Pack trailer or civilization. We put in a rain poncho, headlamp, lip balm, sun screen and bug spray, all of which were used. Next weekend we're really going camping, including a canoe trip, so he wants and needs something more substantial. Just before bedtime tonight he went through my bag of extras and threw this together in his fanny pack:

-Emerg rain poncho
-Mylar emerg bag
-Bandana (Bright teal colour)
-Headlamp
-Sunglasses
-Small snap light
-Lanyard with whistle
-Snacks (2 cookies, skittles, gum)
-Trail marker tape
-Button compass (from Doug's kit that he's learning to use)
-Metal water bottle (The fanny pack has a pouch for it)
-1 pair wool socks
FAK:
-Bandaids (4 small, 6 large)
-Gauze pads (about 10 in a ziplock bag)
-Small pack baby wipes
-Alcohol prep pads (3)

EDIT: I just found an Sweet Tarts altoids-like tin for his mini FAK in the ziplock bag. It'll help corral the pieces and it's pretty shiny so would probably make a good signal device.

With the bottle empty, it doesn't weigh much, which is good because neither does he. We're going to add a signal mirror, bug spray and sunscreen wipes in the morning. Maybe his bug net hood too.

He wanted to also include his SAK and matches, but he's not allowed to carry them yet in Cubs. His Cub Book says he should include them in his PSK so he's going to ask his Akela what the rules are. He's learning to use his knife and build fires with me and DH but hasn't mastered either yet. He can add them when he's with me and/or DH, if not at Cubs.

EDIT: Akela has confirmed that our Cubs are not allowee to carry knives or matches. We'll teach them to use them properly, under direct supervision, and they can get their permits when they go up to Scouts when they're (around) 11.

What would you add, delete or change change?

EDIT: Here's a copy of what it says in the Scouts Canada Cub Book:
http://wiki.scouts.ca/English/images/3/3f/TheCubBook086-88-EmergencyKit.PDF

Edited by bacpacjac (06/09/11 01:33 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#225442 - 06/08/11 01:30 AM Re: 8 Year Old's PSK [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Re-reading some old posts, I think we'll also add an emergency contact card, with phone numbers for me/DH/local aunts/uncles/grandparents, as well as some money for a pay phone.

#225443 - 06/08/11 01:35 AM Re: 8 Year Old's PSK [Re: bacpacjac]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I think The cubs may have a widdling chit, or w.e it is called its been to long for me to remember, like the scouts do. Its a card they have to earn by going threw training and such with knives and with eatch seen mistake they lose a corner till all four are gone then they take it away and you lose the knife carrying ability.

I would add something to Absorb water such as a sponge or other options being one of them air sealed washcloths that are a inch little thing taht "grow" or a slice of a shamwow style shammy or a microfiber eyeglass cleaning cloth.

Also mason line and a good amount of it maybe even get some larger diam line.

Since he is still young maybe a laminated contact and health information card as well.

#225445 - 06/08/11 01:48 AM Re: 8 Year Old's PSK [Re: bacpacjac]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Canoe folk need properly fitted PFD's and a hypothermia kit and treatment plan.

#225450 - 06/08/11 02:22 AM Re: 8 Year Old's PSK [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
small hand held LED light using same batteries as the headlamp, probably AAA...I EDC'd a Gerber Tempo for years, and currently Fenix E01 and spare battery

if phones in the area still take coins, a strip of 4 quarters on a piece of tape don't take up much room

small bottle of tincture of iodine, and instruct on how much to use to disinfect water with the metal bottle volume

if allowed instead of a knife, I'll still pitch the use of a pair of electrician scissors like the Wiss 175E

roll of friction or electrical tape

pencil/pen

P38 can opener

needle nose pliers with wire cutting capability

#225458 - 06/08/11 06:16 AM Re: 8 Year Old's PSK [Re: bacpacjac]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
...---... Morse code by whistle,or stick on a hollow log,small leather work gloves,Mink oil treatment for gloves,boots,etc.,Goggles,Harmonica?

#225462 - 06/08/11 09:10 AM Re: 8 Year Old's PSK [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would consider putting in a small platform compass instead of the button type - if there is room. Start him on map reading and use.

#225464 - 06/08/11 11:11 AM Re: 8 Year Old's PSK [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks gang. He slowly being introduced to knife, fire, map and compass, and water purification. As he learns to use each item safely we can add it in.
Good call on the platform compass Hikermor. He still doesn't understand "red fred in his shed" but we're working on it.

Great idea about the sponge, Frisket! I've been trying to think of another water procurement method for him, besides bandana over mouth of water bottlewhich he knows. A sponge is a great idea.

Great ideas as well Les Richlacal! Coins, cordage, shears, gloves, LED, laminated info card, tape, pliars, more code card... So many ideas in so little time.

I hear ya dweste. He's learned that cold and wet means sick and maybe dead, he knows that getting out of his wet clothes is vital if it's cool and/or windy, and he knows that dark means colder. PFD with attached whistle and LED are an absolute must for everyone in the boat. When we're on the water, he also has a seperate daypack with a sealed dry bag inside that includes a change of clothes, warm sweater, more snacks and a mini tent. Without fire, dry clothes and shelter are absolute musts. In fact, that knowledge is why he added the wool socks and mylar bag instead of just the blanket.

#225466 - 06/08/11 01:01 PM Re: 8 Year Old's PSK [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
For his bandanna, teal might be a fairly bright color in your area, but I would prefer a yellow hue. Also, I have seen bandannas that had useful information pertaining to survival printed on them. I don't know of a current source, but that might be a possibility....

#225467 - 06/08/11 01:09 PM Re: 8 Year Old's PSK [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
For his bandanna, teal might be a fairly bright color in your area, but I would prefer a yellow hue. Also, I have seen bandannas that had useful information pertaining to survival printed on them. I don't know of a current source, but that might be a possibility....

Great idea Hikermor! I didn't want to discourage him last night, especially right at bedtime. I've got a brighter yellow one for him that I'll give him tonight when we repack his FAK. I'm on the hunt for one with first aid instructions or survial info on it. I'll let everyone know if and when I find one!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 220 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.