Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#225508 - 06/08/11 07:03 PM Re: Delorme Introduces inReach – First 2-way Consumer [Re: chaosmagnet]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
The inReach will support AA batteries, either Lithium, Alkaline, or NiMH.

I've got 5 letters for that: s-w-e-e-t

#225518 - 06/08/11 10:00 PM Re: Delorme Introduces inReach – First 2-way Consumer [Re: Doug_Ritter]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I hesitate to buy any electrical gadget these days unless it can handle all three energy sources. I really like to feed my stuff rechargeables.

#225520 - 06/08/11 11:22 PM Re: Delorme Introduces inReach – First 2-way Consumer [Re: Doug_Ritter]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Sorry chaosmagnet about the slow reply but you are right about the cost, if the Delorme can do it better for cheaper that would be nice but the delorme has to work with a GPS with it doesn't it and the others has a GPS built in, I need to do more research but if it will work with a garmin. I would like it to be built in one unit and not have to rely on 2 units. I'm still waiting to see how the new Garmin Montana will be.

#225550 - 06/09/11 01:08 PM Re: Delorme Introduces inReach – First 2-way Consumer [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Im certainly not a modern-day Luddite; I have a GPS nav unit in my car, but I also have maps (including two Delorme topos) and a dash-mount magnetic compass which I know how to use. I worry about the proliferation of electronic navigational aids and beacons. Dead batteries aside, in a marshall law situation, elements within the gov't will flip a switch and disable the satellites and transmitters that support these devices (and probably cell phones too). If the basic traditional nav skills and equipment are marginalized, they will be lost to the majority.

It would be interesting to stop and check everyone with a beacon, GPS, or nav unit and see if they have a traditional magnetic compass and map, and really know how to use them.

#225552 - 06/09/11 02:05 PM Re: Delorme Introduces inReach – First 2-way Consumer [Re: falcon5000]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: falcon5000
Sorry chaosmagnet about the slow reply but you are right about the cost, if the Delorme can do it better for cheaper that would be nice but the delorme has to work with a GPS with it doesn't it and the others has a GPS built in, I need to do more research but if it will work with a garmin. I would like it to be built in one unit and not have to rely on 2 units. I'm still waiting to see how the new Garmin Montana will be.

I believe that the inReach has its own GPS onboard if you're using it standalone. You won't be able to see where you are, but GEOS will if you press the SOS button.

#225553 - 06/09/11 02:07 PM Re: Delorme Introduces inReach – First 2-way Consumer [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
It would be interesting to stop and check everyone with a beacon, GPS, or nav unit and see if they have a traditional magnetic compass and map, and really know how to use them.

I am 100% in favor of carrying a compass and a map, knowing how to use them, and confirming your location periodically as you navigate.

#225562 - 06/09/11 04:25 PM Re: Delorme Introduces inReach – First 2-way Consumer [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In the early days of GPS, around 1991 or so, I got a notice from Magellan that, oh, by the way, the GPS system was going to be out of commission for about three days just before Christmas (probably so that Santa could navigate traditionally). I am not sure just why this occurred, but there it was.

I think of that whenever I search out my trusty topo map, a piece of equipment I was familiar with long before GPS showed on the scene. GPS is very, very nice and it has simplified my life remarkably, especially in regard to locating archaeological sites, but i won't trust everything to a system that can be disabled or degraded (remember Selective Availability?) by The Powers That Be. You are absolutely right.

#225688 - 06/10/11 09:08 PM Re: Delorme Introduces inReach – First 2-way Consumer [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
I've never had any issues with GPS. The units I have work well for me.

That said, I alway carry a map and compass with me in the backcountry and I know how to use them.

I teach backcountry navigation classes in the Pacific Northwest.

I try to impress on my students that land navigation skills are on a par with and just as important as marksmanship, tracking and physical condidtioning.

Blake
www.outdoorquest.biz
www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com

#225767 - 06/12/11 03:41 PM Re: Delorme Introduces inReach – First 2-way Consumer [Re: Russ]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: Russ
I see an Android in my smartphone future...

Me too, I'm definitely not abandoning Garmin for Delorme for my GPS needs, so getting an Android phone would seem to be the only option if you want to use this device (although I believe they are looking at supporting other platforms, but who knows when that may come).

Speaking of Android phones, I wonder if the new Casio G'Zone Commando might be good mate for this device given its supposed "rugged" design.

#246283 - 05/25/12 03:30 AM Re: Delorme Introduces inReach – First 2-way Consumer [Re: Doug_Ritter]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
They now have an IOS application.

-john

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 242 Guests and 82 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.