The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#227283 - 07/05/11 03:12 PM Re: Quintessential urban pain [Re: dweste]
Eastree Offline
Journeyman

People are the biggest pain.

In a lot of places, there are people who know next to nothing beyond the modern conveniences which are taken for granted. In a city, there are a lot more people to take it for granted, and it seems many fewer people who know anything else.

Also are the people who seem to act like the world is there for their sakes, and have no problem acting like it: treating other people like crap for not giving them everything they want, driving like morons (cutting people off, running red lights at high speeds, not driving within their lanes, changing lanes without looking to see that there's a car next to them ... etc.).

It's really the reason I think I'd rather bug out of the city if something seems it may be about to happen (or if I think I can still make my way out after the fact).

Too many people act like everyone and everything else is there for their own benefit, and think there's nothing wrong with taking advantage of others because of that.

#227302 - 07/05/11 07:14 PM Re: Quintessential urban pain [Re: dweste]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've found there are bad and goo people everywhere. Take Eastree's example, I've seen just as many people in the country that are wholly dependent on Walmart, just as many people in the country that will cut you off, run the lights (or stop signs), cross the center line on curves, etc. Those people are not limited to the city.

I've also found many good people in both.

#227315 - 07/06/11 01:23 AM Re: Quintessential urban pain [Re: Eastree]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Also are the people who seem to act like the world is there for their sakes, and have no problem acting like it: treating other people like crap for not giving them everything they want, driving like morons (cutting people off, running red lights at high speeds, not driving within their lanes, changing lanes without looking to see that there's a car next to them ... etc.).

Well, Eastree, your post has been therapy for my stress. I thought I am the only one seeing this crap going on (my DW frequently complains about my complaints). It helps to see that others are noticing what some people have become !!

We have a colleague who won't listen to you if he starts to "help" you. He will do what he thinks YOU need, despite your efforts to clarify that it is not necessary. Like yesterday, at work he drilled (destroyed) a 20 liter plastic bottle cap while "helping" me , despite my attempts to tell him we already have a cap with holes, and the other cap is needed WITHOUT holes (like when we transport the large bottle full of water).

He drilled it anyway. And if I didn't send him on another job, he was going to drill holes in the bottle itself !!!

That is not to mention hoses attached to the system, we wanted to tighten with zipties for easy removal when they need to be changed, he said it was not necessary and "welded" them with a cigarette lighter !

My God !! I hope and pray he isn't around when SHTF.

#227320 - 07/06/11 01:33 AM Re: Quintessential urban pain [Re: dweste]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Construction, detours and projects that take forever to be completed. And when they are completed , you wonder if they were necessary at all.

#227321 - 07/06/11 01:37 AM Re: Quintessential urban pain [Re: Chisel]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Chisel
Construction, detours and projects that take forever to be completed. And when they are completed , you wonder if they were necessary at all.

I can't speak for every place but when I see that here, I see progress.

Jeanette Isabelle

#227337 - 07/06/11 12:52 PM Re: Quintessential urban pain [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Sometimes, but sometimes those projects can only be considered "progress" by a few who doubled their bank accounts.

#227339 - 07/06/11 01:08 PM Re: Quintessential urban pain [Re: dweste]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
There is construction on Main St. Though parking, for the time being, is a challenge, I'm glad this construction is being done and I look forward to the end result. This area is my home and make overs like these make it a nicer place to live.

Jeanette Isabelle

#227410 - 07/07/11 02:47 PM Re: Quintessential urban pain [Re: dweste]
The_Urbivalist Offline
Stranger

Loc: Southern California
I second the traffic comments. Worst "wrench in the works" during normal day to day activities and BOS. Usually I can avoid the daily rush hour commute, but 4th of July was a good reminder of how quickly it can become a mess...

#227792 - 07/13/11 07:23 PM Re: Quintessential urban pain [Re: dweste]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I have lots of problems to think about
And every morning, when I go to work, my brain is usually humming and exploring options. It annoys me a great deal when I am interrupted along the way from car parking to my office for whatever reason and I have to leave my thinking to say (yes) , (no), (good morning) , whatever.

I just want to be left alone in the morning.

Take the Asian worker who asks me if he can clean my car ??
(no) , is the usual answer while grinding my teeth...

If he knew me well enough, he would have cleaned the car without asking, and would ask for money at the end of the day, when most of my problems has been taken care of , and I would gladly pay him before getting in the car and going home.

It annoys me to have to turn to every person and having to reply something.

#227983 - 07/17/11 09:52 PM Re: Quintessential urban pain [Re: dweste]
Blacktop Offline

Loc: Cypress, TX
The urban worst is the sheer density of stupid, helpless people. I try to stay away from crowds if I can, but I'm prepared to be irritated by those who cannot think for themselves to solve simple problems. I'm not the most intelligent knife in the drawer, but people sure make me feel like a genius sometimes!

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 251 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by rafowell
05/26/24 09:10 PM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.