Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#224934 - 06/01/11 11:53 PM Re: Thoughts on this shelter? [Re: MDinana]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

In some ways a step up from a tarp. Tarps lack floors, a bathtub edge to keep puddles out, and walls to keep wind out. Yes, all these can be provided other ways, a watertight ground cloth can be formed with 'mattress corners' on stakes to be a bathtub floor. A tarp can be rigged low and on down to the ground to keep wind out while providing ventilation.

Polyester has some good points. Polyester is much more resistant to UV than nylon. Polyester also doesn't stretch so much, so the geometry doesn't change, allowing sag or flapping, and it doesn't lose strength about (15%) when wet like nylon does.

Most modern waterproofed fabrics use a very thin urethane coating. This coating is subject to mechanical damage, aging/decomposition over the long term, and delamination on stretchy fabrics like nylon. Polyester doesn't help with the first two but can make a difference on the third count. The good news is that urethane coatings can be replaced and repaired with paint-on sealer. Sil-nylon is saturated with silicone and so highly water repellent. Until there is sil-polyester to get the same water repellent qualities it has to be treated. DWR or silicone will work but neither is permanent. But this might not be an issue for survival and disaster use under a month or two. Longer term you may need to re-treat.

Of course nylon's tendency to slowly degrade with exposure to UV means that any extended exposure might get iffy. Early nylon tents had no chemical UV blocker and the material got weak and brittle in a shockingly short time. Sometimes a month of tropical sun was all you could expect. A lot depends on the amount of UV blocker is included in the fabric and how much excess strength is built into the tent design.

#224939 - 06/02/11 12:41 AM Re: Thoughts on this shelter? [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would like to get my grubby mitts on one to check out its build quality. My suspicious side says that corners may very well have been cut to get such an attractive price. And we all know that cut corners are not at all attractive on a tent.

#224945 - 06/02/11 01:09 AM Re: Thoughts on this shelter? [Re: MDinana]
Ironwood Offline
Journeyman

I have used a "repaired" Eureka Timberline 4 RAINFLY from a youth camp I used to work for. I sewed a repair on the angered youth "rip" and have used it FOR years (like 14 years) and it works great except in bad mosquito and blackfly country when they are "in season", or perhaps WE are in season to them. I use my multi purpose hiking poles for the ends and viola.

Ironwood

#224952 - 06/02/11 01:29 AM Re: Thoughts on this shelter? [Re: MDinana]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Generally, as long as the basic materials are good, usually a good bet, you can take marginal canvas goods and make them as strong as expedition-grade stuff by adding reinforcements and extra stitching. Once you get the knack modifying and improving equipment can be an engaging, and profitable, hobby.

#224953 - 06/02/11 01:31 AM Re: Thoughts on this shelter? [Re: MDinana]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
It's Nowhere near as versatile as,A vintage Military rubberized(vulcanized) poncho,It is quite a bit lighter though,I wouldn't abandon my poncho for it!

#224955 - 06/02/11 01:43 AM Re: Thoughts on this shelter? [Re: MDinana]
Ironwood Offline
Journeyman

NOT to mention the PONCHO LINER!!!! I have had mine for about 25 years and it goes everywhere with me. I did sew a ykk zipper to it to make it into a sleeping bag. I will be CREAMATED in it, no joke. It has been with me everywhere from northern Canada to Southern Mexico, Peru, and everynight here at home. I used to spent 200+ nights a year in the backcountry.
Ironwood

#224957 - 06/02/11 01:46 AM Re: Thoughts on this shelter? [Re: Roarmeister]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
And of course - blaze orange is the only colour of choice for a survival situation if you want to be seen.

Put your credit card aside for a few moments Izzy. T least until we've had a good chance to discuss it. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#224981 - 06/02/11 06:16 AM Re: Thoughts on this shelter? [Re: MDinana]
juhirvon Offline

Judging from the picture, the angle of the roof is too shallow in my opinion. Heavy rain or even moderate snowfall will put quite a load on and might collapse the whole thing.

That is, unless there are other set up options or you have the luxury of being able to pick a good site to set one up.

-jh

#224993 - 06/02/11 10:20 AM Re: Thoughts on this shelter? [Re: MDinana]
Frisket Offline
Addict

2 Green and brown tarps for 10$ and a Bug net for 8$. 18$ and your set. Its no 200$ tent but its better then nothing at all. 70$ is just a bit much for me to consider "cheap".

Edited by Frisket (06/02/11 10:20 AM)

#225002 - 06/02/11 12:18 PM Re: Thoughts on this shelter? [Re: Frisket]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Frisket
2 Green and brown tarps for 10$ and a Bug net for 8$. 18$ and your set. Its no 200$ tent but its better then nothing at all. 70$ is just a bit much for me to consider "cheap".

Absolutely right, but are you seriously going to endure the weight of those tarps in your day pack on the off chance that you might need them? In so many items, there is a relationship between weight, cost, and utility. You can choose any two characteristics.

My personal preference is a SOL Thermal Bivy, usually listed for about $35, weighing about 6 ounces. It can be used virtually anywhere and will do better than a tent in retaining heat. I usually have a mylar blanket along which can be rigged as a tarp to keep additional rain off.

I also keep some blue tarps in my vehicle for possible shelter use. Weight is not an issue there.

You can find an assortment of bivy sacks, some of which are actually mini-tents, ranging in price up toward $200. Something for everyone.....

"Tents" are available very cheaply, often well under a hundred bucks. The ones I have seen are pretty much junk, useless and undependable once you leave your backyard, and heavy to boot.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 293 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.