Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#219144 - 03/14/11 10:18 PM International Red Cross "Safe & Well Registry"
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
The International Red Cross has a website where victims of large-scale disasters can register to let friends and family know they are okay and how to contact them. It's a worthwhile site to have bookmarked in case you ever need it. Of course you also need to let your friends and family know about it so they can check it to track you down or vice-versa.
Red Cross Safe & Well Registry

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#219153 - 03/14/11 11:16 PM Re: International Red Cross "Safe & Well Registry" [Re: Blast]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
My first thought was....that's a great idea!

My second thought was...wait, how would I get on the internet in a wide scale emergency? I don't carry an internet capable device as part of my bug-out gear. Plus, if 9/11 is at all indicative of how a major disaster in the future would go down.....then I won't have cell phone or internet service for days. blush

It's still a good thing to keep in mind though. You just never know which resources will and won't be available after a wide-scale emergency.

#219164 - 03/15/11 12:53 AM Re: International Red Cross "Safe & Well Registry" [Re: Paul810]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
My understanding is you can also sign up on the registry at Red Cross stations.

In regards to the Japan earthquake, I read somewhere that Facebook is turning out to be the communication medium of choice for people as many can access it from smart phones. Apparently their cell phone system is much more robust than ours.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#219166 - 03/15/11 01:07 AM Re: International Red Cross "Safe & Well Registry" [Re: Blast]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Google has someting similar...

#220447 - 03/29/11 12:44 AM Re: International Red Cross "Safe & Well Registry" [Re: Blast]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Brilliant idea! Thanks Blast!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#220463 - 03/29/11 02:27 AM Re: International Red Cross "Safe & Well Registry" [Re: Blast]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Great info, thanks.

#224792 - 05/31/11 06:14 PM Re: International Red Cross "Safe & Well Registry" [Re: Blast]
Paltik Offline
Stranger

Many amateur radio stations are rigged to run off backup power and many are capable of accessing the Internet via packet radio networks.

#224850 - 06/01/11 03:23 AM Re: International Red Cross "Safe & Well Registry" [Re: Paul810]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Originally Posted By: Paul810
My first thought was....that's a great idea!

My second thought was...wait, how would I get on the internet in a wide scale emergency?

I was a Red Cross Responder (also a ham) doing communications during Katrina. We provided internet service via a Red Cross Satellite Link to many shelters and other locations. People could do whatever they wanted and many used the service.

There were several other organizations providing similar services although some would not let people actually use the computers but were restricting them to a sort of "telegram" service. Some filtered the content quite severely.

There always seems to be a way to get on the internet. Ham radio is also frequently used, although slow, it does work well. Here again, it usually requires people to write their messages as sort of a telegram and it is sent by operators. Although in some situations now, standard e-mail programs are interfaced and people can type their own messages. One sees this more where large agencies such as hospitals are communicating via ham radio. These are usually situations where a lot of prior coordination has take place. Such as between a hospital and a local Emergency Operations Center etc.

I assume that the situation is very dynamic and getting more available and user friendly every day.

Nomad.

#239872 - 01/22/12 06:17 AM Re: International Red Cross "Safe & Well Registry" [Re: Blast]
gitnready4it Offline
Stranger

I live near Joplin MO and after the May 22 tornado someone used there Facebook page and helped a lot of people connect and find loved ones. Of course this would not be an option in a grid down scenario or teotwawki.

Survival Foods

#256302 - 02/07/13 12:47 PM Re: International Red Cross "Safe & Well Registry" [Re: Blast]
alexbrit Offline
Stranger

Loc: New York
Thanks for sharing such an important information.Red Cross is very best institute providing lot of rescue services all over the world.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.