The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#224636 - 05/30/11 12:57 AM Re: Carry 40 pounds diving weight bags [Re: dweste]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
You can adapt some of the inexpensive tool bags from the big orange store or its competition. There are some that compartmented and would work great.

Standard Disclaimer

My $.02

#224650 - 05/30/11 08:14 AM Re: Carry 40 pounds diving weight bags [Re: MoBOB]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Forty poounds? That is a lot of lead. Why are you carrying around what is usually about two weight belts?

#224653 - 05/30/11 09:47 AM Re: Carry 40 pounds diving weight bags [Re: hikermor]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Forty poounds? That is a lot of lead. Why are you carrying around what is usually about two weight belts?

The bags come in a number of different weights [10, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1]. To keep balanced I need two sets of identical weights, one on each side of my weight harness. Depending on water temperature I wear more or thicker layers of wetsuit; my body weight and percentage of fat varies a bit over time; and as my gear load varies it can go from positive to negative buoyancy.

To achieve just slightly negative buoyancy for freediving requires a bit of weight experimentation each time. Over the years, I have needed as high as 32 pounds of weight and as little as 22, and most of the stops in between. To be able to get the right weight set, ranging so far from 16 pounds a side to 11 pounds a side has required assembling a collection of weight bags. Plus, to be prepared, I carry a few more pounds of weight than I have needed to be on the safe side - and occasionally to help a diving buddy get it right.

It sounds more complicated than it is in practice. You get suited and geared up, guess at the weight you need, load the bags into the pockets on the harness, and get wet. If you immediately bob to the surface or sink to the bottom, you adjust the weight load. I takes a few minutes but fine tuning lets you move almost effortlessly in the water column and prevents the use of energy and beath struggling to maintain position.

More than you ever wanted to know ....

Edited by dweste (05/30/11 09:49 AM)

#224659 - 05/30/11 11:55 AM Re: Carry 40 pounds diving weight bags [Re: dweste]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am a scuba diver too, but it has just never been that complex. I dragged a weight belt around and occasionally shed a weight or two if I was in fresh water, as opposed to my normal salt water venue. My belt was about twenty- twenty-two pounds. It helped that I was normally using steel tanks. I never required forty pounds, and I am not exactly slender.

#224680 - 05/30/11 06:55 PM Re: Carry 40 pounds diving weight bags [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

These days SCUBA usually involve a buoyancy compensation or BC vest that uses air from your SCUBS tank to allow precise adjustment of your buoyancy. I freedive and no such device is used, so I have to physically make weight adjustments.

In addition to my seemingly everchanging weight, I am usually messing with new and different gear, each item of which has makes it own buoyancy contribution. Camera and camera light housings, large spearguns - particulary if with wooden bodies, foraging tools like abalone irons and crab or bivalve legal-size guages which vary with the legal season, gloves, booties, rash guard clothing, etcetera. It always seems to be a different buoyancy puzzle.

The puzzle is always quickly solved, but it is a step in my preparation each time.

Maybe I am doing something wrong!

#224705 - 05/30/11 10:36 PM Re: Carry 40 pounds diving weight bags [Re: dweste]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
I can already see the fabric beginning to part and strap sewing straining.

Try one of the Swiss Gear packs. IIRC I was using one for about 30lbs if I was carrying the whole day's books & a laptop.

#224755 - 05/31/11 01:59 PM Re: Carry 40 pounds diving weight bags [Re: Art_in_FL]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
As stated the requirement is both quixotic and ridiculous. Your wasting everyone's time.

Art,

If you think it is wasting your time, please stop reading the thread. The rest of us are quite capable of deciding that for ourselves.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Edited by JerryFountain (05/31/11 02:00 PM)
Edit Reason: quote

#224776 - 05/31/11 04:19 PM Re: Carry 40 pounds diving weight bags [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Art's comments took me a bit by suprise and seem out of character for him. For my part I am content to just move on, though I reserve the right to tilt at the occasional windmill.

#224846 - 06/01/11 02:00 AM Re: Carry 40 pounds diving weight bags [Re: dweste]
Hanscom Offline
Journeyman

My first thought was an old style external frame backpack to isolate you from the weight behind. But backpacks are all designed for distributed weight, and you are dealing with concentrated weight. A decent pack--not a cheapie--should be able to handle 30 pounds.

Try cutting up a half inch closed cell foam sleeping pad. Put a couple of pieces in the bottom of the pack to distribute the load. U-shaped, going up the front and back several inches. One of the layers could go up front and back, the second up both sides.

Try to find out what rock climbers use for packs nowadays. They tend to carry a lot of ironmongery, albeit probably not as heavy a load as yours.

#224853 - 06/01/11 05:11 AM Re: Carry 40 pounds diving weight bags [Re: dweste]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Hey D,have a look at the French water buckets in Sportsmans guide site,they are Heavy duty canvas,collapsable & Cheap!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 546 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.