Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#224237 - 05/24/11 05:32 PM Re: Why is our news so lousy? [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
As long as we have fanciful tales masquerading as true instances of actual survival on this site, I don't think we have a leg to stand on. We are no better than any other media outlet.

#224254 - 05/24/11 08:47 PM Re: Why is our news so lousy? [Re: Susan]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
News is a business where advertisers are the clients. Above all else, news must be entertaining and simple to keep the attention of consumers who will buy the advertised products. In the past, media outlets didn't have to compete with the Internet. Nowadays, anybody with a little money can put up a website and be a competitor of CNN, Fox, MSNBC, etc.

Related story, I bought about 5 different local newspapers the other day. Are these things getting thin or what? I guess few people read newspapers anymore...sigh.

#224261 - 05/24/11 09:13 PM Re: Why is our news so lousy? [Re: Susan]
Frisket Offline
Addict

People often look at me as if Im insane when I tell them I do not watch the news. Im Happy to find so many here think of it the same as I do.

#224262 - 05/24/11 09:20 PM Re: Why is our news so lousy? [Re: gonewiththewind]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Montanero:
Quote:
The news media is a business, and they need to get good ratings to make money. To do that they present drama and controversy. TV news is more entertainment than information.

and...
Ireckon:
Quote:
News is a business where advertisers are the clients. Above all else, news must be entertaining and simple to keep the attention of consumers who will buy the advertised products.

That's the hollow-headed, knee-jerk thinking of big business, with the usual short-term follow-through, resulting in...

Quote:
I picked about 5 different local newspapers the other day. Are these things getting thin or what? I guess few people read newspapers anymore...

People don't trust the news sources, so they don't pay attention to them. So, to keep the advertising coming in, they regress to news bytes on dimwitted, drunken/drugged, promiscuous pseudo-celebrities whose names a thinking person wouldn't recognize, catering only to the people whose reading consists of the National Inquirer and comic books.

In the words of a young boy from Arkansas: whoopeedooooodoooo! With the emphasis on the doo-doo.

Sue

#224275 - 05/24/11 10:33 PM Re: Why is our news so lousy? [Re: Susan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Susan

Quote:
I picked about 5 different local newspapers the other day. Are these things getting thin or what? I guess few people read newspapers anymore...

People don't trust the news sources, so they don't pay attention to them.

I an olde guy, and set in my ways. I still subscribe to a morning paper (actually a fairly superior one, the LA Times) and begin the day by reading it cover to cover, a habit i have cultivated for years because a lot of times it paid to trot off to work informed and knowledgeable.

Conventional papers are definitely waning. More and more I read news online. I gave up on conventional TV news years ago. I do find NPR a fairly credible news source.

Any news should be taken cautiously. In the rush to present the story, important details are often overlooked, and critical relationships are not explored. I have seen that all too often where I indeed have independent, credible information.

#224291 - 05/25/11 12:59 AM Re: Why is our news so lousy? [Re: hikermor]
LED Offline
Veteran

Over the years I've come to realize the importance of history in understanding the present because on a macro scale the past really does repeat itself, over and over and over. So IMO, the more you know of history, the easier it is to make sense of the present, weed out reliable media sources, avoid being swayed by propaganda or agendas, etc. The sad fact is that humans have changed very little over the last 100 years. Well, at least we're consistent.

#224293 - 05/25/11 01:32 AM Re: Why is our news so lousy? [Re: Susan]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well, there is satire, then there is apparently American television news. laugh

#224294 - 05/25/11 01:41 AM Re: Why is our news so lousy? [Re: Susan]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
in the early 70s I spent some time in the Far East as an enlisted USAFSS type...although I picked up a little of the language, did not learn to read Japanese, Tagalog, or Thai... relied on the Christian Science Monitor (no religious affiliation)for what I perceived as an unbiased news source...used it for situational awareness especially in the Philippines and Thailand

#224307 - 05/25/11 06:09 AM Re: Why is our news so lousy? [Re: Susan]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I just remembered that the news channels have picked up stories from the onion news network before....Talk about flat out sad state of the news right there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Onion

Around the bottom has the events.

Edited by Frisket (05/25/11 06:11 AM)

#224319 - 05/25/11 01:04 PM Re: Why is our news so lousy? [Re: ireckon]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: ireckon
Related story, I bought about 5 different local newspapers the other day. Are these things getting thin or what? I guess few people read newspapers anymore...sigh.

Even worse, so many newspapers simply print the majority of their articles from the wire services because they can't afford to have their own reporters to go and cover stories, so many newspapers are basically printing the same stories as each other. Which wouldn't be so bad if the wire services themselves still had top notch journalists like they used to but they are also under financial pressure to keep costs down and churn out stories quickly for 24/7 news coverage.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 508 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.