The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2238 - 10/24/01 06:57 PM Re: EDC absolutes
pteron Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
Left pocket: key ring with green photon III, white photon III, mini fox 40, SAK Classic, suunto clip on compass, sterling sharpener, flint wrapped in duct tape, traser glow ring (helps me find it in the dark!)<br>Right pocket, small wood inlay Sebenza<br>On the belt, Leatherman Wave<br><br>

#2239 - 10/25/01 06:03 PM Re: EDC absolutes
Anonymous
Unregistered

What's my minimum daily carry?<br><br>I like to travel light. My minimum for everyday (around the house, office or town) is usually a knife and flashlight. Recently it's been:<br>1) Victorinox Huntsman SAK<br>2) Photon II, white<br>Both in left front pocket (only pocket left after carrying wallet, Palm, keys, change, etc.).<br><br>But I'd like to upgrade those to:<br>1) Leatherman Juice S2;<br>2) Photon 3, white, crystal;<br>and I may add a button compass.<br><br>During winter months when I wear a jacket, I stash a PSK in the pocket, otherwise I carry my PSK only when I venture into the woods or leave town. Whenever I go walking or hiking, I carry pepper spray, mostly in case of an aggressive dog. Of course, I keep some other gear in my car, in my desk at work and at home, so I'm rarely far from stuff to supplement my minimum carry items, which I try to keep truly minimal.

#2240 - 10/25/01 07:49 PM Re: EDC absolutes
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
Why use a Leatherman sheath instead of a Swiss Army sheath? I used to covet the SwissChamp until I got a CyberTool 34 and found out how well its screwdrivers function. Now I want the CyberTool 41 to have the wood saw and metal saw/file.<br><br>What do you mean by ditty bag?

#2241 - 10/25/01 08:10 PM Re: EDC absolutes
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Ditty bag, a sailor's small canvas bag to carry essential gear, thereby being prepared to sail at a moments notice. In modern times they became the "spit kit" or toiletries bag and the seabag became your suitcase. A sailor's "ditty" is a work song used to relate stories or provide instruction while working. It came from your collection, or "ditty" of experience. Any soft container is a ditty; stuff sack, potato sack, coin sack from the bank ( my favorite). Preceding information paid for by the U.S. taxpayer via the USCG wink

#2242 - 10/26/01 05:36 PM Re: EDC absolutes
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>traser glow ring (helps me find it in the dark!)<<<br><br>That's a great idea. Makes me realize that I would love to have some glow tape to put on my Photon. Hmmm... I wonder where I would find that.

#2243 - 10/29/01 02:39 PM Re: EDC absolutes
pteron Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
Not sure how you'd make it into tape though as it is based on Tritium. Unfortunately, they are difficult to get in the US now, although I have a few coming to me soon I hope!<br><br>Andy

#2244 - 10/29/01 02:49 PM Re: EDC absolutes
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>Not sure how you'd make it into tape though as it is based on Tritium<<<br><br>Yes, I am not thinking of the tritium technology per se for my Photon, just the concept of "glow in the dark" in general. I'm sure there is standard, old-fashioned glow-in-the-dark tape available somewhere, and it seems like that could be a useful addition to some survival equipment under certain curcumstances. The glow ring is neat technology, but there is a certain space consideration with that item that wouldn't be a concern with a small piece of tape.

#2245 - 10/30/01 04:25 AM Re: EDC absolutes
cliff Offline
Sultan of Spiffy
Enthusiast

Loc: Louisiana
OK, since we're all exposing ourselves.......<br><br>On my keychain:<br><br> - Buck Minitool. Love the thing. Use it all the time. But, would a Juice be better?....... Hmmmm.<br> - A "Military Match" Magnesium and flint. Use the Bucktool as the striker.<br> - Photon II. Would like to upgrade to Photon III or the AAA Arclight. (Not-so-subtile hint for Christmas, Peanut...)<br> - P-38 can opener. Carried this for 20+ years. [censored] useful. Each time I think I should ditch it (I mean, who uses cans...?), I find another use. Last week - prying off door hinge pins.<br> - One of my military dog tags. (In case of amnesia?)<br> - A Lifkin 36" tape. This has nothing to do with survival. I'm an architect, and I use constantly. Also, it's orange, so I can spot my keychain when dropped.<br><br>In my "daytimer":<br>OK, it's really an Eagle Creek "Travel Organizer" which holds my Calender/Journal/Sketchbook, address book, pencils, scale, yadda, yadda, yadda. I carry this everywhere. Well, not in the shower, or in the pool, but darn near everywhere. It also holds my "everyday kit", which is contained in this cool metal Hint Mint box. It is thin and slightly curved, so fits easily in a pocket, too. It contains:<br><br>First Aid Kit:<br> - Bandaids (6)<br> - Alchaol swabs (2)<br> - Antiseptic swab (1)<br> - Moleskin<br> - Gauze pad (1)<br> - Steri Strips<br>Sewing kit<br> - Needles (3, including one heavy duty)<br> - Pins (3)<br> - Thread (black, white, olive, and 10' of 'Spider-wire'<br> - Buttons (2) (I loose these constantly)<br>Safety Pins (3)<br>Paper Clips (2) (for stout wire)<br>X-acto blades (2) (you never know....)<br>1/2 book of matches (out of an MRE)<br>Cotton Ball (firestarter, first aid uses)<br>(Matches, cotton ball and First Aid Kit in tiny zip lock)<br><br>Also in my Eagle Creek, I carry 4 one dollar bills and four quarters, 36" of paracord, some oral "brace" wax (with as many fillings as I have, when they fall out....), asprin and personal meds in a tubular Tylenol container, and a whistle.<br><br>The cell phone is also not more than a belt loop away. I now consider this a required bit of survival kit.<br><br>In my briefcase, I have my larger kit. It is usually in the car or at my desk, and is also tailored to be my "Oh, Sh**! Kit" for camping: It contains more first aid kit items, trash bag, ziplock bags, lighter, compass, 25' paracord, signal mirror, survival saw, fishing kit, Swiss Army "Camper" knife. It is contained in a hard plastic surplus container formerly used for carrying decon packets with the M17A1 gas mask.<br><br>That's about it. Any suggestions appreciated. Any compliments greatly appreciated.<br><br> .....CLIFF<br>

#2246 - 10/30/01 06:26 AM Re: EDC absolutes
Anonymous
Unregistered

What would you consider the difference between a BOB and a "possibles" bag? I don't want to lug around a BOB for everyday carry. But, is there still too much in that daypack of mine? What would you change? <br>Card wallet (ID, credit cards, etc.) <br>Photon 3 (white) <br>Photon 2 (white) <br>2 Spare lithium batteries for Photons <br>CMG Infinity Light (red) <br>CMG Infinity Light (white) <br>2 Spare AA lithium batteries <br>Spyderco FRN Delica (50/50 edge) <br>Victorinox Huntsman SAK <br>3 Mini Bic lighters (2 in waterproof Ziplock) <br>Leatherman Pulse (on belt) <br>Benchmade Stryker (50/50 edge) <br>Spyderco Pocket Pro Files <br>DMT Pocket Sharpener(fine) <br>Spare change <br>Fingernail clippers <br>100' cordage <br>Rubberbands <br>Safety pins <br>Paperclips <br>Small sewing kit (with awls and dental floss) <br>Notepad and pencil <br>Whistle/compass/magnifier/thermometer (el cheapo thing) <br>2 Heavy duty trash bags <br>packet of tissues in Ziplock bag <br>REI Elements anorak <br>REI Windstopper fleece <br>Nalgene bottle <br>Red Sabre pepper spray <br>Micra and SAK Classic on keyring <br>cottonballs stuffed into 35mm film cannister <br>small candle (votive type) <br>5 sq.' of aluminum foil <br>small bottle of ibuprofen

#2247 - 10/30/01 02:27 PM Re: EDC absolutes
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>is there still too much in that daypack of mine? What would you change? <<<br><br>Gatekeeper,<br>Only you know what your needs really are based on your circumstances. That may be the perfect assortment for you. Not knowing anything about your situation or what you are trying to be prepared for, my first reaction is that you have a lot of duplication in that equipment. <br><br>How many flashlights/spare batteries are you carrying? How many knife blades? How many lighters? Do you really need that much duplication, or would one or 2 of each suffice? You may be able to lighten your load considerably by thinking really hard about that question.<br><br>I personally try to eliminate most redundancy in my survival equipment. I consider the entire kit to be a redundancy in its self anyway. If all goes according to plan, I won't need any of it. If something goes wrong, the kit is the backup. Does your backup need backup? Maybe or maybe not.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 220 Guests and 76 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.