Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#224008 - 05/21/11 05:51 AM Re: Latex vs. vinyl vs. nitrile gloves [Re: bacpacjac]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I might have been better off with a thicker outter pair of gloves. Rubber dish/chemical gloves maybe?

Rubber dish gloves offer decent protection against scrapes, but there's a loss of fine dexterity. Try putting on a bandaid while wearing them.

I can buy smaller packs (6-10 pairs) of disposable gloves and rotate them out on a 6 month basis. Use the old one for cleaning the cat's litter box.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#224014 - 05/21/11 11:51 AM Re: Latex vs. vinyl vs. nitrile gloves [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

I also have considered going without. The actual benefits of safety in the field provided by gloves have never been entirely clear to me.

In the old days, before 1977or so, gloves were never used and were not part of any FA protocol. Then along came HIV/AIDS and the routine use of gloves.

I grinned yesterday, donating blood, when the technician put of gloves just to take a tiny drop to check my hematocrit. Never happened back way back when.

Now I just buy disposable gloves by the box at Costco (a big box store, logically enough) and keep several pairs in my FAKs. They are also handy in various dirty chores - handling insecticides, casting fossils with plaster, cleaning engines, you name it.

Be sure you learn the proper way to divest yourself of these gloves, so that you do not contaminate yourself.

#224046 - 05/21/11 10:10 PM Re: Latex vs. vinyl vs. nitrile gloves [Re: Mark_R]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
With the diseases around these days (AIDS, HIV, MERSA, etc), it seems it would be better to wear the gloves than to go bare-handed. If the gloves protect you four out of five times, you're still ahead. With luck, the fifth time the patient is 'clean'. With luck.

Sue

#224199 - 05/24/11 05:02 AM Re: Latex vs. vinyl vs. nitrile gloves [Re: Mark_R]
Cecillo Offline
Stranger

Loc: New York
I think nitrile will best, I read some where about this. If you ordered these please share how will your experience with this.

#224250 - 05/24/11 08:23 PM Re: Latex vs. vinyl vs. nitrile gloves [Re: Art_in_FL]
Basecamp Offline

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Firemen have long used tough leather gloves and I have seen a few EMTs wearing tough over-gloves, looked like poly knit work gloves, over the thinner rubber ones.

The woven gloves were probably for sharps protection; something like: http://www2.dupont.com/Personal_Protection/en_US/products/kevlar/cut_products.html

#224259 - 05/24/11 09:09 PM Re: Latex vs. vinyl vs. nitrile gloves [Re: hikermor]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: hikermor
handling insecticides, casting fossils with plaster, cleaning engines, you name it.

Just a side note if your gonna be doing anything with petro based things If i recall they eat latex so stick with nitrile.

#224289 - 05/25/11 12:40 AM Re: Latex vs. vinyl vs. nitrile gloves [Re: Mark_R]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Would also use nitrile gloves. If you are using the gloves for anything other than first aid the nitrile gloves hold up better. I work as a machinist and when I am using gloves at work the latex gloves will disintegrate quickly upon contact with any kind of solvent or petroleum based chemicals. Nitrile gloves will usually last for at least a few hours, usually toss them when the the parts I am handling are cleaner than the gloves. But I have also used the same gloves all day, the latex gloves will not hold up that well.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 514 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.