Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#222698 - 05/02/11 02:20 PM Re: A little heresy - do we need firestarters? [Re: bigreddog]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
My minimum fire starting kit is a tiny ferrocerium rod with a length of about 1 1/2" and a diameter of about an 1/8". Even the luxurious version with a magnesium bar has enough place on a dollar coin. Pocket lint or paper handkerchiefs serve as tinder (or to blow the nose if required). It just does not take enough space to even consider leaving it behind. Thatīs also the case with a small BIC and a film canister of matches.
I wont take your challenge. A space blanket is part of the FAK and can double as shelter. Itīs in my EDC even for urban environment. Those items just do not take enough space and effort to think about leaving them and not have them when you need them.
Preparedness is a lifestyle. When you live it, you have a different view on carrying emergency supplies. When asked to select "either a or b", the answer frequently is "both".

#222699 - 05/02/11 02:24 PM Re: A little heresy - do we need firestarters? [Re: Medicineball]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Medicineball
The number one problem (not mentioned) is opsec

I'm a civilian. I have no OPSEC concerns -- rather the contrary. If I'm in a survival situation, I want to be found.

Quote:
I think the reason why we focus on fires is because we like them.

Don't underestimate the positive power of morale. If calm is the only thing that fire provides (besides warmth, visibility, water disinfection, and cooking) then it's worthwhile just for that in many situations.

#222707 - 05/02/11 03:05 PM Re: A little heresy - do we need firestarters? [Re: bigreddog]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
A little heresy - do we need firestarters?

Fire starting kit is tiny and weighs very little even if its just a box of matches or a lighter, yet can potentially provide so much for so little carry weight. Starting fires in good weather is a doddle, it gets much more difficult in difficult weather conditions such as heavy rain, snow and windy conditions where trees find it difficult to become established such as above the tree line, so shelter and insulation become a priority, i.e. a good sleeping bag and bivvy, basha or tent. This is also why lightweight cooking stove systems exist and are commercially available.

#222709 - 05/02/11 04:01 PM Re: A little heresy - do we need firestarters? [Re: bigreddog]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Fire starting is not always needed; but it is both cheap and light -- Why not carry some?

#222713 - 05/02/11 06:24 PM Re: A little heresy - do we need firestarters? [Re: bigreddog]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Yes.

Fire = heat, light, rescue signal, water purification, cooking.

So much good from so little (match, Bic, firesteel). That's why I have firestarters in every pack, vehicles, home, office, purse, wallet.

#222715 - 05/02/11 06:32 PM Re: A little heresy - do we need firestarters? [Re: bigreddog]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
The year is 2011. We obviously don't need fire starters anymore...duh!

#222718 - 05/02/11 07:04 PM Re: A little heresy - do we need firestarters? [Re: bigreddog]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
I would venture a guess that most of us who consider fire starting items essential live in or near wooded areas that are also subject to drops in temperature (myself included, and YES, I do consider fire starting items essential kit items). I also consider shelter items essential for the kit as well, and place it's priority just slightly above the fire starting items. All that said, your scenario where there is no wood or other fuel available has given me quite a bit to think about.

In situations where fire is not possible or not advisable, I have to agree with others about bringing along a stove with fuel, and would also suggest including some of the various hand warmers available if there is room. These can be activated and placed in strategic spots (like under the armpits) to keep you warm.

BTW, welcome to the forums Vasco.

#222719 - 05/02/11 07:43 PM Re: A little heresy - do we need firestarters? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: Paul810
A lot of people consider a knife to be the #1 most important survival tool, but I actually think a fire-starting method is my #1 most important item

A knife may or may not be the #1 most important survival tool based on your location and circumstances, but I think it is certainly the #1 most versatile survival tool.

I say to this that the Number system within the survival community is bunk. To Consider one thing the most important or to line things up in order of importance is giving reason to not carry things lower on the list and or Further romanticizing the survive with 1-3 things lifestyle I believe most of us here frown upon (could be wrong sorry). If you are preparing why not prepare to the fullest extent of your abilities? Learn how to Survive without and prepare to survive with. With all that yes I believe in carrying a Firesteel but no I do not think about EDCing one during everyday life. In the woods a Firesteel will be on me nomatter what other methods of firestarting I have or Know how to improvise. As for every Day life I EDC A lighter.

#222720 - 05/02/11 07:46 PM Re: A little heresy - do we need firestarters? [Re: hikermor]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Originally Posted By: Vasco

You have to tailor your plans - and your kit - to the likely survival environment.

Yes indeed. The differences in vegetation, weather, and terrain between Wales and some of the wilder tracts in the western US are considerable

Wales will kill every bit as dead as "some of wilder tracts in the western USA".

Why: Because Wales has killer combination of:
1) Heavy cold rain.
2) Cold wind.
3) No shelter.
Classic three strikes and your dead territory.

A firelighting kit is simply a waste of space.

Proper clothing, bivvy bag, kip mat and chemical handwarmer packs.

#222721 - 05/02/11 07:51 PM Re: A little heresy - do we need firestarters? [Re: bigreddog]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
the idea of a survival kit is to carry everything--everything you might need--that everything might be in small amounts but everything.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Bingley), 381 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.