Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#222620 - 05/01/11 02:15 PM Re: Nice video on things to add to a survival kit. [Re: ILBob]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
ILBob, respectfully: GO look at the main page and read through Doug's comments on the RSK. That should address your concerns.

http://www.dougritter.com/psp_index.htm

Regards,
Leigh.

#222627 - 05/01/11 05:15 PM Re: Nice video on things to add to a survival kit. [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The bottom line on all of this is to review the contents of any PSK, make additions that suit you, and know how to utilize the gear when and if the time comes. This is a very healthy discussion.

I personally prefer matches in a waterproof container to butane lighters in a tight situation, although I use butane routinely with my stoves. Matches have always worked for me in situations where I absolutely positively had to have a fire right away.

#222628 - 05/01/11 05:29 PM Re: Nice video on things to add to a survival kit. [Re: hikermor]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
My advice:

Carry both.

A lighter and matches. Ferroceium rod as well.

There is no such animal as overkill when it comes to firelighting.

#222632 - 05/01/11 07:57 PM Re: Nice video on things to add to a survival kit. [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
That's a proper SAK classic, not an imitation. I have one in mine.

I rechecked the video - at first I thought it was an imitation like the one I have but his is the real deal which is much better than the knock-off. I still prefer using a Squirt which isn't much bigger.

#222633 - 05/01/11 08:00 PM Re: Nice video on things to add to a survival kit. [Re: TeacherRO]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Good Video, but for an extra $40 I would add the following;

Knife

Laser signaler

Flashlight

Windproof Lighter or Alternative Cheaper Windproof Lighter

and if room allowed a Folding Stainless Spork

The sewing kit and fishing line/kit are always useful additions, I would also include some 3M Steristrips, alcohol wipes, some NATO lifeboat matches and Striker Pad and a P38 can opener.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (05/01/11 08:02 PM)

#222639 - 05/01/11 10:01 PM Re: Nice video on things to add to a survival kit. [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
ILBob, respectfully: GO look at the main page and read through Doug's comments on the RSK. That should address your concerns.

http://www.dougritter.com/psp_index.htm

Regards,
Leigh.

I probably have read the comments. I was not dissing him. You have to make choices about these kind of things and often the reasons for the choices mean you come out with stuff that does not seem to make all that much sense. Like the scalpel blade.

I don't think much of the idea of putting a single edge razor in such a kit either. Not any better IMHO.

Bob

#222660 - 05/02/11 03:39 AM Re: Nice video on things to add to a survival kit. [Re: TeacherRO]
Frisket Offline
Addict

ILBob, I honestly think your completely missing the point of a "Pocket" survival kit. Also I would love to see you process enough wood for a proper survival situation training session with just an X-acto knife. I will Admit any form of Handle lacking Razor blade, utility or Scalpel, isnt ideal for processing wood but for processing animals and Wild edibles Im sure it will get the job done.

Also I just purchased Lansinoh Brand Milk bags (6$ for 25) and already have great impressions. They are no different then a zip lock back in say thickness and side welds but it is a vertical shaped back and does have two closer zips. The first bottom one is sturdy well locking and Im guessing the main zip to hold the water in the second one above that is disappointingly weak infact weaker then a off brand storage bags lock. No idea why they would do this but would I prefer folding one or more of these up in a PSP over a condom? Yes....thousand times yes...

On a Side note These look like they would be great to store tinder and electronics such as cellphones cameras and Mp3 players in.

Edited by Frisket (05/02/11 03:42 AM)

#222674 - 05/02/11 09:14 AM Re: Nice video on things to add to a survival kit. [Re: TeacherRO]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

everyone on this forum has their own vision of what a kit should contain, and where their weight / size / cost / portability payoffs are. Any pre-made kit will have that decision made already, and the point will be the creators, not yours. Thats we spend so much time tweaking our kits.

In reality I think Dougs kit, a photon, a SAK and a space blanket is a pretty decent compromise that will be in your pocket when you need it and most people can afford and understand

#222680 - 05/02/11 10:25 AM Re: Nice video on things to add to a survival kit. [Re: Frisket]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Frisket
Also I would love to see you process enough wood for a proper survival situation training session with just an X-acto knife.

"processing wood" means getting it ready to use as fuel for a fire, right? I have done it lots of times without using any tools at all. Sometimes I have used a big rock. Usually it takes about fifteen minutes or so to get enough together to last all night.

If I have logs that I can's break up, I feed them into the fire at one end, or burn them into two pieces. The critical step in fire building is getting the fie started and acquiring the tinder for that step. A chunk of esbit fuel or similar can simply that job.

#224404 - 05/27/11 01:45 AM Re: Nice video on things to add to a survival kit. [Re: Roarmeister]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
I laughed at his mickey mouse imitation SAK he added. I've got a nearly identical one at a trade show -- it is a joke.

Unless it is of poor quality, and those do exist, I don't believe a tool should be balked at. The tool that works for you is the tool you should carry.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.