Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#222482 - 04/29/11 03:04 AM Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment [Re: Art_in_FL]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
So, let me get this right... For $30 less you can buy a single mode flashlight than a similarly sized one that has high, medium and low settings. And you are using a model that doesn't appear to be available, and when it was it was from a brand that had quality issues (I bought two Nuwai lights, and sent them back as they were DOA- if you've had good luck, congratulations).

That's like saying you can buy a single Harbour Freight screwdriver for less than the cost of a quality multitool. Yes, yes you can. You can also make tire sandals for a lot less than buying a good pair of boots, if money is the only object and not capability.

I'm not trying to bust your chops, but you are comparing apples and pears here. I'm not saying that you can't get a good light for $20 at this point, you just can't get as much light.

If we want to compare a Fenix apple to a big box apple, let's try this one: the Fenix E01 to a Maglite Solitaire. Both are about the same size, both run on a single AAA, and have exactly one operating mode. I have three E01s, I paid $12-12.50 depending on where I bought them (1 EDC, 1 bug out bag, and one spare in my knife case). I can get a new Solitaire for about $8, and no shipping, but I've retired a number of them. The E01 is brighter (brighter than the standard Mini-Mag, to). The E01 has a much longer battery life. The E01 has no protection over the LED, but I've abused mine in ways that can and has killed Solitaires. The Solitaire does not pass the shower test where I put it on a neck lanyard and take a shower, nor did they like being submerged or run over by a vehicle; the E01 likes it all and the finish is barely even scratched. And being in the front pocket of my EDC bag, it has been slamed and dropped in ways that will kill a regular bulb that has never taken a current.

Actually, I would say that the only entry in Mag's inventory that I would put on par with the E01 in terms of brightness and cost is the Mini-mag, which is several times larger and heavier, costs a little more than twice as much to feed, and is rather a bit more fragile.

Keeping in mind that the only thing I'll ever need to replace on my little Fenix are batteries and maybe O-rings, for more cost, I'd say it is worthwhile.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#222495 - 04/29/11 03:13 PM Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment [Re: Art_in_FL]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
I got one of these in silver years ago:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm-311h_2aaa.htm

It was about $18 at Target.

After roughly four years of entirely reliable and satisfactory service it is still kicking.

Up side is it is $30 cheaper (you could buy three if you include S&H) and slight more compact. Otherwise they are functionally equivalent. Minus the label and bragging rights, of course.

For the price of the Fenix I can buy a perfectly good light, compass, and knife. It is a question of how much you value your money and how careful you are with it.

George Carlin was right - it is all about money. What you do with money; what you do for money.

I'm glad you like it and that it has been dependable for you. I haven't found that to be the case.

I had a couple of those exact lights from Target, branded under the River Rock name, for use as pen lights in medical kits. One totally stopped working right when I needed it and it wasn‘t a battery issue, both have since been replaced with Streamlight penlights. I’d certainly hate to depend on one to navigate a dark trail at night as they are just about bright enough to find something dropped under a desk. They in no way compare to Fenix. My $20 Fenix E05-1AAA is twice as bright as the 2AAA River Rock light and from my experience with other Fenix lights I'd tend to depend on it working when needed a lot more too.

Edited by rebwa (04/29/11 03:20 PM)

#222510 - 04/29/11 07:11 PM Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment [Re: rebwa]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: rebwa
Recently I gifted myself the small 1AAA EO5 for pocket carry...

My own Fenix E05 just came in the mail today. I'm really liking it. Besides the very unobtrusive form factor of a 1AAA light that disappears into the pants pocket of a suit or trousers (no belt carry necessary), the E05 drew my attention because it uses an optic, instead of a reflector, for a very nice, even flood light. Perfect for just about any short/medium-range illumination need.

The addition of a second, lower mode would've made it ideal for me and would allow me to fully replace the long-running E01 model that I already carry, but I'm not complaining.

#222513 - 04/29/11 07:47 PM Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment [Re: Art_in_FL]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
It was about $18 at Target.

Comparing that light to my EDC Quark 123 R5, I have a dramatically higher output (205 OTF lumens for 1.6 hrs vs maybe 30 emitter lumens) or at the other end of the spectrum a usable amount of light for more than four times as long (4 OTF lumens for 2.5 days).

If the light you bought serves your needs, then that's a good thing. As for me, my money was well spent.

Edited by chaosmagnet (04/29/11 07:48 PM)
Edit Reason: correcting flashlight specs

#222559 - 04/30/11 05:06 PM Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment [Re: buckeye]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Buckeye, 'toughened' glass is tempered glass. Not just coated, but all the way through.

Sue

#222565 - 04/30/11 06:29 PM Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I keep a tiny fauxton ( $.35) on my keychain...does the job.

#222852 - 05/04/11 12:45 AM Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio

For anyone interested, here is the response I received from the Fenix support team today (05.03.2011):

Quote:

Hi Michael,

Here is Fenix manufacturer in China.

Thank you very much for your interest in Fenix LD05.

"Toughened ultra clear glass lens with AR coating" is a very durable glass lens that can not be easy to be broken, meanwhile, the efficiency is high, so the light emitted by the LED is easy to pass through the lens and come out.

Best regards!

PS: Sorry for the late reply due to the Labor day holiday.

Buckeye

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#222916 - 05/04/11 07:52 PM Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment [Re: buckeye]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Big fan of Fenix. Even bigger fan of 4sevens lights. Very good and fantastic value for money, respectively.

I have a quark mini AA on my keychain. Just a tiny hair bigger than most AAA lights, but 2.7 times the capacity. Twist on = light. Twist off, then on = more light. Repeat = even more light. I am a big fan of sophisticated things that are really supersimple to use.

Ligth levels: 3 lumens = plenty enough for most close proximity things. Used most, and comes on first. 10 lumens = look for something in a large living room. Close to 100 lumens = look for something in a football field.

#223069 - 05/06/11 06:15 PM Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Basecamp Offline

Loc: PNW
Regarding original flashlight:

Stainless steel head, tail and pocket clip.
https://www.fenix-store.com/popup_image.php?pID=1935&image=1

Features:
Made of durable aircraft grade aluminum

Diameter (head): 0.55 in
Length: 5.9 in
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_419&products_id=1935

Besides it's stated usefulness, it sounds sturdier than a Montblanc as a yawara stick/Kubotan.

Multipurpose.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.