Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#222437 - 04/28/11 02:53 AM Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment [Re: Art_in_FL]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
You might want to avoid the dollar store models if you aren't careful, and you get a leg up in value by buying a major brand name. Fenix doesn't produce enough unit volume to keep a third-party line running so you are paying a premium for production and line setup and tuning. That is in addition to the name. Which explains why you can get similar value for $20 less.

Do you have a link to an example? I view Fenix as a brand that gets you in the ballpark of Surefire, but for quite a bit less money. I think (but I'm not sure) Fenix has quality control, whereas the random no-name doesn't.

#222439 - 04/28/11 03:25 AM Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
I am fortunate to work in an industrial environment where the dresscode is jeans and a polo shirt. It is no problem to walk around with a Leatherman on your belt, a folding knife clipped to one front pocket and a high output EDC flashlight clipped to the other pocket. However many of our friends here at ETS must meet a more stylish dresscode and having a SureFire sticking out of your pocket is a no-no.

I work in a business casual office. I've always dropped the heavier stuff (mini-mag, pocket knife/MT, etc.) into my business bag. Either one of the outside compartments or the organizer section. I keep a mini-LED (Princeton Tec Pulsar II) on my keyring for the usual power outages.

Edited by Mark_R (04/28/11 03:25 AM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#222442 - 04/28/11 03:38 AM Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I spelunked for years with a carbide lamp, an incandescent industrial flashlight, and a small candle lantern.

I too used a carbide lamp for many years, both spelunking and SAR - a wonderful technology since you were carrying both light and fire starter in one package (except when you were on the scene of a plane wreck - carbide was then rather inappropriate). I always carried spare felts, jets, sparkers, and rubber washers and I was occasionally glad I did.

I would second Ireckon - can you give an example? I have bought lights at the local big boxes - fortunately for relatively noncritical uses. I will stick with my Fenix models for absolute reliability. I recently rendered first aid to a fellow worker with grand mal seizures. It was a fairly dark environment and my Fenix, available on my key ring, was absolutely critical, especially for checking pupillary response. It has lit every time with great reliability, and due to its variable lighting levels, I am confident I could hike all night with it if necessary. And since it is a keyring light, it goes fine in any work environment.

#222444 - 04/28/11 04:17 AM Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
They aren't, all you need to do it look into the reflector and see what LED they are using. Fenix and other better Chinese brand uses the newest bleeding edge LEDs while hardware store variety uses mostly no name LED or many years old models from name brand.

#222446 - 04/28/11 04:50 AM Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment [Re: dweste]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: dweste
Too expensive unless money is no object.

Ditto the comments re: modern flashlights. LED's ARE pricier, but unlike the darned MiniMag, you won't be changing a bulb every 3 battery sets. Those costs add up fast.

Besides, it's roughly the price of hte bottom line Surefire.

Every Fenix have had has been pretty impressive and functionally very good.

Golook up the Gatlight ($300, or more) if you want to see overpriced.

Edited by MDinana (04/28/11 06:35 AM)

#222447 - 04/28/11 05:08 AM Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Streamlight makes some very good quality stylus/penlight models for much less money but they might fall a bit short of being "dressy" enough to pass as a high zoot fountain pen.

As far as cost goes, the highest priced product on the shelf is often cheapest in the long run. Mag-Lites have given me fits with unreliability, and I've found high-pressure Xenon/halogen bulbs tend to burn out at the most inconvenient times...and of course, the bulb often costs half of the what a new light does.

My favorite light right now is my Surefire E1B Backup. It has a powerful LED and takes just one CR123A (a battery I have at least 30 of on hand). It's been bombproof for me, and even though the current price is $160 I'd probably have to buy one again if I lost mine. It's that good!

#222452 - 04/28/11 10:54 AM Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Corporate people can be funny, all "that'll never happen" untill that happens. I'm lucky to be in a small casual environment too but haven't been so fortunate in the past. Something that's cool, practical and discrete can be tremendously valuable. I'm a huge fan of a good light but I'm not sure I'd spring for that price tag though. Being known as a Scout leader buys me enough cred to get away with a little less corporate camo.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#222455 - 04/28/11 11:52 AM Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#222456 - 04/28/11 11:52 AM Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
ajax Offline

I would recommend the Quark Preon2 if you're already on 4Seven's site.
http://goo.gl/mtyuV

It's cheaper than the LD05, has lower lows, higher highs and 7 modes vs. 3 from the Fenix.

The Preon2 also comes with a 1xAAA body, a clicky button, and a key chain end so you can play with the configuration. Single or double AAA, clicky or twisty.

It is a far better value than the Fenix and I defy anyone to find this kind of performance or versatility in a big box store...unless it sells this.

Getting back to the original thread title, I would also point to the Streamlight pen light series.
Stylus - http://goo.gl/yKSCB MADE IN USA
Stylus Pro - http://goo.gl/aSTtV
Microstream - http://goo.gl/OixCB

While not as versatile as the Fenix and Quark, they are solid and a great value. All retail below $30 I believe.

#222457 - 04/28/11 01:28 PM Re: nice flashlight option for a corporate environment [Re: Art_in_FL]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Depends on how much you value $50 plus $5 S&H. You can do as well for $20 less walking into your local big box store.

I've not seen any flashlights in a big box store in the same performance class for $20 less. Examples?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 547 Guests and 92 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.