Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#222256 - 04/25/11 12:00 PM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: JBMat]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Just watched Dave (off his rocker) Canterbury here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LFGE7rGUkA

Even Rambo when he fell out his tree, had more smarts... laugh

I would have to agree with you. It was stupid to begin with, got dumber, then passed into sheer moronic.

I guess thats why in most FAKs we have butterfly sutures, suture needles, thread or even super glue, field dressings, alcohol wipes and antibiotics or even heamostatic clotting agents such as Celox.

What could be interesting would be if someone decides to copy this 'hardcore' demonstration and instead of using black powder decides to bite the bullet of a 308 round and then begins to pour. crazy

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/25/11 12:04 PM)

#222259 - 04/25/11 12:51 PM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

The reality is that in 6000 years of recorded civilisation there are only a very few notable female names in that historical record.

Possibly that is because guys were in charge of writing said historical record. Bear in mind that the "historical record" is hardly an unbiased account of significant events - a whole lot of important stuff is neglected or minimized.

#222261 - 04/25/11 01:36 PM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: JBMat]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I just watched the full clip on the Discovery site here:

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/dual-survival-season-2-episode-3-videos

I didn't have sound so I may have missed something. I admit that my mind closed at the site of him voluntarily cutting himself. Doesn't seem like a wise choice to me, especially by guys that are supposed to be showing us what TO do.

When I get past that, I'm left wondering: given the resources they had available, what were the other options to close up/protect a wound like that?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#222264 - 04/25/11 01:52 PM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: JBMat]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I guess DC is just working off the Army axiom, Tell, Show, Do. Everyone does the Tell, DC just gave us the Show, I think I'll let a doctor Do after I have assessed my wound, tried to stop bleeding/fix break, then see if I can move myself before hitting the SOS function on my SPOT2.

Hey even Bear doesn't intentionally cut or harm himself, though both Bear and Les have done cold immersion for their shows.

#222265 - 04/25/11 01:57 PM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: JBMat]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Field-expedient cautery should be a last resort. Watching just the clip (thanks Jaclyn), they had plenty of bandage material and could easily have used one hand for direct pressure. This was grade-A foolishness and may very well end my interest in the show.

Quote:
given the resources they had available, what were the other options to close up/protect a wound like that?

Irrigate the wound thoroughly if enough clean water is available. Make a bandage out of a couple of cloth strips. Use direct pressure to stop the bleeding.

In the short term if you can stop the bleeding with direct pressure, hopefully you'll be rescued and get to definitive care before any potential infection lays you low. From what I saw, Dave wasn't bleeding very much.

#222271 - 04/25/11 04:02 PM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: JBMat]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: JBMat
Leigh - There's a fine line between hardcore and stupid.

If Dave was attempting to show us that cautery works and can be done with blackpowder, he's about 500 years late. Cautery has been used for centuries, it's an historical fact.

OK, I am out in the weeds, I cut myself, and I am bleeding. I am not going to cauterize the wound, I will use a dressing and direct pressure to stop the bleeding. Hell, I think I would use a tourniquet before cautery. Why inflict a second (and in Dave's case, a 3d) wound on the original?

I say again that Dave's stunt was for ratings. It was stupid to begin with, got dumber, then passed into sheer moronic. And no, I don't foe one second believe that he didn't get some first aid from the everpresent crew paramedic.

No arguments from me on that one smile
Mind you, it should bring home the point that you always carry a decent first aid kit.
One that includes the means to irrigate and sterilise the wound.

Edited by Leigh_Ratcliffe (04/25/11 04:13 PM)
Edit Reason: Added last line.

#222272 - 04/25/11 04:08 PM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Field-expedient cautery should be a last resort. Watching just the clip (thanks Jaclyn), they had plenty of bandage material and could easily have used one hand for direct pressure. This was grade-A foolishness and may very well end my interest in the show.

Quote:
given the resources they had available, what were the other options to close up/protect a wound like that?

Irrigate the wound thoroughly if enough clean water is available. Make a bandage out of a couple of cloth strips. Use direct pressure to stop the bleeding.

In the short term if you can stop the bleeding with direct pressure, hopefully you'll be rescued and get to definitive care before any potential infection lays you low. From what I saw, Dave wasn't bleeding very much.

Operative word there is "hope."
A small wound may prove to be as lethal as a major injury under those circumstances.

#222276 - 04/25/11 04:36 PM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"The reality is that in 6000 years of recorded civilisation there are only a very few notable female names in that historical record."

The women were supervising the jobs to get them right, and just used rough labor for the job: oxen and men.

As for cauterizing, why would some dolt use gunpowder when they could just heat up a piece of metal and use that?

The only real use for gunpowder cauterization is when your idiot BIL has an ear ache.

The more I hear about TV, the happier I am that I don't have it.

Sue

#222280 - 04/25/11 05:24 PM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

Operative word there is "hope."
A small wound may prove to be as lethal as a major injury under those circumstances.

True. However, I'd rather irrigate than cauterize for infection control. If irrigation isn't a viable option and rescue is likely within a few days, I'd only use cautery if that was the only way to stop the bleeding.

#222282 - 04/25/11 05:46 PM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In everything I have read or been taught about management of wounds in a wilderness setting, cauterization has never so much as been mentioned. But then those authors or instructors were not concerned with TV ratings.

It is one thing to produce a vivid, fast paced, entertaining show, and it is quite something else to promote distinctly bad practices.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.