Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#222226 - 04/24/11 05:37 PM Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker?
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Season premier of Dual Survival. Dave and Cody, lost in Tierra del Feugo. Scenario, black powder hunters, one with lacerated arm, lost in the weeds.

Dave proceeds to cut his own arm, I am talking a gash. Then Cody cauterizes it with gunpowder. Twice. "That's gonna leave a mark!"

Ok, harkening back to when Les pretended to have a broken arm, I think simulating an injury is fine. I think this crap, and that's what it was, tv audience getting crap, was over the top. What, the historical evidence of cautery is not enough? Give me a break.

I've lost all respect for these two bozos. Cody has excellent books, even he said he didn't endorse what Dave was going to do, but he let him do it. Inaction is failure to take action, epic fail.

Reckon I won't be wasting any time watching those two anymore.

#222227 - 04/24/11 05:51 PM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: JBMat]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I agree with you completely, and I have better ways to waste my time than watching these alleged survival shows.

#222228 - 04/24/11 07:40 PM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: JBMat]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sounds like Dave and Cody have been watching too many 'SAS Survival Skills' videos on the Youtube. wink

Episode 1 - Survival Stresses

Episode 2 - Hunting - Demonstration of the UK MOD classified SF hunting tractor beam. laugh

Episode 3 - Axe

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/24/11 07:44 PM)

#222230 - 04/24/11 10:06 PM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: JBMat]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Wow! I haven't seen that one yet and I'm not sure I want to now. Sounds like a dumb "look how tough I am" stunt and that's not why I watch. They often agree to disagree, and I can respect that most of time, but they usually show sound survival strategies and decisions.

This sounds like a stupid human trick. Dave's always been the question mark in that show for me. He seems bound and determined to show the polar opposite of Cody's "bush hippie crap."

Edited by bacpacjac (04/24/11 10:21 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#222231 - 04/24/11 10:16 PM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: JBMat]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Unfortunately manliness, ruggedness, and bravery are most commonly associated with stupidity. It doesn't have to be that way IMO, but this is how it is.

#222249 - 04/25/11 02:09 AM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Now Art, that is a pretty general statement. What do you mean by those terms? If manliness equals what I call machismo, bravery is the equivalent of bravado, and ruggedness is insensitivity, I would tend to agree with you.

However, I was just reading about the conclusion of a week long search at Grand Teton NP for two missing ski tourers. They located a signal from their avalanche beacons Saturday night and spend today digging down to their bodies and completing the extrication. I am not acquainted with the specifics, but there was certainly an element of risk in this operation.

A hell of a way to spend Easter, in any event.

Incidentally, evidently the helicopter pilot in this operation was female. Manliness and bravery are not limited to males. There is good clinical evidence that women can stand pain better men. The only parameter in which guys excel is heavy lifting.

#222250 - 04/25/11 04:54 AM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: hikermor]
inkslngr Offline
Journeyman

Loc: AZ
The only parameter in which guys excel is heavy lifting.

and breakin' stuff

#222253 - 04/25/11 10:18 AM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: JBMat]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
No, D.C is making a point: Which is that you can choose to take the pain and live. Or refuse and die.

It's easy just to tell people. Actually being prepared to demonstrate takes a lot more commitment.

#222254 - 04/25/11 11:35 AM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: hikermor]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
The only parameter in which guys excel is heavy lifting.

This is very true, although guys can also urinate whilst standing up.

Heavy lifting does form the basis of advanced civilisations.

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=222187

I can't imagine that there were any girls in charge whilst the boys were chiseling out this obelisk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unfinished_obelisk

Yes I know that the boys ended up breaking this one but as they say you can't make an omelet without breaking eggs. wink

The reality is that in 6000 years of recorded civilisation there are only a very few notable female names in that historical record.

#222255 - 04/25/11 11:36 AM Re: Is it me, or is Dave off his rocker? [Re: JBMat]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Leigh - There's a fine line between hardcore and stupid.

If Dave was attempting to show us that cautery works and can be done with blackpowder, he's about 500 years late. Cautery has been used for centuries, it's an historical fact.

OK, I am out in the weeds, I cut myself, and I am bleeding. I am not going to cauterize the wound, I will use a dressing and direct pressure to stop the bleeding. Hell, I think I would use a tourniquet before cautery. Why inflict a second (and in Dave's case, a 3d) wound on the original?

I say again that Dave's stunt was for ratings. It was stupid to begin with, got dumber, then passed into sheer moronic. And no, I don't for one second believe that he didn't get some first aid from the everpresent crew paramedic.

Edited by JBMat (04/25/11 04:30 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 278 Guests and 68 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.