Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#22219 - 12/02/03 05:53 PM road flares: incendiary or electronic?
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

A recent thread mentioned the use of road flares. This Thanksgiving during the drive to my mom's place, there was a long curve in the road on interstate 40 in Tennessee. Early in the curve were some incendiary road flares that really got my attention. I realized something was up and, sure enough, on the other side of the blind curve was a highway patrolman helping a stuck motorist.

This was in broad daylight and the flares worked really well to warn oncoming traffic. It got me thinking about putting some flares in my trunk.

I've done some net research and there are offerings of electronic/LED flares. What is the opinion of this board's professional rescue people on flares? Stay with the incendiary types, or are there some electronic models that are worth a darn? For incendiaries, are the commercial grade models that much better than "consumer" models? Thanks.

#22220 - 12/02/03 06:30 PM Re: road flares: incendiary or electronic?
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
For general purposes, I would stick to the incendiary types for three reasons:

1) Unless you plan on using them on a regular bases and rotate the batteries or store them with lithium batteries, chances are when you need them the device the most, the batteries will be dead or may have leaked out, damaging the light.

2) Since most of the electronic versions are dependent upon the ability to send out a “flash” to get your attention, I think that unless it is using a strong strobe, during daylight hours it will be essentially “washed” out. This would especially true of LED versions, which would be better seen during evening hours.

3) Cost and disposability; I would suspect that any of the electronic versions that are worth anything, are high-end devices. If they become damaged or lost, you could be out of some serious cash. The incendiary flares are relatively cheap and are intended to be disposable. They also have the potential of being used to start a fire in adverse weather conditions.

I am sure there are other opinions out there, just my 2 cents. Pete

#22221 - 12/02/03 08:42 PM Re: road flares: incendiary or electronic?
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
One more comment...having laid a jillion flare patters in my career, I am here to tell you that drivers WILL run over at least some of your flares. If they are expensive re-usable electronic types, you just lost them for good...with the normal burning flares, remember to look for puddles of gas before you light one, and watch for wind, dry grass, etc...and remember, most drivers are driving HUA, so you've gotta start a flare pattern way way way down the road to give them time to see, think, and react...

#22222 - 12/02/03 08:56 PM Re: road flares: incendiary or electronic?
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Great info, gentlemen. I appreciate it. Any recommendations on a brand of flare, or does it matter?

#22223 - 12/02/03 09:59 PM Re: road flares: incendiary or electronic?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My only recommendation on flares is to find one with the metal wire stand. Avoid the cardboard stand, as they are useless when wet. Also, try to avoid flares with the spike on the bottom.... Not particularly useful.

Most emergency types prefer a 30 minute flare over a 20 minute one.

#22224 - 12/03/03 03:57 AM Re: road flares: incendiary or electronic?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am not responding as a professional, but having put out many flare patterns in the past, I have to agree with the OBG.
Drivers will run over flares for a number of reasons, none of them good. Electronic flares will be wasted.
My experience has been that the wire stand are the best, particularly if you are in an area that gets snow, the wire keeps them above the level of the snow, for the most part.
The plastic cap anti-roll flares are popular here in Southern California, at least they are in most of the stores.
Also agree that the spikes are not good. I have not purchased some in a while, but when I did, I looked for the wax coated flares, as this seems to keep the sulfur/compound from picking up moisture in your trunk, etc.

The CHP will most often replace any flares you use, and then some. It is even written in the CADMV code that they are allowed to replace flares if the person setting them out was not involved in the incident/accident.

Some of the CHP guys will be hard nosed and say they can not replace them, but most understand that you stopped to help and in doing so, probably prevented a bad situation from getting worse. This is one of the reasons most LEOs will be glad to give you 10 for the 6 you put out.

Sorry if my answer is more than you expected, but this is a strong topic for me.

#22225 - 12/03/03 04:00 AM Re: road flares: incendiary or electronic?
Anonymous
Unregistered

One additional bit of advice I received from a NYS Trooper was that you light the first flare, set it down and light the next one from it and carry it with you and repeat the process. You do not want to be walking in or along side a road at night without a lit flare in your hands to warn people as to where you are.

FWIW

#22226 - 12/03/03 03:13 PM Re: road flares: incendiary or electronic?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Go with the incendiary ones every time - they last practically forever, even when not stored in ideal conditions, i.e., rolling around in your trunk, and they WILL function reliably when it is really cold or snowing or nasty, whereas the electronic ones may not, especially in sub-zero weather.
I would second the motion of getting the first flare lit and then using it to light the rest of the flares, much easier than whacking away at the igniter cap over and over. But, I have also learned to keep a lighter in the glove box as a backup ignition source.

#22227 - 12/03/03 03:24 PM Re: road flares: incendiary or electronic?
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Also if you are low on flares you can cut them in half (reduces time) and light them up from one another.

#22228 - 12/03/03 03:34 PM Re: road flares: incendiary or electronic?
Anonymous
Unregistered

In really cold conditions the lighter in your pocket will work and the one in the glove-box won't. If it is too cold the butane will not vaporize and come out to burn. Zippo's are more reliable in this regard but the zippo in the glove box will be out of fuel due to evaporation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 492 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.