The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#221581 - 04/14/11 09:49 PM Re: Stainless water bottles and kit [Re: jenks]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Very creative solution Regulator! I wrap My bottle kits in duct tape but never thought sticking gear in the middle.

I think I prefer hikermor's idea but I will give yours a try. Anything to make life easier for the people I make them for.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#221603 - 04/15/11 05:48 AM Re: Stainless water bottles and kit [Re: bacpacjac]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Add a loop of line to the neck of your bottle, possibly with a clip on the end. That way you can hang the water bottle from anywhere on your clothes or your pack. Moving the bottle from your water bottle pouch, backpack or whatever will free up valuable space for other things, including tinder or firewood that you find on your way.

The bottle is easier to access (= more frequent sips), which is good, but will dangle, which may or may not bother you.

I wouldn't put duct tape on a steel bottle if you plan to boil in it. You then either just let the duct tape burn/melt or you remove it. Unrolling duct tape is a hassle and could possibly render it useless if you're not careful to roll it onto something else. The last thing I need in a I-should-boil-water scenario is the mental barrier of removing and possibly destroing my precious duct tape, which is a resource I'd want to keep. Obviously, if you go the bottle-in-a-pot route this isn't a concern.

#221611 - 04/15/11 11:09 AM Re: Stainless water bottles and kit [Re: jenks]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Great points Harmless!

Having a harness for your water bottle is a great idea. You don't have to use it but it will free up more space in your pack. It also makes the water more accessible and serves as a good reminder to drink it. I like a set up with a shoulder and waist strap. It helps minimize the banging around. You can always use adjustable buckles/knots so you can loosen or tighten at will.

Good point about the duct tape on the bottle too. It would be inconvenient, and possibly demoralizing, to have to take it off to boil water. It is a good option if you've got another primary boiling vessel.

#221626 - 04/15/11 01:34 PM Re: Stainless water bottles and kit [Re: jenks]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I Wrapped my SS bottle in a dollar store ace bandage as a temperature barrier.

#222198 - 04/23/11 02:01 PM Re: Stainless water bottles and kit [Re: jenks]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Dave Canterbury made char cloth in a kleen canteen on Dual Survival this week. As a result, I'm re-thinking my stainless steel drinking bottles and working on changing them all out for wider mouth versions.

#222203 - 04/23/11 05:42 PM Re: Stainless water bottles and kit [Re: jenks]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I picked up a couple those today actually, Izzy. Very nice!

#222211 - 04/24/11 01:55 AM Re: Stainless water bottles and kit [Re: bacpacjac]
jenks Offline

Hey Jacqui:

Where did you get them? Are they the Nalgene labelled ones? Have you tried them with the old school caps?

Can you post a link?

Glad to see this thread has a little more life in it.

And as much as i agree that water is often the most precious thing you can put in a water bottle, here in the PNW i'm more likely to die from too much water than not enough.

I thought the standard size and shape (60 cubic inches) would be an interesting challenge to see who could come up with the best kit.

I think it's a handy size to throw behind a truck seat or to try to build something up for a give away.

Going back to the concept of cheap starter kits, our community has it' own (very) little carnival in the summer and i was thinking about trying to put a couple kits together cheaply (with intructions inside on how to improve and prepare)and have them as prizes along side the jars of homemade jams and pies.

jenks

#222221 - 04/24/11 10:12 AM Re: Stainless water bottles and kit [Re: jenks]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Jenks, I went shopping for some odds and ends for a Scout craft and found the water bottles in Value Village, the second-hand store. One has a leak at the lid but the other seems ok. They're pretty scratched up but for two bucks, it's a score. (I picked up a nice metal/insulated personal bodum while I was there too!)

I totally agree about the practicality of water bottle kits. We've always got one in the vehicles and they make great gifts. (My BFF disassembled hers to get to the corkscrew on the SAK I included in the one I made her after she moved to a slightly twister-prone area.)

Awesome idea to give some away at the community fair. Might even help raise awareness in the non-winners.

#222705 - 05/02/11 02:49 PM Re: Stainless water bottles and kit [Re: jenks]
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada
Why not buy the stainless steel cup that a 1L nalgene bottle fits in then you can have your cup an bottle too.
cheers

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 236 Guests and 137 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
Yesterday at 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.