Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#220359 - 03/28/11 03:07 AM Re: YOUR SKIRT IS TOO TIGHT!!!! [Re: jzmtl]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Yeah that's the problem, I need everything to fit inside the pot...
Have you considered rolling the windscreen extension and placing it up against the walls of the pot? It can be rolled a bit tighter for storage and then loosened up for use.

HJ

#220393 - 03/28/11 05:29 PM Re: YOUR SKIRT IS TOO TIGHT!!!! [Re: jzmtl]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
I suppose that'll work too, even though I tried to make this set up self contained. But since I don't need a full height screen, I want to figure out something that will attach to the Primus screen and only cover the gap. Still working on it.

Also looking into the possibility of switching the stove to Gigapower or crux, which seem to have a lower burner height and may work better without addition of screen.

#220417 - 03/28/11 10:17 PM Re:Some testing of heat exchanger pot (eta power) [Re: jzmtl]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
One thing I don't like about the Gigapower is lack of any real grip on the arms as compared to the Pocket Rocket. Pots do slip more easily off the Gigapower and nothing worse then seeing your dinner kiss the dirt if you are not real careful. I have seen this more then once with these stoves. Admittedly, it can happen with any stove though...

Also the height of the arms on the Gigapower are not much lower then the Pocket Rocket and I would surprised if it really would make any appreciable difference in cook/boil time to warrant the re-purchase of another stove. The Gigapower currently sells at MEC for $43.00. For that price, you can purchase 7 cannisters of Isopro for the Pocket Rocket and have hours of fuel burn time that would be very tough to beat, investment wise of only probable mere seconds of theoretical (and untested) extra burn time by the concept of the lower height arms on the Gigapower.

John Lubbock

#220420 - 03/28/11 10:38 PM Re:Some testing of heat exchanger pot (eta power) [Re: jzmtl]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I have both the Pocket Rocket and the Giga Power GST-100. The GST-100 is definitely more compact. I'm not sure that the power is sufficiently greater to make a meaningful difference over the Pocket Rocket.

The Pocket Rocket's pot stands are far more easy to bend. The Giga Power is a lot more solid. Is the GST-100 sufficiently better that the increase in price justified? That's a judgment call for each individual to make.

Regarding the GST-100's pot supports being slippery, a simple file can take care of that. Rough 'em up a bit. It does help.

HJ

#220423 - 03/28/11 11:09 PM Re:Some testing of heat exchanger pot (eta power) [Re: jzmtl]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

That's interesting regard the pot support, I just read another thread (on another forum) where people were complaining that pocket rocket's supports are slippery, and gigapower's support is better.

#220425 - 03/28/11 11:16 PM Re:Some testing of heat exchanger pot (eta power) [Re: jzmtl]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have been using a PR for over ten years - basically it has become my main, "go to" stove. I have not had any problem with alleged slippery supports. If you ask me there is a lot of nit-picking out there.

#220426 - 03/28/11 11:20 PM Re:Some testing of heat exchanger pot (eta power) [Re: jzmtl]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

That's interesting regard the pot support, I just read another thread (on another forum) where people were complaining that pocket rocket's supports are slippery, and gigapower's support is better.

I see a Mythbusters style of testing in the near future. Right Jim? (I nominate him as he has both types of stoves!)

John Lubbock

#220435 - 03/28/11 11:56 PM Re:Some testing of heat exchanger pot (eta power) [Re: Teslinhiker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

I see a Mythbusters style of testing in the near future. Right Jim? (I nominate him as he has both types of stoves!)
Well, maybe, if I can get the time. And what's the objective testing protocol? Perhaps angle of slope? But I've got something coming up that takes precedence over pot support "slipperyness" testing.

My next gas project is to try to prove or disprove that the Soto Micro-regulator stove (OD-1R) has an advantage over conventional needle valved-stoves (Pocket Rocket, GST-100, etc.). That's going to take some planning and prep. God only knows what I'll find out, although I have my suspicions.

HJ

#220438 - 03/29/11 12:05 AM Re:Some testing of heat exchanger pot (eta power) [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

The Soto is bit pricey for a cannister stove and I don't know anyone who has one...which is uncommon in this area. For the cost (around $70.00) you would think that a better investment would be to purchase the Whisperlite for nearly the same price ($72.00 here.)

Anyway, looking forward to the comparison project.

John Lubbock

#220443 - 03/29/11 12:38 AM Re:Some testing of heat exchanger pot (eta power) [Re: jzmtl]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Yeah eh? $70 is a bit too much for what I'd spend on a canister stove.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 518 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.