Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#22089 - 11/29/03 07:05 PM Keeping an edge
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am always looking for the best way to keep an edge on my various blades, from those in the kitchen to those I have for camping, etc.
I have tried 14" stones, electric wheels, ceramic bars, etc. The most effective (read easiest to use for the fastest results) have been one by Fiskars and a new one, for me, by Smith's.

The Fiskars unit is ideal for camping, etc, as it is small, held between the thumb and forefinger and the knife is pulled through the sharpening area. This unit is about 3/8" thick and perhaps 2" square. There is a course side and a fine side; the sharpening done by small ceramic rods. Unfortunatley, two of the bars are now broken and I can not find a replacement at the Fiskars web site.
Small size, great results, I highly recommend it.

I just purchased the Smith's, a handheld bar based on diamond dust(?), $20 at REI.
I am impressed with how quickly you can put an edge on a knife with this, it is fast and easy to use.

Putting a fine edge on a good knife should take time and be done prior to the need.
Both of these sharpners are fine for use at home or in the field.

#22090 - 11/30/03 01:57 AM Re: Keeping an edge
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Skater,

Target and Wal-mart both have fiskars or similar models here. While these are great for topping off a good edge, something a little more aggressive is needed to develop that edge. The best thing I've found so far, is a good set of diamond lap sharpeners, which in the extra-fine grit are super at touch-ups also, but the Fiskars peice is nice to have "in yer pockit".
Troy

#22091 - 11/30/03 02:20 AM Re: Keeping an edge
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the input Troy.
I will check out the local Target to see if they have one.
I agree about the more agressive start, but for cleaning up the edge and touching up, it is great.

Thanks again.

#22092 - 11/30/03 05:49 AM Re: Keeping an edge
bountyhunter Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
I bought something similar to what you describe with only one pair of ceramic rods at the local K-mart in the fishing section for about $2.00. I would only use it for touching up as I have a two-sided stone in a black plastic container from REI that I received as a gift quite a few years ago. I am a big fan of quality carbon steel blades despite the fact of tarnish and rust. I have an old Craftsman hunting knife that I bought some 38 years ago with a compressed leather handle and I can always put a mean edge on it. A couple years ago I bought a Kalisnakov bayonet made in Hungary that has a carbon steel blade, electrically insulated sheath and knife handle. The knife can be pivoted with the metal sheath for wire cutting. I do not own any military style rifles but I bought the bayonet primarily because it had the carbon steel blade and metal sheath. The wire cutter feature is just an added bonus.

Bountyhunter

#22093 - 11/30/03 07:04 AM Re: Keeping an edge
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the input. I was unable to find the Fiskars at Target, so I am still looking.

#22094 - 12/01/03 03:38 AM Re: Keeping an edge
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did find a replacement for the Fiskars sharpener.
The exact same piece is now sold by Gerber and called a pocket sharpener.
Small, compact and good results. The web site says about $4.95.

#22095 - 12/02/03 12:00 AM Re: Keeping an edge
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Skater
If you didn't know,Gerbers is owned by Fiskars
BOATMAN

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 499 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.