Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#221000 - 04/06/11 01:49 PM Re: Of Dogs and Guns... [Re: bacpacjac]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
NightHiker, I agree that it's easy and polite to just ignore something that you disagree with or aren't interested in. The problem I had with that thread was that it insulted those who disagreed and it called Doug a hypocrite for not having a permanent pro-gun flag waving all over ETS. Being disrespectful of each other is not the ETS way.

bacpacjac - You have a short memory. It was you who hijacked the thread. The thread insulted no one. You insulted the originator. You contributed nothing. Your comment about Doug is false. No one called him a hypocrite for not having a permanent pro-gun flag waving all over ETS. That is your interpretation. The inference was that Doug and Blast are intolerant of any topic that involves the discussion of firearms on a survival list. Not all of us live in Canada or LA but we do have opinions.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#221008 - 04/06/11 02:30 PM Re: Of Dogs and Guns... [Re: Blast]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Apologies if this is hijacking the thread, but I've been personally questioned here so it seems fitting.

Ponder, I never even commented on the nuked thread. You're right that I didn't add anything to it. In fact, after reading it and finding it a bit insulting to be called a "sheep" because I don't own a gun, I ignored it.

I have commented on the "What's wrong with FEMA's list" thread. I gave a counter argument as to why I thought guns shouldn't be included in FEMA's list, and I'm not the only one who did so. I never once said I was anti-gun (in fact, I clarified that I'm not) or criticized anyone for being pro-gun. Not sure how that's hijacking, and I don't believe I was derogatory to anyone else, but if hurt your feelings by disagreeing with you I apologize.

You're right that the nuked thread didn't call Doug a hypocrite. That comment is in the "What's wrong with FEMA's list" thread and it says "contradictory" not hypocritical. My apologies for not being clear.

BTW - I also think the fact the Blast didn't nuke the "What's wrong with FEMA's list" thread is proof that ETS is tolerant of discussing firearms as long as we do it respectfully.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#221009 - 04/06/11 02:34 PM Re: Of Dogs and Guns... [Re: Blast]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Hey Sheriff,How's that cat coming along?:)

#221031 - 04/06/11 10:37 PM Re: Of Dogs and Guns... [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Let me explain something about the guiding principle of ETS. We want to help people live. More specifically, we want to help those people prepare who had never before had given much thought to being prepared. There are tons of hard-core TEOTWAWKI survivalist sites out there filled with all sorts of disaster fantasies. Those sites quickly scare way Joe and Jane Average who are just starting to think about being prepared but don't want to be a "nutter" about it.

Preparedness is becoming more mainstream but the majority of people still think most of us are tinfoil hat wearing MRE eating gun hording government fearing bunker dwellers. ETS wants to ease people into the idea that taking care of themselves and their family is something they CAN do, that it isn't some overwhelming, impossible task.

Guns have a role in survival. I carry daily. But to the newly-awakened person trying to learn how to prepare, being called a sheep just drives them away. Like I said at the beginning, our goal is to improve people's preparedness. That's mighty hard to do if they are insulted and drove away.

There are plenty of other sites to discuss the role of guns in survival. You can find me over on Zombie Squad doing that a lot. It's even possible to do it here as long as it is done without insults or attitudes.

Love to you all,
-Blast (a tinfoil hat wearing MRE eating (except the clam chowder one) gun hording government fearing bunker dweller)

Edited by Blast (04/06/11 10:39 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#221033 - 04/06/11 11:03 PM Re: Of Dogs and Guns... and MRE's [Re: Blast]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
smile MRE's -- there are so many better things to eat -- that said, I have a case but I'd just as soon stock something more palatable. cool

#221046 - 04/07/11 12:56 AM Re: Of Dogs and Guns... [Re: Blast]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Blast
Guns have a role in survival. I carry daily. But to the newly-awakened person trying to learn how to prepare, being called a sheep just drives them away. Like I said at the beginning, our goal is to improve people's preparedness. That's mighty hard to do if they are insulted and drove away.

There are plenty of other sites to discuss the role of guns in survival. You can find me over on Zombie Squad doing that a lot. It's even possible to do it here as long as it is done without insults or attitudes.

Thank you for the clear guidance.

#221050 - 04/07/11 01:05 AM Re: Of Dogs and Guns... [Re: Blast]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Just wanted to say "Thank you Blast!".

You do a great job of enforcing the rules with a friendly spirit and levity that (IMO) most of us would find hard to manage.

#221052 - 04/07/11 01:14 AM Re: Of Dogs and Guns... [Re: Blast]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Thank you Sheriff Blast.

You make a difficult task seem easy and are much appreciated.

-Eric

#221054 - 04/07/11 01:22 AM Re: Of Dogs and Guns... [Re: Blast]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: Blast
being called a sheep just drives them away. Like I said at the beginning, our goal is to improve people's preparedness. That's mighty hard to do if they are insulted and drove away.

I understand the analogy but have never liked the general application of the term sheep, especially when it gets associated with carry status. I was always told to never judge a book by its cover and I would suggest the same consideration applies to carry status.

To borrow a phrase from a favorite author "There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men". People like this are never "sheep" no matter what their personal choices about firearms are. Generalizations can lead to sloppy thinking and sometimes critical mistakes.

-Eric

#221074 - 04/07/11 10:25 AM Re: Of Dogs and Guns... [Re: Blast]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Darn, I missed it!

I always enjoy a good thread-rumble.

Remember folks, guns don't kill people... bullets (or bayonets) do.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 279 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.