Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#122553 - 02/04/08 04:48 AM Re: anyone taken med to reduce cholesterol? [Re: MDinana]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

I don't understand the US measurement units for cholesterol. Canada uses millimole unit as measurement scale.

Why is the cholesterol measurement unit appear really high?

#122610 - 02/04/08 09:13 PM Re: anyone taken med to reduce cholesterol? [Re: picard120]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
The U.S. medical community uses a "total" cholesterol number, and then splits it between "good cholesterol" (high density lipids, or HDL), "bad cholesterol" (low density lipids, or LDL), and some other things like triglyceride count. We are told we should try to get to a total number of under 200 and an HDL number of at least 45.

Cholesterol levels are one of several factors which affect our likelihood of having certain kinds of heart disease. High cholesterol, especially high LDL and low HDL, is associated with arteriosclerosis. High cholesterol can be caused by both diet and heredity. Sometimes reducing fat and cholesterol-laden foods (i.e., egg yolks) isn't enough, because the ol' liver just keeps pumping cholesterol into the bloodstream. Statin drugs and similar treatments essentially tell the liver to knock it off. Unfortunately, this can put a strain on the liver and cause damage, although this is relatively rare. A small but significant minority of people cannot tolerate statin drugs, and experience side effects including muscle pain and weakness and should NOT take Lipitor, etc.

I control my cholesterol with a combination of diet (well, I try, anyway), exercise (yeah, right) and three non-prescription dietary supplements: niacin, pantethine and phytosterols.

Information on all is available in a book entitled The New 8 Week Cholesterol Cure by Robert Kowalski. The book and the products I mentioned above are available from Endurance Products Company.

I've had good results (overall number of 265 brought down to 190) and no side effects. However, and I can't stress this enough, you absolutely need to have your doctor involved in your decision on what approach to take to your cholesterol issues. What works for one can be dangerous to another. High cholesterol has virtually no noticeable symptoms prior to a cardiac event. CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR.

#122718 - 02/05/08 10:52 PM Re: anyone taken med to reduce cholesterol? [Re: Frank2135]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
The U.S. use milligram per deciliter I believe: mg/dl

#122796 - 02/06/08 02:38 PM Re: anyone taken med to reduce cholesterol? [Re: picard120]
Jackpine_Savage Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Minnesota
What my doctor recomended was taking two tablespoons of ground flax seed daily. It lowered my cholesterol from 211 to 180 (US measurement) and well into the healthy zone. I mix it with juice and drink it.

#122908 - 02/07/08 10:01 AM Re: anyone taken med to reduce cholesterol? [Re: picard120]
hazeywolf Offline

Red Yeast Rice Extract (w/C0Q-10/milk-thistle extract), Flax-Seed Oil, liquid mutli-vitamins, steel-cut oatmeal, and exercise.

I take other supplements too, but the CO-Q10 and milk-thistle are complimentary/protective to effects of Red Yeast Rice Extract, which contains lovastatin.

Edited by hazeywolf (02/07/08 10:04 AM)

#220469 - 03/29/11 04:59 AM Re: anyone taken med to reduce cholesterol? [Re: picard120]
steve11 Offline
Stranger

Hello, i am taking lipitor medicine to lowering my cholesterol level as my doctor prescribed me and its a wonderful medicine with no side effects. I am consuming 1 tablet daily and it is very effective my cholesterol level now are controlled. You can try this medicine even it is easily available online on many pharmacies sites.

#220557 - 03/30/11 12:56 AM Re: anyone taken med to reduce cholesterol? [Re: steve11]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Welcome to the fire Steve11. How about a quick introductory post?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#220829 - 04/04/11 05:20 AM Re: anyone taken med to reduce cholesterol? [Re: Blast]
steve11 Offline
Stranger

Hi everyone, i am steve and working in an IT industry. And i am here because i had the same cholesterol problem but after consuming medicine my cholesterol level now in control and i am only giving advice to take lipitor to reduce cholesterol as my doctor prescribed me. But firstly you must discuss it with your doctor. You can buy lipitor easily through online pharmacy or any medical store.

#220836 - 04/04/11 03:07 PM Re: anyone taken med to reduce cholesterol? [Re: steve11]
ajax Offline

Originally Posted By: steve11
Hi everyone, i am steve and working in an IT industry. And i am here because i had the same cholesterol problem but after consuming medicine my cholesterol level now in control and i am only giving advice to take lipitor to reduce cholesterol as my doctor prescribed me. But firstly you must discuss it with your doctor. You can buy lipitor easily through online pharmacy or any medical store.

Well...I guess that's kind of what Blast meant.

#220837 - 04/04/11 03:26 PM Re: anyone taken med to reduce cholesterol? [Re: steve11]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: steve11

Let's see, your registration email is pharmacy_online@ymail.com

I'm thinking this is just SPAM! Say goodbye Steve11....
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 600 Guests and 157 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.