Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#22075 - 11/28/03 11:00 PM survival firearm, semi-auto or bolt-action?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chris had a semiauto .22 rifle, would a semiauto be the best pick in a survival situation?

Edited by marcus_who (11/28/03 11:02 PM)

#22076 - 11/29/03 12:02 AM Re: survival firearm, semi-auto or bolt-action?
bountyhunter Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
If I could have only one gun, it would be a .22 semi-auto magazine fed rifle with low power optics, (5) magazines of (10) rounds or less, and a heavy barre.l

If I took a pistol and rifle, it would be the Ruger Government model.22 semi-auto pistol with the 5-3/4" bull barrel, low power optics, (5) magazines, a solid leather holster with a flap style cover, and a laynard attachment, a bolt action .22 rifle with (5) magazines, sling, heavy barrel, low power optics, and a heavy leather or plastic case.

Naturally, I would keep the iron sights just in case something happened to the optics (non-electric)
Bountyhunter

#22077 - 11/29/03 12:21 AM Re: survival firearm, semi-auto or bolt-action?
toke49 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Central Virginia, U.S.A.
I am currently looking at a Romanian 22 training rifle. Manufactured circa 1973 I have read that these are very basic and reliable rifle although a little on the heavy side w a full wood stock. It is a bolt action and uses a 5 shot clip. Any comments welcome!

#22078 - 11/29/03 12:29 AM Re: survival firearm, semi-auto or bolt-action?
bountyhunter Offline

toke49:

I looked at them too and was turned off by machine finishing quality and wood quality. When I asked about extra magazines, the store I went to said they couldn't get any.

Personally, I would stay with the American stuff in the sporting field, but serious competition rifles seem to come mainly from overseas.

Love my Mossberg, but they don't make them anymore.

Bountyhunter

#22079 - 11/29/03 02:16 AM Re: survival firearm, semi-auto or bolt-action?
indoorsman Offline
journeyman

Loc: Ohio
I would be apt to go with a bolt action. Simpler; easier to maintain out in the field; less finicky about dirt and ammunition quality; and generally a little more accurate.

#22080 - 11/29/03 05:14 PM Re: survival firearm, semi-auto or bolt-action?
bountyhunter Offline

If limited to a one firearm choice, the reason I personally pick a semi-auto .22 is an experience I had archery deer hunting many years ago.

You don't see much written about one of the most dangerous animals that run in packs as you do about the really large animals that can turn on humans. The ferral dog individually and especially in packs should be considered more dangerous because they exist in a wider section of this country.

I was in the Nicolet State forest hunting alone with my Shakespere #50 recurve bow when it started getting dark. I unstrung my bow and headed to my car without having sighted anything. While walking to my car through the woods, I heard movements about me and barking and yelps which were consistant with dogs. I never saw anything, but I also had a small game license and was carrying a Beretta Jaguar (This was one of the most inaccurate .22 pistols I have ever owned.) .22 semi-auto pistol with a 4" barrel and two (7) shot magazines loaded with hollow point bullets. I had heard of ferral dogs and what they were capable of, but mostly in the warm climate states, not Wisconsin. I drew the pistol, locked & loaded and continued to my car with the flashlight and bow in the left hand, and the pistol in the right hand. I was now in full violation of hunting laws of the State of Wisconsin with a flashlight and a loaded weapon in my hands after hunting hours. I made it to my car still not having seen anything and slightly dizzy from having constantly turned to check my sides and back. Once in the car with the gun and flashlight, I finally felt safe enough to shake and feel queasy.

So you see, because of that, if I am going into the woods, and if I feel a firearm is necessary, and if it is going to be only one firearm, it is going to be a semi-auto .22 rifle with (5) loaded magazines of (10) rounds or less.

Bountyhunter

#22081 - 11/29/03 05:23 PM Re: survival firearm, semi-auto or bolt-action?
Anonymous
Unregistered

With out a doubt, I have to agree with Bountyhunter about the bolt action Mossburg. I have an old (It was my Father's, it's older than I am) bolt action Mossburg w/ 4x scope that is THE most acurate gun Iv'e ever fired under 100 yards, bar none. For longer ranges, my 270 W/ 4-12x scope does nicely. If the Mossburg were going to be my primary hunting/foraging/survival piece though, My pistol would be, NO DOUBT, my 1911 .45. I can hit what I shoot at with it, have practiced a quick-change on the magazine, and am MUCH more confident of it's down-range effect than ANY 9 MM out there. For close in sh*t hit the fan moments, nothing beats Old John's Hog Leg, accept maybe a good 12 guage.

#22082 - 11/29/03 08:54 PM Re: survival firearm, semi-auto or bolt-action?
bountyhunter Offline

wildcard163:

I bought a brand new Springfield 1911 A1 a few years ago, having sold my surplus Singer made .45. I like the gun, I like the cartridge, and in an human jungle environment, it is the sidearm of choice. However, I don't see myself getting involved in "shoot them ups" with rogue humans so my primary concern is ability to procure food and dissuade large animals or packs of small animals from feeding on me. The .45, my .38 Taurus 3" snubby, my .22 Jennings pocket pistol, and my High Standard .22 magnum Mark IV with the 4" barrel stay home. My Ruger comes with me, and I would like to add a heavy barrel .22 rifle to come with me. The Savage I bought was purchased because it has a milled steel receiver instead of the investment casting so many other manufacturers are using and it is cute as the dickenings. I still haven't taken it to the firing range, but I did buy a 4X32 scope for it. I would have preferred a 1X or 2X, but they cost a whole lot more than the 4X.

Bountyhunter

#22083 - 11/30/03 02:06 AM Re: survival firearm, semi-auto or bolt-action?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry to have mis-read your intent, bountyhunter.
I guess for a trap line or back yard (if you've got a really BIG back yard) walk, the .22 makes sense. My line of thought was that the .22 pistol couldn't do any thing that the rifle couldn't do better, so why not cover the unexpected with the .45. Have a great week-end (what's left of it).
Troy

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 291 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.