Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#220496 - 03/29/11 04:08 PM Tough cell phone recommendations
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

I need some cell phone recommendations. I want a tough phone with some water resistance with good battery life. Backing up a little I had a Sanyo 7050 when I was with Quest and loved the phone. When Quest stopped their cell coverage in my area I went with Verizon and got sold a couple of Moto phones through Costco and they just have awful battery life and the one I carry is banged up pretty bad from daily pocket carry. With my 2 year contract with Verizon coming up in a few months, I’m trying to get some phone recommendations, as there are three carriers that seem to have about equal coverage in my area. I’ve never used the camera on the current phone but I guess it could come in handy to document a car accident or whatever. But certainly don’t need one with a camera that would drain a lot of battery. So a good tough basic phone is what I’m after and I like the flip phone style.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

#220497 - 03/29/11 04:23 PM Re: Tough cell phone recommendations [Re: rebwa]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

How about the Samsung B2100 solid extreme

For 3G connectivity there is also the Samsung B2710

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HXNZmIJ5VA

Maplin also does a solar powered mobile phone rated to IP67 in the UK.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/rugged-solar-powered-mobile-phone-509386?c=froogle&u=509386&t=module

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (03/29/11 04:44 PM)

#220498 - 03/29/11 04:29 PM Re: Tough cell phone recommendations [Re: rebwa]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I'd rather go for a candy-bar style with exposed (not sliding) keyboard for a survival type phone. You can put it in a zip-lock bag and make it waterproof but usable instantly as the need arises. Also they might have dozens of dedicated protective cases or skins available on the market, which you can wear on the phone permanently. No doubt the candy bar is more reliable just by design (no moving parts to break), and the battery is often of a larger capacity in them. Regarding the carriers, Verizon - is still the best in the coverage department (on the West side at least).

Just my 2c.

#220504 - 03/29/11 05:41 PM Re: Tough cell phone recommendations [Re: Alex]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Here's a couple of constructive suggestions. And i really need to get these items myself.

1. If you go down to any major outdoors retailer, you can find small waterproof bags and containers that are designed to hold cell phones or GPS units. Great idea! Not only does it guarantee that your phone is now waterproof and less prone to mechanical damage, but it also makies it harder to lose in an emergency. Cell phones are easily misplaced.

2. I just noticed a really cool idea in an REI outdoors store. They have a section related to "green technology" now. Someone has got a roll-up solar panel that looks like a small blanket. It's not big - maybe 2 feet x 3 feet. hat panel can generate enough electricity to re-charge your phone, so long as you have good strong sunlight. That's pretty ingenious! If can be used to re-charge batteries too. You can actually get these roll-up flexible solar panels in various sizes. Something to think about.

cheers,
Pete #2

Edited by Pete (03/29/11 05:41 PM)

#220509 - 03/29/11 06:18 PM Re: Tough cell phone recommendations [Re: rebwa]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I think Rebwa's from Seattle.

Be great if there's a phone with a snorkel that can be charged by clouds.

I'm from Oregon so feel qualified to razz on the northern neighbor state.

Good luck, Rebwa.

My vote is for an i-Phone. Am waiting for my Verizon contract to expire to get one.

#220511 - 03/29/11 06:35 PM Re: Tough cell phone recommendations [Re: rebwa]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks all and yes we've had all of two days of sunshine here in Olympia this month much the same amount of rain and clouds as Oregon. Charging isn't a problem just want decent battery life.

I probably should have been a little more specific as I’m interested in the flip phones that are sold as "rugged" or military grade or tested. Primary use to make and receive calls. Cases just don’t work for me as I want to pull it out of my pocket and use it.

#220513 - 03/29/11 06:46 PM Re: Tough cell phone recommendations [Re: rebwa]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I expect that in a couple years, we'll be able to insert an i-Phone module into an ear canal, through which nano-bots will sprint into our brain, enabling us to surf the Internet with our eyeballs and make the screen bigger or smaller by waving two fingers in the air.

Can hardly wait. Much more rugged, and waterproof.

You could Control-Alt-Delete by lifting your left and right feet while simultaneously clenching your buttocks.

Somewhere, someone is working on that software....

#220515 - 03/29/11 06:58 PM Re: Tough cell phone recommendations [Re: rebwa]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I have the Casio G'z One (Verizon) which I really like. They do not make the model I have anymore, but you might be able to pick up a used one or look at the current models.

Casio G'z One Phone

Pete

#220521 - 03/29/11 07:35 PM Re: Tough cell phone recommendations [Re: Dagny]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
My vote is for an i-Phone. Am waiting for my Verizon contract to expire to get one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56N7EsOZ5OU

Apparently you can now even make calls with an iPhone 4 with the Verizon network (I've heard that the iPhone was having some problems with the AT&T network). I don't think the iPhone has particularly good talk times or standby times and isn't very rugged for outdoor use and is extremely expensive i.e. upto 4-5x the ownership cost of other capable mobile smartphones.

Typcially an iPhone 4 will cost around £480 compared to £100 for a ruggedised Samsung B2710.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-B2710-Makalu-Water-Mobile/dp/B0042ORU08

The main advantage for the iPhone 4 is of course the ability for the end user to wave them around in the air with any embarrassment down the local pub, club and bar as an aid for social interaction. whistle

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (03/29/11 07:36 PM)

#220522 - 03/29/11 07:36 PM Re: Tough cell phone recommendations [Re: rebwa]
Frisket Offline
Addict

If you wanna go dirt cheap and major basic Nokia Candybar phones for Pay as you go companys are the best bet. They are often designed and made for developing countries with little to no bells and whistles. I have one unactivated for 911 calls that I would bring with me when I consider it would be needed. Also look up videos on some of them the one I own I found a video of two kids throwing it in a sink of water while on and it lasted over a few minutes with no issues.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 537 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.