Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#219772 - 03/19/11 02:24 PM Re: Sleep is More Important than Food [Re: Art_in_FL]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Ann..yes it is.i keep the pain meds my Dr gives me for arthritis in any kit i carry. with that in mind there is a fine line however in pain control and staying alert/aware/a head on you shoulders/to react.it would be a real bummer to the miss the chopper that buzzed my survival camp because i was buzzed.

#219774 - 03/19/11 02:35 PM Re: Sleep is More Important than Food [Re: Ann]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Ann
Hmm. If sleep is more important than food, then perhaps a means of pain relief and some sort of relaxant/sleep aid might be considered essential?

I know guys who take a Tylenol PM every evening before bed when on the trail.

#219777 - 03/19/11 03:24 PM Re: Sleep is More Important than Food [Re: Art_in_FL]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
the older i get, the more sleep, pain managment and hydration factor into my planning. as a mom and scout leader, they have to be priorities, and arthritis and migrains are realities for me so i'm better off to prepare for them.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#219779 - 03/19/11 03:36 PM Re: Sleep is More Important than Food [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
Originally Posted By: Ann
Hmm. If sleep is more important than food, then perhaps a means of pain relief and some sort of relaxant/sleep aid might be considered essential?

I know guys who take a Tylenol PM every evening before bed when on the trail.

I would rather not take any more drugs than necessary. Generally, at the end of a long day on the trail, I can nod off with no trouble. Pain due to injury is another matter, but my experience is that in that situation you want something a bit stronger than OTC stuff.

#219781 - 03/19/11 03:51 PM Re: Sleep is More Important than Food [Re: hikermor]
Ann Offline

Loc: Western Washington
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I would rather not take any more drugs than necessary. Generally, at the end of a long day on the trail, I can nod off with no trouble. Pain due to injury is another matter, but my experience is that in that situation you want something a bit stronger than OTC stuff.

Right, I was referring to having the medications if needed. In my experience any emergency situation that gets your adrenaline going generally makes sleep harder to come by, especially with anxiety thrown into the mix. And when it comes to pain, my thinking is that even minor injuries may interfere with sleep quality and quantity, which could be improved with some measure of relief.

#219803 - 03/19/11 07:15 PM Re: Sleep is More Important than Food [Re: Art_in_FL]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

In my experience the most common 'sleeping pills', and one that is quite effective, is available OTC as an antihistamine: Benadryl/Diphenhydramine. It typically comes in 25mg tablets or capsules and 25 to 50mg will lay most adults out quite handily. It is one of the most commonly used drugs in many hospitals where it is often the drug of choice for patients who need a little something to sleep in the hospital environment.

Diphenhydramine is one of those 'must-haves' in my medical kits. As an antihistamine it often works where more modern antihistamines don't. It works reliably as a sleep aid, controls motion sickness, is an emergency stop-gap for asthma or severe allergic reaction, and even has a role as topical analgesic. It is also cheap with a 100 count bottle of generic going for all of $4.

I go for the capsules because the option of opening them up and using the powder can speed absorption and makes swallowing easier. The powder can be added to food or drink. Diphenhydramine is quite bitter so mix in just enough to ease swallowing. I've been told, don't know for sure and I'll get professional advice before I try it, you can snort the powder or mix with liquid and take as an enema. Which might be useful if the patient can't hold food or drink down.

#219810 - 03/19/11 08:57 PM Re: Sleep is More Important than Food [Re: Art_in_FL]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
My 'sleeping pill' is a long day of hiking, a belly of warm food, lots of stars, and few pulls off the brandy bottle. Out pretty quick.

#219817 - 03/20/11 01:39 AM Re: Sleep is More Important than Food [Re: Art_in_FL]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Benedryl is an OTC antihistamine that can also be used as a sleep aid.

But if you can carry some food (even a few granola bars), it can reduce the WORRY about food, and the less worry, probably the more sleep will be 'allowed'.

Sue

#219821 - 03/20/11 05:28 AM Re: Sleep is More Important than Food [Re: comms]
Ann Offline

Loc: Western Washington
Originally Posted By: comms
My 'sleeping pill' is a long day of hiking, a belly of warm food, lots of stars, and few pulls off the brandy bottle. Out pretty quick.

And if one or more of those factors were not available to you? This is, after all, a "survival and emergency" topic.

#219824 - 03/20/11 12:44 PM Re: Sleep is More Important than Food [Re: Ann]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My experience is that sooner or later you will fall asleep regardless. There are reliable accounts of Civil War soldiers who slept while continuing to march.

Sleep is critical to proper function; get as much as you need whenever possible. You will do much better.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 522 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by jds
0 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.