Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#219814 - 03/19/11 09:32 PM Re: Wireless HD Video Surveillance [Re: Mark_M]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Mark_M
Security is about creating layers of defense, with redundancy if possible.

Excellent points, but I would like to add a few more.

1) Most sliding windows can be lifted out of their frames and the casement locks that come with them are typically weak enough to pop with a flat prybar. Since it's a rental, I doubt permanent alterations are allowed. You can use foam tape to hold blocks in place for the same purpose. Back up the original locks with wood dowels.

http://www.command.com/wps/portal/3M/en_...Vbe7NZP56G6BDgl

2) Buy a decent confetti shredder and use it. No matter what apartment complex I lived in somebody would always go through the trash. I kept finding envelopes that I had thrown out lying on the ground next to the recycling bin. Your identity can be stolen and sold, and it can be VERY expensive for you. If it has your name and adress on it, it get's destroyed. Also consider moving documents off site into a safe deposite box.

3) The same goes for computer data. Encrypt anything else that can be used for identity theft.

4) No idea how to reinforce the door without permanent modifications. Material for convincing the apartment manager is below.

http://www.thenationallocksmith.com/public.asp?2

EDIT
Originally Posted By: ki4buc

The reason I wanted to go with wireless is that I'm assuming that the doors and windows won't do any good. I'm also re-thinking because I'm sure that the opportunistic criminals would be the ones going after the electronics, NOT the really "cool" stuff like identity paperwork ( i.e. birth certificates, passports, social security card, etc. ).

Wanna bet!?! The last time my car was broken into, the theft of my personal papers cost me many times that of replacing the window and radio. Even after adding onto what the insurance covered.

Edited by Mark_R (03/19/11 09:44 PM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#219822 - 03/20/11 11:24 AM Re: Wireless HD Video Surveillance [Re: Mark_M]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: Mark_M
Security is about creating layers of defense, with redundancy if possible.

In my experience, the biggest gap in the typical apartment's layered security is that the apartment management will have keys to your apartment, and thus access whenever it deems it necessary. Most apartment leases I've seen have a clause in them to this effect. So even if you change the locks, they have to have a key. Thus, a lot of the security measures can be simply bypassed. Your apartment can be entered, searched, valuable things noted and indexed.

Good replacement value insurance and off site storage for anything you can't afford to lose is, IMO, the best protection. In particular I do not feel comfortable leaving any firearms in an apartment unless they are in a substantial safe when you are not in the apartment. They just have too much "street" value.

Cameras will help document the theft, maybe even help catch the person. They do not mean you will actually recover anything taken. I'd prefer not to take the loss in the first place.

#219881 - 03/20/11 11:33 PM Re: Wireless HD Video Surveillance [Re: bws48]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Originally Posted By: bws48
I'd prefer not to take the loss in the first place.

Yeah, me neither. Getting my own house is a priority!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.