Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#219295 - 03/15/11 07:34 PM Re: What to do when assistance is badly delayed? [Re: capsu78]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Originally Posted By: capsu78
>SNIP<
explore how the loss of so many first responders, healthcare facilities and local/ regional agencies is impacting the response in some of these worst hit areas... Much of the community "knowledge pool/ trained resources" has be scattered at least, leaving "outsiders", even Japanese ones, to try to get a grip on deciding where to start tackling problems.
Think about losing your local government, Fire, police, sanitation workers, shopkeepers and knowing you are not only waiting for help to arrive, but also waiting for the resources as well as decision making to be begin to match the needed response.
Being your own First Responder will keep most of us on this board quite busy, assuming we are able, but what of the "clueless"?

That's our assumption in the San Francisco Bay Area. Our fire department trains CERT volunteers on the assumption that whoever is here when the quake hits (fire, police, EMI) is all there _will_ be here for weeks, maybe a month. Help will not arrive soon, so we're all on our own.

My assumption is that we'll all get together and help out whoever we can. CERT volunteers are trained in triage, and we'll do what we can. I have no animus toward the clueless. We're all in the same boat and making friends with everyone is a good thing, in my humble opinion. If a person isn't trained in first aid and has little to contribute in terms of food or water, they can be used as a messenger, as someone to gather food, water, wood, to hold the hands of the hurt and confused. Everyone's welcome, even the clueless. Turning away people as unworthy is just not right.

#219296 - 03/15/11 07:49 PM Re: What to do when assistance is badly delayed? [Re: philip]
capsu78 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chicagoland IL
Sorry Phillip,
Didn't want that distiction to come out as cold- I guess I was drawing a distinction between the helpless, who I want to help (good neighbor rules in effect), and the clueless, who, for example plan to throw a hurricane party instead of getting out of the way of a Cat 5 barreling down on them.
I survived the 89 quake in Fremont with nothing but "distraction" while those on your side of the Bay faced disruption and even disaster. I know the cards you are dealt in an earthquake are the cards you are dealt, and am planning to make some "new friends" on that day should the time come again on the new fault line I live near :-)
The fact of the matter is, I don't have CERT training, so I myself fall into the catagory of clueless in many respects, but you are absolutely right that even my lack of training doesn't prevent me from contributing to the solution rather than the problem.

Edited by capsu78 (03/15/11 07:54 PM)

#219312 - 03/15/11 10:05 PM Re: What to do when assistance is badly delayed? [Re: Mark_R]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA

From FEMA: "Your disaster supplies kit should contain essential food, water, and supplies for at least three days."

Well, it's been three days since the earthquake, and Japan is demonstrating how ineffective THAT is!

So much for the 3 Days Rule!

On to Plan B.

Sue

#219325 - 03/16/11 12:59 AM Re: What to do when assistance is badly delayed? [Re: Susan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I think the important phrase in the FEMA statements is "at least" three days. Obviously, more is better. Once you have the basics, you can extend the duration of your emergency preps by simply adding more food and water. Since most people make no advance preparations at all, three days for most of the population would be a vast improvement.

#219343 - 03/16/11 02:42 AM Re: What to do when assistance is badly delayed? [Re: Susan]
MarkO Offline

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: Susan

From FEMA: "Your disaster supplies kit should contain essential food, water, and supplies for at least three days."

Well, it's been three days since the earthquake, and Japan is demonstrating how ineffective THAT is!

So much for the 3 Days Rule!

On to Plan B.

Sue

Nobody is dying of starvation or thirst as far as I know. The disaster there is somewhat unprecedented (EQ, Tsunami, Nuclear problems). I think they're doing ok all things considered.

Edited by MarkO (03/16/11 02:43 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 540 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.