Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#218616 - 03/08/11 11:39 PM Survival of the Survival Forum?
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Seeing OBG's farewell message again gave me some comfort knowing that his knowledge and kind, helpful contributions will continue to live on here on this forum (hopefully forever). However, being a member over on candlepowerforums and watching the disappointment and concern as the owners of that site apparently attempt to reconstruct it from Google caches after a catastrophic failure of some undisclosed type makes me hope that some type of regular backup protocol and disaster plan is in place for The Survival Forum. The information here is truly invaluable and could save many lives in the event of a major disaster. Many people would be devastated if it was lost. Thanks to Doug and the moderators for making the place that it is.

#218629 - 03/09/11 01:54 AM Re: Survival of the Survival Forum? [Re: celler]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Well said.

Thanks to Doug and all the cast of characters for their efforts.

#218636 - 03/09/11 03:15 AM Re: Survival of the Survival Forum? [Re: celler]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Wow, the CPF meltdown is a scare. The wealth of hands-on knowledge that hangs in the balance ... it boggles the mind, and tightens the gut. Such is our brave new digital world.

eek

#218640 - 03/09/11 03:55 AM Re: Survival of the Survival Forum? [Re: celler]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

On one hand I fully believe that ETS is worthy of regular backup and protection from the failures and ephemeral nature of the web medium and server malfunction.

On the other hand I think the main productive output of ETS is not the web site, lots of good information, some of the best overviews and analysis of survival equipment out there, or the forum, as good as it is. Rather the big payoff is in the ideas, concepts and principles impressed upon peoples minds, a way of thinking that transcends equipment and the specifics of any survival situation.

#218642 - 03/09/11 05:10 AM Re: Survival of the Survival Forum? [Re: Art_in_FL]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Agreed Well Said.
Thanks tons to all who make this site one to go to.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#218648 - 03/09/11 01:42 PM Re: Survival of the Survival Forum? [Re: celler]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

I agree that the Candlepower Forums situation is scary.

We do back up the site on a pretty regular basis, including the forums and blog. I'd like to do a daily b/up of the forum and blog, but for a variety of frustrating reasons that seems to be damn near impossible to get done. I thought we found an affordable solution, but it didn't work off the bat and then it got shoved to the back burner to figure out why it didn't work and fix it. Given that the site is hosted for free, what can I say? I keep asking and it keeps getting put off.

All anything takes is money, which we don't have nearly enough of. As such, all I can do is beg, so to speak.

Thanks for the interest and support.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#218662 - 03/09/11 07:09 PM Re: Survival of the Survival Forum? [Re: celler]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I download useful info from the Internet and don't rely on others to back up the info I need. That includes info on Youtube, forum sites, emails, pdf files, etc. I have so much info stored locally that I have not had a chance to study all of it.

Originally Posted By: celler
The information here is truly invaluable and could save many lives in the event of a major disaster. Many people would be devastated if it was lost.

I understand your concern, but I don't necessarily agree. A major disaster is game time. Once the game starts, there's no time to learn how to throw a football for the first time, if you know what I mean. Whoever needs to log on to this site during a major disaster, to learn how to start a fire or whatever, has completely missed the boat on the usefulness of this site.

#218735 - 03/11/11 03:50 AM Re: Survival of the Survival Forum? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter

We do back up the site on a pretty regular basis, including the forums and blog. I'd like to do a daily b/up of the forum and blog, but for a variety of frustrating reasons that seems to be damn near impossible to get done. I thought we found an affordable solution, but it didn't work off the bat and then it got shoved to the back burner to figure out why it didn't work and fix it. Given that the site is hosted for free, what can I say? I keep asking and it keeps getting put off.

All anything takes is money, which we don't have nearly enough of. As such, all I can do is beg, so to speak.

I would be glad to help in any way I can for web related tasks. We are a web development company and utilize our own servers, and bandwidth. We'd be glad to work with you on a free backup solution for the forum or a combined solution for the entire site. I would also like to offer a free(valid) license of vbulletin4.0 to upgrade/migrate the forum too.

-Todd

Edited by Todd W (03/11/11 03:51 AM)

#218752 - 03/11/11 03:00 PM Re: Survival of the Survival Forum? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter

... but has anyone tried to actually do a restore? I would suspect with the lack of additional hardware, and being hosted for free, that probably wouldn't happen.

Do you have any idea how much this site would cost to host?

#218760 - 03/11/11 04:03 PM Re: Survival of the Survival Forum? [Re: celler]
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
There's an organization, the Internet Archive , that crawls the web to build up an historical snapshot of the Internet.

http://waybackmachine.org

This works even if the site is gone. so the CPF folks might want to visit this site. They can rebuild their lost bages by opening the page a viewing the source code. Then paste and edit the code in a web authoring tool.

I noticed that the Equipped To Survive site has been crawled since 1998 but has not been actively crawled since April 2009. Here's a link to their FAQ about crawling.

http://faq.waybackmachine.org/my-sites-not-archived-how-can-i-add-it/

I wonder if the sites robots.txt file has rules that prohit it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.