The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#217932 - 02/24/11 08:21 PM Re: Your Thoughts On Aluminum? [Re: Frisket]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I just bought 3 mugs that are softer then heck Aluminum. At 2.50$ per I figured a car kit or backup uses for them.

There are some bargains to be had for a full sized 2 person HAA cooksets, such as the Coleman Fyrestorm HAA Cookset available for about $10

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/detail.asp?CategoryID=31009&product_id=8552-305

#217933 - 02/24/11 08:39 PM Re: Your Thoughts On Aluminum? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
There are some bargains to be had for a full sized 2 person HAA cooksets, such as the Coleman Fyrestorm HAA Cookset available for about $10

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/detail.asp?CategoryID=31009&product_id=8552-305
Wow! That's cheap, especially for HAA.

In terms of cooking, aluminum is actually a pretty good bet.

Ti is light and strong (and expensive), but a) since it's so strong they usually make the cookware pretty thin and b) it's not a great conductor of heat. Ti ware often = burnt spots. If you want to go fast and light and you're just boiling water to rehydrate foods, Ti is for you (if you've got the bucks).

Stainless steel is cheap and lasts for ever. This is great for loaner gear, gear for groups like Scouts (where it'll take a beating), gear that goes in a car kit (or whatever) that'll be there when you need it even though it's been kicked around for years. Down side is that it's heavy and stainless steel is a pretty poor conductor of heat which can lead to burnt spots. Of course in a survival situation, maybe "finesse" cooking isn't your highest priority.

Regular aluminum is cheap enough and conducts heat well, but dents pretty easily, especially if it's thin. I've got an aluminum cook pot that my dad bought some time in the late 50's/early 60's that's still going strong, but it's a bit heavier gauge aluminum than most of what I see out there today. This is a good option for someone of modest means where weight is a concern.

For my money, hard anodized aluminum is the way to go. It's pretty tough, much less prone to denting than plain aluminum, plenty light (my aircraft aluminum spoon weighs less than if it were made of Ti), and conducts heat well.

HJ

Edited by Hikin_Jim (02/24/11 09:02 PM)
Edit Reason: Add comments about various pot metal types.

#217934 - 02/24/11 08:59 PM Re: Your Thoughts On Aluminum? [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Is this a item no longer in production thus cut in price?

#217935 - 02/24/11 09:15 PM Re: Your Thoughts On Aluminum? [Re: Frisket]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
The whole aluminum scare turned out to be simplistic, popular hysteria that grossly misinterpreted a complex disease.

For regular camping and house use, I've gone to stainless steel because it doesn't change the taste of my food as much as aluminum. (Red wine, though, picks up a nasty taste in any metal cup except enamel.)

I keep aluminum pots in my car kits because it's lighter and much more efficient at heat transfer than stainless. (Take a sip from an aluminum cup full of boiling tea and you'll understand.)

If I were hiking ultralight I'd go with aluminum, both for its weight and its thermal efficiency. And, listening to an aluminum pot "hiss" loudly on the stove would be a trip down memory lane. Though I still wouldn't like the way it changes the taste of the tea.

One of these days I'd like to try a hard anodized aluminum pot.

Edited by dougwalkabout (02/24/11 09:18 PM)

#217936 - 02/24/11 09:23 PM Re: Your Thoughts On Aluminum? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
For taste I'll take glass or titanium . . my daily coffee cup is double wall titanium. I don't recall having any aluminum -- not by fear, just works out that way.

#217937 - 02/24/11 09:49 PM Re: Your Thoughts On Aluminum? [Re: Frisket]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Is this a item no longer in production thus cut in price?

I'm not too sure, you may need to contact Coleman to check to see if the Coleman Cookset is an end of the line product. The Fyrestorm line wasn't a particularly successful product line for Coleman but was being manufactured in some of the highest spec materials. There really isn't much that can go wrong with a pot or a pan though especially one without a handle, but for $10, this would normally be the cost of just the HA pot lifter in many outdoor high street retailers. Seems to be a good product at a very good price for a lightweight durable HAA cookset.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (02/24/11 09:49 PM)

#217938 - 02/24/11 10:16 PM Re: Your Thoughts On Aluminum? [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Honestly Certain things arent worth me chasing around for. That 10$ cookset might cost me a tank of gas to find at any store if its end of the line and a online purchase isnt something I make to common. The Current pot I own is SS and I think its just the Beez Kneez (even tho I havent used it) For its size and weight.

#217940 - 02/24/11 11:30 PM Re: Your Thoughts On Aluminum? [Re: Russ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Russ
. . my daily coffee cup is double wall titanium.

Nice. I assume it has a slot for a Kensington lock? grin

#217941 - 02/25/11 12:06 AM Re: Your Thoughts On Aluminum? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
(Red wine, though, picks up a nasty taste in any metal cup except enamel.)

The classic white vitreous enamelware camping mug. Wow, they're a blast from the past. I forgot that they are still manufactured even today.

http://www.cookability.biz/enamelware-camping-mug/b_3697.htm?SRC=GB1

#217943 - 02/25/11 12:42 AM Re: Your Thoughts On Aluminum? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Kensington lock? So far no problems . . looks like a cheap used metal cup, most peeps just don't know . . cool

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 504 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.