Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#215947 - 01/30/11 04:01 AM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: Art_in_FL]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
No problem, Art. I was just delaying my reply until hurricane season. whistle

Up here, spring means April. Hopefully.

#215950 - 01/30/11 04:59 AM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: Art_in_FL]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
with Minneapolis expecting single digit temps and below zero nites the weather guys on TV are trying to cheer us up by talking about how much longer the days a getting--5:30 sunset and not 4:30--oh wow----

#215992 - 01/30/11 06:22 PM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Hurricanes I can handle. We get a weeks, sometimes several weeks, warning. They are unpredictable in their specific track but localized. Even a direct hit, been there - done that, is a day of preliminaries, 24 hours of mauling, a couple hours of life sliding sideways ... then it is passed. Hurricane season is six months long but the actual event is coming, here, and gone. It isn't like winter, inevitable, unavoidable, ever present, and months long.

Hurricanes are like car crashes. They happen. Here in lurid Technicolor, then gone. You live through them, make it and pick up the pieces, or don't.

Winter in northern climates is a slow grind, a test of endurance, patience, sanity. Cold, wet, miserable, and punctuated by blizzards, and just enough warmth to keep the frigidity from becoming routine. A grind. A grind that wears you down and returns every year. A stalking beast that never goes away for long. An animal that always eventually wins.

So I moved south. Family has history down here. Winter still makes a showing but it is a bit milder, having feasted on the souls of Yankees it is less voracious, and after a few days there is enough warmth to feel my bones warm up. It is still a slap in the face, but it doesn't take up residence; find a job, raise kids, and get into local politics.

This winter has been harsh, as such things go round here. It isn't over yet but I think it is one of the shorter, seven week winters. What made this one bad was the frequency of the hard freezes. At least a half-dozen bitter cold fronts and most of them had three very cold nights in a row. But, even then, mercifully, kind of like being turned into a newt, it gets better. And it feels like we are on the up swing. Bring the heat baby. A coconut breeze is coming and I can't wait.

#215994 - 01/30/11 07:15 PM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My brother, who retired to Bemidji, MN, always says, "There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes." He is probably out ice fishing right now.

Of course, I cheer him on from my location in southern California...

Edited by hikermor (01/31/11 01:49 PM)

#216026 - 01/31/11 04:50 AM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: Art_in_FL]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
for those "not in the know" Bemidji is sort of the last place North in that part of the world that is not a village or State park.even in the part of Canada just North of Bemidji it's just bogs and lakes,unlike the Prairie Provinces to the West,where they have farms,citys and people.the town has a place in my heart as i went to the college there in 1969 when i was out of the Army and looking to get "off the grid" as we would say now.my roommate did a demo for a recreational leadership class on how to make a lean-too and survive if your car went off the road.as a guy from NY that was a wake up call on what to expect when winter set in for real.

#216034 - 01/31/11 10:29 AM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
The sun was finally out yesterday, and the temperature soared to 20 F, so I decided to frolic in the sunshine.

Here are my springtime activities:

1. Put new skids on my snowblower
2. Cleaned the ice, salt, and sand off the garage floor
3. Chopped the packed snow and ice off the driveway
4. Scraped snow off the roof
5. Took down the last of the Christmas lights
6. Dug out extention cords from under 60 inches of packed snow

Today:

It's snowin' again!!!!!

#216127 - 02/01/11 03:12 AM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Cold fronts are coming my way after the recent glorious warming trend which has had me opening the windows in the afternoon. On the up side the forecast is for temperatures to get colder but, fortunately, nowhere near as cold as it was.

#216139 - 02/01/11 10:45 AM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
It's just getting started for us in the midwest. Temps are hovering around zero with some areas blanketed under several feet of snow. The bright side is when the temps get up to double digits it actually feels warm.

#216164 - 02/01/11 05:50 PM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Whoo hoo!

- 46*C today, with a little wind chill of course.

but -1*C predicted for Thursday.

-- I agree with Susan though, what does a person from Florida have to complain about in terms of temperature? smile BTW, I heard the shuttle Columbia is being rolled out today for its last shot into space.

#216166 - 02/01/11 06:00 PM Re: Hang tough ... spring is coming. [Re: ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Spring hasn't come yet to southern Cal - that is the time of year when the grass turns brown.....

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 527 Guests and 103 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.