Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#217939 - 02/24/11 10:43 PM Re: Kitchen Can Opener Woes [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Side cutting can openers are supposed to split the bead rather more to the top so that the top of the can remains sturdy and the neither top nor bottom have any sharp edges.

I just looked at a can I opened with one yesterday and the can top is sound with nary a sharp edge to be seen. I ran my thumb over both sides and found both sides to be quite smooth. I suppose it isn't impossible that you got a unit that was manufactured poorly. Particularly before they became more common.

#218042 - 02/27/11 12:16 AM Re: Kitchen Can Opener Woes [Re: Art_in_FL]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Could be. I'll take another look.

#218047 - 02/27/11 01:03 AM Re: Kitchen Can Opener Woes [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
garland Offline

Loc: harrisburg, pa
I have a farberware can opener I used to replace the cheap chinese junk variety brand I had before and it works like a champ - even 2 years later.
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx

#218065 - 02/27/11 03:08 PM Re: Kitchen Can Opener Woes [Re: philip]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I agree that if your side-cutting can opener is completely cutting off the bead of the can and leaving it floppy, then either that can opener isn't designed properly or might possibly just be made a bit sloppily. Or possibly you aren't using it as the manufacturer intended, such as tilting it so that it locks onto the can under the bead.

I don't recall what brand my manual can opener is, and there aren't any markings on it, but it reliably splits the top edge of the bead of every can. The can is still sturdy, no sharp edges, and no lid falling into the food. It's great!

#218076 - 02/27/11 06:17 PM Re: Kitchen Can Opener Woes [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> possibly you aren't using it as the manufacturer intended

Yeah, well, that's often the way of things. I have no idea whether my side opener cutting below the bead was a design flaw or operator error, but I'll see if I can find another one and try it. My major theory, though, is that I've never had a problem with regular openers; however, I'll keep an open mind and try the side cutter again, as it may be better even though I see no problems with things as they are.

#218078 - 02/27/11 07:41 PM Re: Kitchen Can Opener Woes [Re: philip]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have a side opener that also cuts below the bead; I thought that's the way they worked. The idea being to leave a clean edge at the top. Is that not how they work?

#218079 - 02/27/11 07:58 PM Re: Kitchen Can Opener Woes [Re: Russ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I have a side opener that also cuts below the bead; I thought that's the way they worked. The idea being to leave a clean edge at the top. Is that not how they work?

They are meant to work like this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIjtjhFVnMI

Makes for a precise cut into the rim from the side to create a workable lid. Rigidity of the can does suffer slightly but the remaining edge materiality in the can doesn't make things so weak that you cannot hold the can by the rim without deforming the can. The advantages are that no contents don't have can opener blade crud falling into the can and the can opener remains very clean. The edge appears to be safer as well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kuhn-Rikon-Auto-...6095&sr=8-1

I've just tried the above can opener for the first time this evening and it works very well indeed. Time will tell if it continues to do so.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (02/27/11 08:00 PM)

#218404 - 03/04/11 05:53 PM Re: Kitchen Can Opener Woes [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Sounds like you give your can openers a good workout. If you don't mind a huge contraption hanging off the end of your counter, you might give an Alegacy Standard Restaurant Can Opener a try. It has a metal base plate that mounts to your counter with a bracket that extends out the side. The business end is on a long (12"?) metal bar so you have no problems opening #10 cans. The hand crank is heavy duty and makes quick work of any size can. It is also rebuildable.

These are staple items in restaurant kitchens. I remember using them in my Dad's restaurant for over 20 years and I don't think it ever needed replacement or repairs.

Not bad price either, around $50-70 in a restaurant supply store. The downside is it hangs over the side of the cabinet.

#218428 - 03/05/11 04:18 AM Re: Kitchen Can Opener Woes [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Commercial kitchens have long used those work table mounted units. If you have to open twenty #10 cans you will really appreciate one of those models. Small hand-held units are for the occasional can of soup but your arms will scream before you are half way through a few score large cans. They certainly deserve a hard look if you are setting up a group shelter or mass feeding situation. People who invest in large supplies of rations that come in numerous large cans should consider getting a commercial restaurant-grade can opener.

#218611 - 03/08/11 09:36 PM Re: Kitchen Can Opener Woes [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
The commercial models are great, but they don't really fit in to a residential kitchen. They would be more suited to a workroom. And I agree, the handheld models leave much to be desired when opening a number 10 can. If only there was something in between with the leverage to deal with the big cans, but no permanent mount.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by clearwater
Today at 06:11 PM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.