The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#217355 - 02/17/11 04:29 PM Re: Car Fire Extinguisher [Re: Bingley]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Halon works well in enclosed spaces, not very well outdoors. It is also corrosive so it is not perfect either. It would not have worked well in the 8 or 10 times I have used an extingusher on cars. The dry chem worked on all but the tire on fire, but they did keep the fire supressed long enough for the FD to arrive. It would have been plenty of time to get everyone out even in an accident where you had to cut belts or remove a window (the car was in a parking lot and no one was inside). Although CO2 is probably best for vehicle fires (unless you have foam capability) dry chemical works OK. For engine fires a 10B
:C is usually enough (but I carry more than one). If the car is involved, particularly the fuel tank, the best you can hope for is to supress a pathway to get people out.

For carry I have a 10B:C mounted to the floor in front of the drivers seat mount (under the front of the seat) and a 20B:C mounted on the trunk wall.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Edited by JerryFountain (02/17/11 04:29 PM)

#217391 - 02/17/11 08:22 PM Re: Car Fire Extinguisher [Re: ducktapeguy]
GODSPEED Offline
Stranger

Loc: AZ
That Poly Performance mount looks pretty neat... a little pricy though (considering multiple vehicles). I saw a thread in a 4x4 forum once....where a guy took an adjustable "water bottle" cage/holder made for bicycles that he bought at Walmart and the smaller sized fire extinguishers fit perfectly. I believe it had a rubber strap on it, the mounts they come with are pretty flimsy.
A long time ago in a far away land.... "somebody" forgot to put the oil fill cap back on an Toyota SR22 engine I was driving. I pulled into a Checker Auto Parts to inspect what/where/why there was smoke starting to come from under the hood.... opened the hood and ...whoosh..... flames. I dropped the hood down (not allowing it to lock) ran into the store and came out within a minute with a large fire extinguisher and it went out quickly. I don't know why anybody would not try to put it out.... fight or flight I guess.
Everything was fine and I went on my way... I now carry a fire extinguisher in every vehicle. At the very least to help anyone else out. When I took my C.E.R.T class I remember the Fire Captain showed us how to work the nozzle in a back and forth (left to rightish) or circular motion and it was very effective. Much more effective at putting a large fire down than just aiming for the center. For what it's worth;)

#217419 - 02/18/11 01:51 AM Re: Car Fire Extinguisher [Re: GODSPEED]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: GODSPEED
That Poly Performance mount looks pretty neat... a little pricy though (considering multiple vehicles). I saw a thread in a 4x4 forum once....where a guy took an adjustable "water bottle" cage/holder made for bicycles that he bought at Walmart and the smaller sized fire extinguishers fit perfectly. I believe it had a rubber strap on it, the mounts they come with are pretty flimsy.

Well, if you want to save some cash and make something yourself, here's a write-up on a home-made version of the Poly Performance quick-release mount using $20 of parts:

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31906

Originally Posted By: GODSPEED
A long time ago in a far away land.... "somebody" forgot to put the oil fill cap back on an Toyota SR22 engine I was driving. I pulled into a Checker Auto Parts to inspect what/where/why there was smoke starting to come from under the hood.... opened the hood and ...whoosh..... flames. I dropped the hood down (not allowing it to lock) ran into the store and came out within a minute with a large fire extinguisher and it went out quickly. I don't know why anybody would not try to put it out.... fight or flight I guess.
Everything was fine and I went on my way... I now carry a fire extinguisher in every vehicle. At the very least to help anyone else out. When I took my C.E.R.T class I remember the Fire Captain showed us how to work the nozzle in a back and forth (left to rightish) or circular motion and it was very effective. Much more effective at putting a large fire down than just aiming for the center. For what it's worth;)

Generally speaking, if there's an engine fire you're going to need to replace all the wiring, hoses and belts. Things like the starter, alternator and AC compressor may/may not fail immediately, and so might be overlooked by a repair shop/insurance adjuster. On top of all that, there is the risk of personal injury involved in being close enough to a burning vehicle to try to put out the fire. I can't fault those who would rather stand back and wait for a professional to address the situation. After all, it's just a vehicle.

And yes, you do have to play the fire extinguisher around the fire, not just dump it in the middle. Aim at the front of the base of the fire and spray, work side to side, evaluate the effect and spray additional hot spots.

#217430 - 02/18/11 05:41 AM Re: Car Fire Extinguisher [Re: Mark_M]
GODSPEED Offline
Stranger

Mark_M,
Thanks for the DIY link... looks nice and easy to fab-up. Don't have any "bars" in my vehicles but I could mount this directly to/through steel.
Luckily for me I just had to clean-up, degrease and pull away a little insulation and drove that truck another 50,000 miles. I was 16/17 and the truck belonged to my boss so that probably helped motivate me to do what I did at the time. I definitely see your point and looking at this now.... with a family..... putting out the fire would be the last thing on my mind. Still would try but quite literally the last thing after grabbing my family and g.h.b's and taking them to safety, etc.
Again thanks for the link... second post here and I'm already surprised that I'm surprised by the wealth of knowledge and courtesy here. (it's late)

Godspeed

#217507 - 02/19/11 03:48 AM Re: Car Fire Extinguisher [Re: GODSPEED]
GODSPEED Offline
Stranger

One more thing I remembered about fire extinguishers.... concerning them being stored in vehicles.
The Fire Department here dismounts them periodically to beat them with a rubber mallet while holding them upside down/sideways. They do this to "dislodge" the powder that settles at the bottom....... all of the vibration etc. caused by being in a vehicle really settles/concentrates the powder at the bottom. So much so that it's problematic.
I wonder if the same should be done for a smaller unit stored in a "regular" vehicle?.... their trucks rattle like crazy just idling.

#217512 - 02/19/11 12:16 PM Re: Car Fire Extinguisher [Re: Bingley]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Kidde Auto Fire Extinguisher

i've got the same one. i keep it in the trunk, in the spare tire well. (my old car would be better dead than alive so i've got it more to help others than to save it.)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 600 Guests and 157 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.