Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#216654 - 02/08/11 01:37 PM Grylls Parang machete
ulfhedinn Offline

Loc: Europe
This morning I got my new Bear Grylls Parang Machete.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v356/ulfhedinn/?action=view&current=gerber.jpg
I frequently use machetes. As you can see on the photo, among others I also have the Cold Steel kukri and the Fiskars/Gerber
brush thinner. The brush thinner was my favorite working machete. But using the BG Parang I must say it also is excellent. It feels a bit "top" heavy, a little bit like an axe. It slices through wood like butter, it's incredible. I also chopped some harder wood and could not see damage to the edge. I also received the much discussed Bear Grylls knife. It feels solid to. A couple of video's on You Tube showed Gerber has worked on the "pommel flaw". I have yet to test it.

#216664 - 02/08/11 05:16 PM Re: Grylls Parang machete [Re: ulfhedinn]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Funny you mention the Fiskars brush thinner. It's my least favorate machete due to the curved top, and normally around here we use it on thick brush and tree limbs and it just gets in the way. I actually plan to re-shape mine so the front little hook is no longer in the way.

My Kukri was a much better machete for out here but it was a 15 cold steel cheapy I was just testing. Someday I`ll step up to the Ka-Bar.

The BG looks interesting but like you lose some power due to the shape did it seem like that?

Thanks for review and pics!

#216667 - 02/08/11 06:00 PM Re: Grylls Parang machete [Re: Todd W]
ulfhedinn Offline

Loc: Europe
No! That is just what I mean. It feels like the most powerfull of the lot. Like I said, it is balanced well in front of the handguard. If you balance it on your finger, you have to put it about where the edge begins. Being heavier towards the tip of the blade and because it has the thickness of a good machete(just measured 0.116inch)alltough stiffer, it realy slices through wood. The brush thinner is more of a tool for clearing an entangled mess of twigs, small branches etc. I also use it as a hook so it helps me climb a short way up a tree (not safe, I know). And I use the thinner when picking up small branches so I don't have to bend over as much. Also, when it is very sharp, it is usefull for cutting gras like clearing a spot to put a tent. But is far as raw cutting power, the parang feels superior.

#216695 - 02/09/11 01:42 AM Re: Grylls Parang machete [Re: ulfhedinn]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Great to know! Will keep an eye out for a deal wink

#216715 - 02/09/11 05:48 AM Re: Grylls Parang machete [Re: ulfhedinn]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Kinda funny i never seen him ever use a parang and Ray mears uses one almost exclusively but Grylls is the one to come out with his own brand coated product. Actually if you look at it and compare it to real traditional parangs it looks more like a reversed Kuhkri then a true parang which I dont understand why they would do that

Personally id rather go with something around these lines even tho I do not know much about the brand.

http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?strPa...chStartRecord=1

Now that's one sexy Parang right thar in my eyes!

Edited by Frisket (02/09/11 05:55 AM)

#216722 - 02/09/11 12:59 PM Re: Grylls Parang machete [Re: Frisket]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Frisket
Kinda funny i never seen him ever use a parang and Ray mears uses one almost exclusively but Grylls is the one to come out with his own brand coated product. Actually if you look at it and compare it to real traditional parangs it looks more like a reversed Kuhkri then a true parang which I dont understand why they would do that

Personally id rather go with something around these lines even tho I do not know much about the brand.

http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?strPa...chStartRecord=1

Now that's one sexy Parang right thar in my eyes!

At SHOT show I got to play with one of those Condor parangs you linked to above. The workmanship is a little rough but in a way that just adds to its sweet "must cut everything in sight" nature. laugh It looks like it just came out of the jungle.

I also played with BG's parang. I liked the blade and think it would do well here in the rain forests of Houston but the handle just hurt to look at. It seemed too high-tech for such a primitive blade. It felt okay, but I hated the way it looked and begged the Gerber folks to come out with a wood-handled one.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 276 Guests and 84 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.