The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#216288 - 02/02/11 07:41 PM Why the tell you not to drive in a blizzard
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
http://www.wgntv.com/weather/chibrknews-lake-shore-drive-closed-due-to-blizzard-20110201,0,1675125.story

Wholly Bovine!

#216291 - 02/02/11 08:32 PM Re: Why the tell you not to drive in a blizzard [Re: MartinFocazio]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
That picture says it all - excellent photo!

That kind of snow drifts you see in the picture (with all those funky shapes and cavities) can get surprisingly hard if the wind blows hard and long enough. Usually, you can forget about smashing through them with a vehicle - but it takes quite a bit of blowing to make them hard enough to walk on.

Oh, and in those conditions extremely fine powdered snow will make its way into every possible and some impossible openings. Pop the hood of any of those vehicles and you'll find a block of snow with an engine inside. That needs to get cleared out before you go anywhere.

Snow is amazing stuff.

#216315 - 02/03/11 02:57 AM Re: Why the tell you not to drive in a blizzard [Re: MartinFocazio]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I like the people that try to blast threw snow Mounds made by the plows that run infronta their driveways. They always get stuck and often tear their plastic bumper off.

#216322 - 02/03/11 04:25 AM Re: Why the tell you not to drive in a blizzard [Re: MartinFocazio]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Hmmmm..... I wonder how many of those people, in retrospect, thought that particular trip was really important?

"Many of those motorists have blamed the city for failing to close the drive and said there appeared to be no organized rescue plan."

There was a blizzard coming, everyone knew it, and yet they kept driving.

Sue

#216333 - 02/03/11 12:57 PM Re: Why the tell you not to drive in a blizzard [Re: MartinFocazio]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I'm impressed that the FD had snowmobiles. Do they have a winter racing team or something?

Folks are occasionally rescued from their cars during winter around here. It's not what you and your car can do, it's the accident somewhere in front of you that will create the stoppage. All it takes is ONE. (I hear this on my scanner a lot).

#216351 - 02/03/11 06:29 PM Re: Why the tell you not to drive in a blizzard [Re: MartinFocazio]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
I was impressed that someone left there trucks windows down and the storm well left them a presant. That is a car that will be totaled when the show starts to melt.

Looking at the pictures of some of the higways I was impressed that I didn't even see ways to get around even if you had a truck or SUV that could deal with the snow depths. So even if you were prepaired and able to move, uness you had "Bigfoot" or "Gravedigger" you wernt' going anywhere.

#216401 - 02/04/11 02:22 AM Re: Why the tell you not to drive in a blizzard [Re: Frisket]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Wow, that snow depth is insane.

Originally Posted By: Frisket
I like the people that try to blast threw snow Mounds made by the plows that run infronta their driveways. They always get stuck and often tear their plastic bumper off.

I do that everyday in my jeep. laugh

But NEVER when I borrow my parents' civic.

#216414 - 02/04/11 11:16 AM Re: Why the tell you not to drive in a blizzard [Re: Tyber]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Tyber

Looking at the pictures of some of the higways I was impressed that I didn't even see ways to get around even if you had a truck or SUV that could deal with the snow depths. So even if you were prepaired and able to move, uness you had "Bigfoot" or "Gravedigger" you wernt' going anywhere.

All it takes is some obstacle that creates less wind on the leeward side and you'll have a big snow bank right there. Just a slight depression so the wind isn't blowing as hard as everywhere else and the snow will accumulate.

It doesn't take much precipitation - the wind will collect it and basically dump it all in one place, right where you don't want it.

#216550 - 02/06/11 08:27 PM Re: Why the tell you not to drive in a blizzard [Re: unimogbert]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: unimogbert
I'm impressed that the FD had snowmobiles. Do they have a winter racing team or something?

Folks are occasionally rescued from their cars during winter around here. It's not what you and your car can do, it's the accident somewhere in front of you that will create the stoppage. All it takes is ONE. (I hear this on my scanner a lot).

I read somewhere that the FD rented 200 of them (on a no bid basis of course) from a politically connected source at an insane price. But, that is about the only way anything happens in Chicago.

The same place reported the real problem was not the snow but that lake water was being blown up on LSD creating ice that actually led to the accidents that closed it down.

Bob

#216562 - 02/06/11 11:39 PM Re: Why the tell you not to drive in a blizzard [Re: MartinFocazio]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
If you own snow mobiles, you may consider contacting your local emergency management office. They may like to have volunteers that would be willing to help out. Especially in areas where severe winter weather does not occur more than a few days on average over a few years.

Most places won't do this, but at least if you're part of emergency response before hand, it is really unlikely your equipment could be "borrowed" (with "just" compensation ) during a local state of emergency.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 546 Guests and 104 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.