Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#2155 - 10/20/01 03:10 AM Buy Doug's Kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know Doug is not commercially selling this kit. Any chance Doug will subcontract out the work and sell it at some point? I have no idea where to begin looking for many of the items on the list and bet there are many newbies in my position. Any other alternatives? Thanks.

#2156 - 10/20/01 06:03 AM Re: Buy Doug's Kit
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Welcome Sean, No, Doug isn't going to market his kit. I am in communication with a mutual aquaintance, and we would like to market one. My hope is to put a truly worthy unit on the market at a fair price. I suggest you first take stock of what you do have, set some priorities and begin your own assembly. I started out with a $1 box of strike anywhere matches, sheath knife,compass and canteen. Just keeping these on my person put me in a mental frame of preparedness. Now, a few decades worth of schools, videos and purchases later I fret over unforseen shortfalls( as snowshoes, jungle machetes and lifepreservers fall out of overstuffed closets.) We have lots of resources listed here, any questions, just ask. You can email me anytime.

#2157 - 10/20/01 03:02 PM Re: Buy Doug's Kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

A good starting point for me was the Penrith survival kit. It has a lot of the stuff you will need for a good kit. Then you can add, modify or whatever. It's for sale at www.tripleaughtdesign.com

#2158 - 10/21/01 04:30 AM Re: Buy Doug's Kit
Aeroscout Offline
newbie member

Loc: Michigan
I built my own kit, and I got a lot of enjoyment out of doing it.<br>It did take some research and planning. It also cost me more than I planned on because I had to purchase some things in large quanitys such as the water purifications repacking bottles listed on this site. But I have a much better understanding of what's in the kit and how to use it. And because I built it myself its not a big deal when the time comes to replace the expired items.

#2159 - 10/22/01 02:54 PM Re: Buy Doug's Kit
gulliamo Offline

Loc: Denver, CO, USA
I am successfully building a few kits myself. I just cannot find the Brunton 15mm compass! Any web sites that sell this?

#2160 - 10/22/01 05:12 PM Re: Buy Doug's Kit
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
I bought the thermometer/compass zipper pulls that you can attach to your coat zipper. I intend to pop out the compass, but I haven't tied to yet. They cost approx. $3.

#2161 - 10/22/01 05:35 PM Re: Buy Doug's Kit
peanut Offline
Journeyman

I have bought 2 of the Coleman Compass/Thermometer zipper pulls. The first I attached to my keyring, and the compass fell out within hours, never to be seen again. I took it back and got a replacement. One sharp tap on the back, over where the compass is, with my multitool freed the compass. But the compass is so cheap, not inexpensive, that it rarely points north except by luck. Mine is totally worthless. I may try again, another brand. This time I'll check the compass before purchase. Caveat Emptor.

#2162 - 10/22/01 06:19 PM Re: Buy Doug's Kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

I understand the problem. I followed up on two leads for this compass, and both evaporated on me- one just replied with the difficulties he'd had with the company, the other quit replying at all. I've heard they can be had from Brunton in lots of 50, but have yet to talk to anyone that's succeeded in getting a lot.<br><br>I ended up stocking two kits with compasses I pulled from (REI) compass-thermometer zipper pulls, but after I bought them I noticed that they were manufactured by Sun for REI. I've had two other Sun "watchband" compasses develop bubbles just from sitting in a drawer for a couple of years, so I'm not too hopeful. They were held in with double-sided tape, and could be worked loose by hand- eventually.<br><br>You can use Silva or Suunto watchband compasses if you have the space- they come with a velcro wristband, and it is nice to be able to check the compass on the move without stopping, whether on wrist or pinned to clothing.. but, even without the wristband, they're more than twice the size, and that can be a real problem for the small-tin kits.<br><br>The British "SAS" NATO-kit compass is an alternative, seems adequate, though not fluid filled, but it is very expensive for what it is.<br><br>Workarounds... but, bottom line, I've looked a lot, and I'm still looking.<br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.