Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#215857 - 01/28/11 07:33 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Coleman Xtreme [Re: NightHiker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
GREAT review Jim! Thanks for taking the time and putting forth the effort.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
I've got the two burner version (xponent) and I absolutely love it.
Oh, you mean this one? smile A very nice stove. Great for groups.

HJ

#215898 - 01/29/11 11:40 AM Re: Stove of the Week: Coleman Xtreme [Re: Hikin_Jim]
hercdoc Offline
Journeyman

Loc: L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Thanks for all the SOTW post so far. I'm very fortunate to have a Coleman Outlet store close to where I work. I have purchased all three of the Exponent X-series stoves (Xpert, Xtreme, Xpedition) which I picked up for less than half price when they were having an inventory reduction sale. I also bought the Coleman Powermax Fuel Adapter that allows stoves that are fueled by Powermax Fuel to adapt to threaded butane/propane canisters. I have yet to use the Xpedition but the other two have seen their share of cooking. I use the Xpert the most just because of the four-leg stability and I have never had a problem with any of the canisters connecting or leaking when disconnected. I continue to hear that Coleman will quit making the fuel cartridges but the sales associates at the store tell me that it's not true. I still stop and pick up a few when the store is having a sale and if they ever do quit I have the adapter.
Thanks again for your time and keep those reviews coming and I'll keep reading. (Pssst!..I have a few stoves too...Shhhhh!).

Edited by hercdoc (01/29/11 11:41 AM)

#215931 - 01/30/11 12:11 AM Re: Stove of the Week: Coleman Xtreme [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I'm glad some people are enjoying my SOTW posts. smile Fun for me to show my stuff.

Give your Xpedition a try; it's really a fun stove, and for short hike isn't that heavy. It's perfect for things like Boy Scout troops.

You have stoves? smile Anything interesting?

HJ

#215933 - 01/30/11 12:41 AM Re: Stove of the Week: Coleman Xtreme [Re: Hikin_Jim]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
HJ,

I know of several winter tents with scorch marks from an XGK (some of the stoves were mine :0 ). A good stove and my most used for field work (probably because I can use avgas in it). I am now using my second, an EX. Missed the II because my original worked for years till an airline baggage handler crushed it (airline damage cost me my 123 also).

Looks like I should be on the lookout for a used xtreme.

Thanks again,

Jerry

#216070 - 01/31/11 06:00 PM Re: Stove of the Week: Coleman Xtreme [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Jerry,

Your experience points out one of the biggest pluses of the Xtreme: no priming. In foul weather when you're all buttoned up in your tent and you need to cook inside, the Xtreme is a great stove choice. There is no priming and no flare ups. With an XGK, which is a great stove don't get me wrong, flare ups happen. Even the most experienced will occasionally have a flare up during priming. Priming with alcohol goes a long way to eliminate flare ups, but look for a post on that about +3 SOTW posts out.

In my "mini-series" (within the larger SOTW series), I'm going to talk about the following light weight winter capable stoves:
Coleman Xtreme (for 1/22/2011)
MSR Simmerlite (for 1/29/2011)
MSR Wind Pro (for 2/5/2011)
Borde stove (for 2/12/2011)

Of those four, the Xtreme would be my first choice for cooking inside a tent. It requires no priming, is the least likely to flare up, and has a good temperature range (putatively to -10F/-23C although I've never taken it that low).

There are some new ones available on eBay right now. I'm tempted, but I already have a couple. Note that I am not selling any Xtreme stoves on eBay; this is not a hidden sales pitch. No affiliation.

HJ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (sgt253), 257 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.